• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NOS Dynaco ST70 kit value

I agree that the buyer will want it as a kit, either to enjoy building it for the first time or to display as a kit.

Although these kits do pop up for sale from time to time it is rare enough to be collectible as a kit, 1,000 or maybe 10,000 nice assembled, updated, modded, etc. ones pop up for each one kit so one of the most popular amplifiers of all time is a bit rare in an unmolested kit.

If my son were a few years younger I might be the one buying it to assemble with him, what a great experience.
 
World is bunghole deep in assembled Dyna Stereo 70s needing TLC, this is interesting for what it is.
I am reminded of a pic from long ago of a fellow AKer's garage wall covered with Mc 225's. An unbuilt kit would have been the perfect centerpiece.

Who's our resident ST-70 collector?
 
That reminds me of the expensive bottles of collector's item whisky. You don't want to open it, since the value vanishes as soon as you do, so you're best to optimize the enjoyment of your buzz if you do. Maybe hang on to it for a bit and sell it, unopened.
 
There was a NOS sealed, unbuilt SCA80Q on fleabay recently,listed at $500. Seemed nuts to me, but hey, if someone wants to pay that, I guess that's what it's worth. The ST70 would of course be much more desirable, but if I was going to sink a grand or more into an amp, it sure wouldn't be into an original ST70. As others have said... To some weird collector someplace,.... Maybe.
 
There was a NOS sealed, unbuilt SCA80Q on fleabay recently,listed at $500. Seemed nuts to me, but hey, if someone wants to pay that, I guess that's what it's worth. The ST70 would of course be much more desirable, but if I was going to sink a grand or more into an amp, it sure wouldn't be into an original ST70. As others have said... To some weird collector someplace,.... Maybe.
Or a clone kit from Dynakit. I built the VTA ST-70 knowing the driver board wasn't a Dynaco design. But the Dynakit clones are a faithful reproduction.
 
The vintage unbuilt Heathkit/Dynakit collector market is pretty big. I've seen mostly unassembled testing gear, ham equipment, and radio stuff but rarely anything relating to hi-fi.
I've seen open box of unbuilt heathkit tuner sell for close to a grand and that was several years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if an unbuilt ST70 sold for much much more than that.
 
Did the kit come with tubes? Those alone would bring some serious cash. I would think a NOS ST70 kit with tubes, to a collector, would be well north of $1K - in a good auction with several bidders maybe well north of $2K.
 
If the NOS ST-70 kit with original tubes is $1500, I would say buy it and build it. Getting a Bob Latino kit , add all the Russian or Chinese tubes, and you're at $1200 already.

Having a mint ST-70 that you built yourself (perhaps with updated caps), with ZERO hours of NOS vintage tubes, priceless.
 
Back
Top Bottom