• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ohm Walsh 2's

Question: Could I, if I found one, run an amplifier with the 2238B to get more power to the speakers?

Yep. The 2238B has pre-outs on it. You just run RCA cables from the preouts to the inputs of the amp, then connect your speakers to the amp. This way the Marantz just acts as a preamp, meaning all the controls are still active, you just bypass the amplifier section.

I ran my 2252B into a Crown XLS1500 (great amp for the money). That was a GREAT combo and pumped out 525 wpc. I still have the Crown. If you want, I'll bring it over and you can check it out. I've been wanting to hear those Ohms again for a while.
 
I disagree, ime, and as Ohm suggests, Walsh speakers are tuned to work best within a foot of the back wall, but spaced pretty far away from side walls, and a little wider spaced than most conventional speakers.

Because of this, they often work best on the longer wall.

I stand corrected. Old age is a bitch.. ;)

bs
 
I stand corrected. Old age is a bitch.. ;)

bs

I also prefer my Walsh 3s off the wall by several feet. I also removed the rear felt on the cans. IMHO, they sound more open and image better; then again, I'm normally listening to Maggies or Quads. BTW, the Ohms are a surprisingly good speaker. Sonically they do everything quite well and I love the way they look with the booked matched veneer.
 
Finally got the speakers and listened to them. Wow, they sound extremely clear and impressive to my ears. Smaller than I had imagined they would be. They wont blow you away like my Koss CM1020's but have a crisper more acurate sound that seems to come from nowhere and everywhere. At first I thought only one speaker was working, walked over to it, and could hear the sound coming from it, then couldnt tell if the other was working, walked over to it, and could tell it was. It was probably quite funny to watch. it literally sounds like the sound is not coming from the speakers themselves, but everywhere within the room. To my untrained ears these are the best speakers I have heard and/or owned, not to mention the ugliest, but I really dont care about that.
 
Ugly? I like of like the looks, especially the earlier F's. Ohm Walsh speakers have a distinct character that it seems you've discovered. I'd only part with my F's if I could find a pair of A's.

bs
 
I bought a set of Ohm Walsh 2 at an estate sale this summer. They are keepers for sure; excellent sound coupled with a unique design and look.

In doing a little research on the Ohm website, I found that although the Walsh 2 summary page recommends a 125W amplifier, if you click the link for the spec sheet (that actually leads to the 1987 Ohm speaker catalogue), you'll find that it notes a power requirement of only 30-120 watts.

Not sure of the source of the 125W recommendation, but I'm a little skeptical given the discrepancy with the catalogue (plus the fact that the photo of the Walsh 2 is actually NOT a Walsh 2!). Personally, I used them with a mid-power Sansui 771 and it drove them effortlessly.
 
Back
Top Bottom