• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Okay, who has the most turntables!

Three for me. Two are daily drivers one for a spare. I could easily stock pile them, But why?
Some time I just look around and think good God when is enough a enough. But I do have 10 different cartridges. They are small don't take up much room. LOL
 
Thorens TD-224
Technics SL-1200 MK4
Technics SL-1200 GAE
Technics SP-15
Technics SP-10 MKII
Technics SP-10 MK2A (NIB)
Technics SP-10 MK3 (x3)
Victor TT-101
Kenwood L-07D
Sony PS-X9
Nakamichi TX-1000
Denon DP-100
You seem to like Technics, have you had any trouble with them? I have just returned an SP-Q3 that I purchased from eBay because it was doing weird things like lifting, going to the start of the record then returning to the armrest, sometimes it just lifted and went down again, sometimes it would work okay. To be honest it has put me off technics turntables after looking on youtube and seeing others with the same problems.
 
You seem to like Technics, have you had any trouble with them? I have just returned an SP-Q3 that I purchased from eBay because it was doing weird things like lifting, going to the start of the record then returning to the armrest, sometimes it just lifted and went down again, sometimes it would work okay. To be honest it has put me off technics turntables after looking on youtube and seeing others with the same problems.

You're going to judge a Technics because a 30-40 year old product with unknown history wasn't pnp for you? The issues you described were probably something simple, like auto-return adjustment, or something tripping the sensor for the auto return mechanism. Not to mention you purchased on ebay, notorious for sellers that don't know how to properly package a TT without damage. Did you even attempt to troubleshoot using the manual?

Also, the guy you asked only owns manual Technics turntable models, no auto return on any of those.
 
Its no wonder it's hard to find good used tables on the market for a decent price. You guys have bought all of them. The gent with the multiple SP-10's should share. He could rent them out so he could afford a new one. Those MK III are real gems. I would prefer a SME 30 series, but thats just a dream. The big Bermann with air suspended platter and air hold down with a linear tracking air tone arm is another dream. Even a big Innovation with a TT linear arm is another dream. I wish VPI would build a linear arm for the fun of it.
 
I have 5 - Thorens TD-125 MkII and a Sony PS-X600 (my co-main drivers in my home office), a Dual 1019 (living room), and a Luxman P-405 (my late uncle's and the center of my sun room setup). I also have a Pioneer PL-530 that I rebuilt and gave/permanently lent to my dad.
 
Holding at 14. Well, just got in a Technics linear tracker from eBay yesterday, for my brother-in-law. So I'm not counting it. Make the repairs, and out it goes. I will have 2 Denons coming in for repairs next week.

Of the 14 that I keep, 4 get play time. The other 10 are cacooned in plastic and dessicant. I'm having 3 of them rebuilt around granite plinths.
 
I have lost count, but over a dozen. But I do have two SP10 MkII's, and two Empire 589 III's, and three idlers.
 
You seem to like Technics, have you had any trouble with them? I have just returned an SP-Q3 that I purchased from eBay because it was doing weird things like lifting, going to the start of the record then returning to the armrest, sometimes it just lifted and went down again, sometimes it would work okay. To be honest it has put me off technics turntables after looking on youtube and seeing others with the same problems.

Technics ran the gamut. Made what some consider the best 'table on earth as well as some very economical pieces. After 30+ years the problematic ones are rather well known so a bit of research pays off.

He could rent them out so he could afford a new one.

Old list. SP-10MK3 count is now 5, and I've added an SP-10R. :)
 
Technics ran the gamut. Made what some consider the best 'table on earth as well as some very economical pieces. After 30+ years the problematic ones are rather well known so a bit of research pays off.



Old list. SP-10MK3 count is now 5, and I've added an SP-10R. :)

They asked who had the most, not who has all the best tables! ;)
 
You seem to like Technics, have you had any trouble with them? I have just returned an SP-Q3 that I purchased from eBay because it was doing weird things like lifting, going to the start of the record then returning to the armrest, sometimes it just lifted and went down again, sometimes it would work okay. To be honest it has put me off technics turntables after looking on youtube and seeing others with the same problems.

I’m guessing you mean the SL-Q3? My impression is that Technics is more reliable than average rather than less. Certainly if the seller represented it as working correctly when it does not you should return it or negotiate a different price if you want to try to fix it.
 
I am glad I’m not the worst offender...

Working
Technics SL-QD33 “cutie 33” lives in my bedroom :naughty:
Onkyo PL-25F too funky to get rid of :beatnik:
Pioneer PL-750 current place of honor in the living room :king:
Pioneer PL-S40 threatening to take the place of honor
Pioneer PL-200X the saddest of the Pioneers :oops:
Audio-technica AT-LP120 clean 78 player :angel:
Dual 1019 dirty 78 player :smoke:

almost working
Dual 510 that turns and plays but doesn’t shut off and is getting a new platter bearing since the original was broken in shipping and epoxyed together again
Russco Studio Pro B with a cute Pioneer PA-100 tonearm that’s almost installed

not working
Dual 521
Russco Studio Pro B missing idler arm and wheel (yes that’s a 2nd Russco)
Elac Miracord 40C
Garrard 440 and two 440Cs - nope none of them work although one has a perfectly smooth speed selector after several hours of disassembly and cleaning... the other two are still frozen

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Back up to 6.

2 Dual 1219s
1 Dual 1010S
1 Dual 1218, arrival this week
1 Garrard Zero 92
1 BSR 810, bought in Europe

All working. No more room. The Mrs has left me alone here. Only thing that’s safe in this house.
 
I’m guessing you mean the SL-Q3? My impression is that Technics is more reliable than average rather than less. Certainly if the seller represented it as working correctly when it does not you should return it or negotiate a different price if you want to try to fix it.
Sorry, yes you are right sl-q3, I liked the look of it and if this had been just one isolated problem I would have taken time to find and fix it but as I said I looked on the internet for answers and found other owners having similar problems with this and other turntables in this range from Technics, most of which were unsolved, this could have been a fault with the electronics and apart from cleaning contacts and a visual check I have no way of testing these, mechanically everything seemed to be working as it should and at times the turntable functioned properly but then it would start to play up again so I returned it.
I have other Technics equipment ( cd player and 2 cassette decks ) and these are very good quality,
Please check on youtube yourself under ( Technics turntable problems ).
 
I was taking a chance and with a name like Technics I thought I would be safe ( I made the same mistake years ago with a BMW 1.8i and boy did I regret that ) but that's an unrelated story,
I'm still looking for an automatic turntable that I can put on when I'm having a shower or in my workroom.
 
Back
Top Bottom