• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

I heard a pair of klipsch kg2 that were nails on chalkboard

also not speakers but every beyerdynamic headphone I've heard has been a bad experience, especially the DT-990s
 
Phase Tech PC-3.1Mk II. Fancily packaged P.O.S., ghastly bright and hard. No redeeming values. They were sold immediately.
 
Elac B6’s. They had no high end. Very rolled off, which I’m not surprised by on some old vintage speakers, but not on modern speakers at that price point.
 
JBL 100....I had the 88+12 version and the one note bass was ok but the midrange driver had a horrible peak that reminded me of the ESS Heil tweeter peak...I unhooked both tweeter and midrange and used a RTR-ESR 6 module and this became quite a good combo.
 
You guys are poo pooing some very revered speakers by name and by type.

I love it, and could not be more in agreement.

Can't wait for the rebuttals.
Found 3, well 2 1/2 speakers here so far that I've owned, and agree with the opinions.
This is becoming a very informative thread, especially from those responding explaining why they didn't like those speakers.
 
The Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-BS21 and SP-FS51. (I think the BS and FS part of the model number perhaps doesn't stand for bookshelf or floor standing...) The fuss made over these cheap things was ridiculous.

They are utterly putrid, absolutely no redeeming sonic qualities whatsoever. Just sound flat, lifeless and distinctly non-HiFi. The cabinets are lovely for the price however.

I've often thought if they remade the Blues Brothers shopping mall scene, they could stack a HiFi store with those Pioneer speakers and smash their car into it. No great loss. We all know John Landis used real stock in those shops.
 
Last edited:
The Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-BS21 and SP-FS51. (I think the BS and FS part of the model number perhaps doesn't stand for bookshelf or floor standing...) The fuss made over these cheap things was ridiculous.

They are utterly putrid, absolutely no redeeming sonic qualities whatsoever. Just sound flat, lifeless and distinctly non-HiFi. The cabinets are lovely for the price however.

I've often thought if they remade the Blues Brothers shopping mall scene, they could stack a HiFi store with those Pioneer speakers and smash their car into it. No great loss. We all know John Landis used real stock in those shops.
Well, talk about a candid no nonsense review.:whip:
Love how you added that little positive note at the end :biggrin: LOL
Wish folks like you wrote for those overblown hi-fi mags instead of the usual yes men.
 
The Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-BS21 and SP-FS51. (I think the BS and FS part of the model number perhaps doesn't stand for bookshelf or floor standing...) The fuss made over these cheap things was ridiculous.

They are utterly putrid, absolutely no redeeming sonic qualities whatsoever. Just sound flat, lifeless and distinctly non-HiFi. The cabinets are lovely for the price however.

I've often thought if they remade the Blues Brothers shopping mall scene, they could stack a HiFi store with those Pioneer speakers and smash their car into it. No great loss. We all know John Landis used real stock in those shops.
There was much more fuss and ballyhoo over the SP-BS22-LR speakers than the other model mentioned. While I don't feel that the 22's are putrid, I agree that they're lackluster and pedestrian at best. It's one of those things where they might sound good to an inexperienced person at least until he/she hears something better. IMO their best attribute was the price point.
 
There was much more fuss and ballyhoo over the SP-BS22-LR speakers than the other model mentioned. While I don't feel that the 22's are putrid, I agree that they're lackluster and pedestrian at best. It's one of those things where they might sound good to an inexperienced person at least until he/she hears something better. IMO their best attribute was the price point.
I have a pair of these also. I think they are a complete piece of ****. They have the allure of being a nice speaker at first, but when you compare them to other speakers, they completely suck. Even Denis Murphy's attempts to repair are certainly questionable.;....
 
I have a pair of these also. I think they are a complete piece of ****. They have the allure of being a nice speaker at first, but when you compare them to other speakers, they completely suck. Even Denis Murphy's attempts to repair are certainly questionable.;....
The truth is I agree with you, I was trying to be nice or something like that. I considered giving the Dennis Murphy mods but figured at best it would be akin to putting lipstick on a pig, I had better speakers to work with so they sat in their box for more than a year until I dumped them on somebody else.
 
Back
Top Bottom