• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Offical Frank Zappa Thread

I bought "Freak Out" when it came out (I was 15) and have been on the ride ever since.
 
Just watched "The Dub Room Special" especially liked the live line up including George Duke.

Any good George Duke recommendations? and other recordings with FZ?

I'm a huge Duke fan...he influenced my own playing a great deal. So you want some Duke recommendations?

On FZ recordings I'd say Grand Wazoo ( eat that question) and Roxy are my faves.

On his own, I love Duke's early BASF label stuff. Feel is a great and raw funky synth trip with some Killer (!) FZ appearances (under a wacky pseudonym). From Me To You also has some really good tunes on it but no FZ. Reach for It is Duke at his funky 70s best and highly recommended.

Jblnut
 
First turned on to Zappa by my uncle in the late 70's. He was playing Sheik Yer Bouti and I went out and picked it up and then worked my way back through his catalog. I had a hard time "getting" the older stuff and wrote it off as a bunch of noise, but once you see concert footage of it, that's when you "get it". Currently I have a total of 207 Zappa LP's/CD's/DVD's in my collection. Guess he grew on me a little bit.
 
I saw Frank at the Uptown Theatre in Chicago in '81 when he was collecting ladies underwear for his quilt. It was about halfway through the show, and in between songs he asked the ladies to start givin' them up - Panty Rap! - I forget what the next song was, but in the middle of it this big mama, at the least 300 lbs, comes up to the stage and whips her big red panties at Frank, who picks them up, stops the band in mid-stride, admiring them and showing the audience, we're all bustin' a gut, then puts them over his head, starts the band up, and sang the rest of the song THRU them! I laughed so hard tears were comin' down my face............and he collected more underwear in Chicago than anywhere else.
DSC02485.JPG


Girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin.........................
 
Last edited:
I'm a huge Duke fan...he influenced my own playing a great deal. So you want some Duke recommendations?

On FZ recordings I'd say Grand Wazoo ( eat that question) and Roxy are my faves.

On his own, I love Duke's early BASF label stuff. Feel is a great and raw funky synth trip with some Killer (!) FZ appearances (under a wacky pseudonym). From Me To You also has some really good tunes on it but no FZ. Reach for It is Duke at his funky 70s best and highly recommended.

Jblnut

Thanks for the Duke references, I listened to "Fillmore East, June 1971" yesterday. The guy likes his groupies.
 
I can't remember where I read this (or if I just dreamt it or something), but ...

FZ's audience as gauged by the letters he received was largely comprised of adolescent males. And what do adolescent males like best? Dick jokes, fart jokes and gross humor. So his modus operandi was to use those as bait to hook the little bastards into ACTUALLY LISTENING TO SOME MUSIC! Worked on me -- I was taken in by the off-color material, but eventually I realized that it was disguising some very sophisticated musical ideas and performances.

FZ opened me up to all kinds of new auditory experiences and made me, by turns, a prog-rock fan, a jazz fan and a (still-limited, but even the genius of Frank can't completely turn a sow's ear into a silk purse!) classical fan.

Jeez, I miss him.

And I think "One Size Fits All" is my favorite too ... although, maybe "Apostrophe" or "Overnite Sensation" or "Waka-Jawaka" or "Roxy & Elsewhere" or ...
 
Just picked up this gem and if your down for some serious jamming sans lyrics check out " The Grand Wazoo (Think It Over)" & "Big Swifty". Some great jazz, boogie, fusion stuff. WOW!!!! The meters on my amp are groovin & jumpin

Live recording from Boston Music Hall 1972

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 51uUtVBdwqL._SX300_.jpg
    51uUtVBdwqL._SX300_.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I got into Zappa about two years ago when I got a mint copy of Grand Wazoo on Bizarre. In the last few months I have acquired a nice little collection, I keep finding keepers at a used store for cheap

Grand Wazoo on Bizarre
Uncle Meat on Bizarre
Studio Tan on Discreet
Orchestral Favorites on Discrete(found sealed)
Absolutely Free on Verve MONO
Lumpy Gravy on Verve 1972 UK reissue

I recently won an auction on eBay for 10 other zappa LP's :)

But I have a question for you zappaheads, what is the best sounding vinyl version of Freak Out! ?

I would like to buy a copy because I've never heard it before. I've looked at original pressings but should I buy MONO or STEREO? I always try to buy the best version the first time I make a purchase on any certain record if I seek it out
 
But I have a question for you zappaheads, what is the best sounding vinyl version of Freak Out! ?
I would like to buy a copy because I've never heard it before. I've looked at original pressings but should I buy MONO or STEREO? I always try to buy the best version the first time I make a purchase on any certain record if I seek it out

I've heard both, not much difference, at least to my ears. I think the biggest difference would lie in the condition of the vinyl, since it's almost 50 years old. I have a pristine copy of the stereo version that I bought sealed about 30 years ago. I've traced it about maybe a dozen times. I wouldn't let it go for any amount of money in the world. (But every man has his price!)

Good luck!
 
Thanks for your reply, knowing this, I will seek out a pristine copy. My mono copy of Absolutely Free is pristine and I only paid $35 for it, easily one of my best LP scores ever :music:
 
Gave this a listen on my iPod as I was out running errands, looking forward to popping this into the CD tray tomorrow for an extensive listen.

Live stuff from early 70's, similar to Zappa/Wazoo

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Imaginary Diseases.jpg
    Imaginary Diseases.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 135
I saw Frank at the Uptown Theatre in Chicago in '81 when he was collecting ladies underwear for his quilt. It was about halfway through the show, and in between songs he asked the ladies to start givin' them up - Panty Rap! - I forget what the next song was, but in the middle of it this big mama, at the least 300 lbs, comes up to the stage and whips her big red panties at Frank, who picks them up, stops the band in mid-stride, admiring them and showing the audience, we're all bustin' a gut, then puts them over his head, starts the band up, and sang the rest of the song THRU them! I laughed so hard tears were comin' down my face............and he collected more underwear in Chicago than anywhere else.
DSC02485.JPG


Girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin.........................

Enlightening. Now "The Jazz Discharge Party Hat" from "Man From Utopia" makes a little more sense now.
 
I saw Frank at the Uptown Theatre in Chicago in '81 when he was collecting ladies underwear for his quilt. It was about halfway through the show, and in between songs he asked the ladies to start givin' them up - Panty Rap! - I forget what the next song was, but in the middle of it this big mama, at the least 300 lbs, comes up to the stage and whips her big red panties at Frank, who picks them up, stops the band in mid-stride, admiring them and showing the audience, we're all bustin' a gut, then puts them over his head, starts the band up, and sang the rest of the song THRU them! I laughed so hard tears were comin' down my face............and he collected more underwear in Chicago than anywhere else.
DSC02485.JPG


Girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin.........................


Were those the famous voodoo butter underpants? You know, the ones that almost broke Napoleon Murphy Brock's neck?
 
Found this today, new bootleg. The recordings are great and a nice hunka vinyl to boot


attachment.php


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • 1362767400786.jpg
    1362767400786.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 1362767444508.jpg
    1362767444508.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 89
Frank Zappa and his music as a composer and musician is an absolutely essential part of my life since 1978.

The afternoon my beloved father died in my arms suffering from blood cancer in 1999 I listened for many hours to Live Boston 1968 (and drinking gallons of beer), nobody else could comfort me in those darkest moments of my life than Frank and his lively music.
 
For those interested there is a Zappa Pod Cast (ZappaCast) that has been around for a couple of years now. There have been 9 episodes so far. Some pretty interesting stuff. The very first episode the guy plays the entire Alternate Freak Out bootleg album that someone up thread mentioned. I downloaded the podcast and then was able to break up the songs and put it into my iTunes library. Just click on the hyperlink above.

I never got to see FZ, I didn't get into him until after he died. I have seen Dweezils Zappa Plays Zappa band a couple of times. They put on a really great show and Dweezil can pull off his dad's playing quite nicely. The show I went to see in Charlotte had Ray White as a special guest on vocals, it was a really good show.
 
I love the album Waka/Jawaka but man.. that hi-hat in the left channel through the whole album annoys the crap out of me...
 
I especially like the interviews he did when he got to be the "bogus DJ" and played music from his own personal collection - some very interesting stuff
 
Back
Top Bottom