Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
I’m looking at a full original ST70 kit, I know the value of a mint 70 and the value of NOS tubes. The big question is what value added comes from a unassembled kit? I can’t believe there’s to many of these laying around. Thanks in advance for your help
While there's no doubt of collector value, As a Kit. What would you do with it?
If you're going to build it; Are you up to the task?
The Orig caps are dried up and will need to be replaced.
there goes that resale value.
It's still one of the most plentiful tube amps ever made.
I'd say put it on Ebay. I agree with Nyjblbob, new capacitors should be used. Somewhere out there, there is somebody into originality who will be willing to pay up for it. It's an easy kit to build if you can solder. It would be easy to do some upgrades during the assembly process.
I think people or maybe I’m missing something, I don’t think the kit should be touched, if it’s built all you have is a mint 70. I’m looking for a collector’s view of the value.
I say offer the unbuilt kit on Ebay with lots of photos. You might want to check past sales. Also there are Dynaco forums on Facebook and elsewhere. I know an unbuilt Citation I went for big bucks on Ebay a few years ago.
IMO, that’s a very very limited audience out there that would covet a mint ST-70 kit that will stay as a kit. So only pay what it’s worth to you to have such a collectible, not for investment value or appreciation.
It doesn't pass a signal, it's ethereal glow can't be seen, it's soft hum can't be heard, the dust and dander cooking on the envelopes can't be smelled, and there will be no point in a non-stop hunt for good black plate 7199's.
"Hey, i see you have an un-built ST-70 kit. That's really cool!" aaaaaaand we're all done here...
Now, i'm gonna go home and listen to some Dire Straits on mine through big-ass horns.
That said, i know a fella with several unbuilt kits(HK as well as Dyna) adorning his office. I look at them covetously whenever i visit the business. I think it's a thing only us audio nerds/nuts can appreciate.
People aren't logical. IMHO, there's somebody out there who will pay big bucks for an original kit. If they want to put it on a shelf, so be it. IMHO again, ST-70s, though nice, are way overpriced for what they are.
These come up from time to time, one of the most popular (common) amplifiers ever manufactured can be uncommon in this state, but not the hope diamond.
I know this isn’t a pot of gold, the 70 value $600-$800, NOS tubes $600, asking price $1500. Given I won’t build the amp or sell the tubes, what is the total value? Thanks to all that responded
Me?, I would build it. There is a reason why these amplifiers never went out of production from one company or another. Not rare at all, and unopened kits pop up all the time. Rarer are the factory built amps. Price for the kit may also depend on the power transformer? The earlier kits used a smaller power transformer.
I would build it with updated caps resistors etc. and run the heck out of it. Why keep it nice for the next guy.
Like trailer queen classic cars in my humble opinion.