• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

Well, at some point in our lives, we have to make a decision if we like what we hear or not. I soon decided that is was not my cup of tea.

I will give the original speakers one plus, and that is they are OK for the sale price of $80 (which is what I paid), but beyond that......
 
The truth is I agree with you, I was trying to be nice or something like that. I considered giving the Dennis Murphy mods but figured at best it would be akin to putting lipstick on a pig, I had better speakers to work with so they sat in their box for more than a year until I dumped them on somebody else.
I sold mine on thEbay and never got any feedback from the buyer. :idea:Maybe they were also trying to be nice.
 
The truth is I agree with you, I was trying to be nice or something like that. I considered giving the Dennis Murphy mods but figured at best it would be akin to putting lipstick on a pig, I had better speakers to work with so they sat in their box for more than a year until I dumped them on somebody else.

I couldn't in good conscience give those Pioneers away. They are still in a box hidden in the back of my walk in robe. The floorstanders are at my Dad's and he gave them about 10 minutes listening before declaring them 'horrible'.

*edited

The fact that a 'respected speaker designer' put his name and signature on the back of them is beyond me. Anyway, they cost so little, I have more than got my money's worth in this thread lambasting the wretched things.

I'm at peace now.

:)
 
Last edited:
I saw a couple other folks mentioned the Klipsch KG2; I agree completely. I also detested my pair of Boston Acoustics A100 so much I gave them away after only living with them a few days.
 
I did't really consider them to be "terrible," just not very good and not worthy of the hype. That's what was terrible about them.
I agree, just found it funny they were mentioned so much more often than other speakers.
And yes I've heard much worse speakers most not even worth mentioning
but also heard speakers that maybe weren't quite up to the build level of the Pioneers, but sounded better to my ears.
 
Last edited:
Maybe this thread needs a new title:
No Hurt Feelings but why do you think the Pioneer BS22 speakers sound terrible?
LOL!

Especially when one of the their loudest cheerleaders at the time is in this very thread trashing them! Man, they were only $60.00 bucks, what did they expect; Dayton Airs??
 
BIC Venturi Formula 6. I "moved up" to these from Dynaco A-50s. Big mistake. For a while I thought they were great. I was in crank-it-up mode and they were good for that. I eventually thought them harsh, with poor imaging, and weak bass. Wish I still had the A-50s, but right now I am listening to A-35s with a bit of subwoofer added, and all is well. Dynaco speakers are evergreens.
 
I had the pioneer BS21 and never liked them and I tried hard to make them work for me but eventually sold them, I kept the center speaker as it sounds great and currently use it in my HT set up. Also tried hard to like a set of Klipsch KG5.2 I recently had but the lack of midrange and sloppy bass were deal breakers.
 
I generally dislike the sound of pretty much any speaker that uses paper-cone tweeters.

I thought Phenolic paper cones sounded good for their day! Hard to beat a good Morel soft dome, but if I went paper it would be a big Phenolic like Altec once used!
DC
 
These brutal ear chisels, Pyramid Metranome 3. The highs and lows were fine, but the mids sounded like cast iron frying pans with a voice coil. They’d tan your ears!
May have been a design flaw, mids may have needed to be run out of phase, but I never did that.
27233942-6F95-4485-A287-7280360BCF8E.jpeg
 
I think you guys missed a very obvious set. Any Fisher Product after Avery sold out to the Japanese totally sucked. Not worth even looking at them. Not from experience mind you but my worst were Lafayette Criterion 100s back in the day of the early '70s......Lew
 
I was totally unimpressed with Boston Acoustics A100 too. Maybe my setup was not to their liking, but I found them to be nothing like I was expecting...
 
The first time I heard Vandersteen 2Ci speakers in a dealer demo, I could not understand what all the fuss was about. The sound I heard was rolled-off in the highs, undynamic, and generally uninvolving. Several years later I heard that same speaker model in a system that matched it better and was bowled over by how good the sound was. I don't know what the problem was at the dealer -- poor speaker placement, a poor match between his Linn integrated amp and the speakers, a bad-sounding source component, or a combination of those factors -- but the result was bad sound from speakers that were capable of far better performance.

My middle son is currently using a pair of 2Cis that I picked up for him in the used market, and he loves the sound that he gets from them. They sound great to me, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom