• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old Advents and fisher re-1056 found locally, worth fixing?

CayoHuesoJay

New Member
So last week, I picked up a set of large original advents and a fisher RE-1056 receiver for 200 bucks.
the speakers came on and the fisher played thru the aux albeit all of the pots were crackly and dirty.
I decided to take a chance and forked over the loot.

I cleaned up the receiver pots and connections with electronics cleaner and it is an amazing difference, nothing cracks of pops now but the preamp for phono is bad I think.
both my turntables sound bad thru it and only the one rca works but the tape-input and aux work (maybe, i'll just get a little preamp for my thorens td160 and use the tape or aux in). its useable until I find another solution.

anyways, one speaker seems fine but a day after I bought them, one woofer started to sound terrible, low noise and crackling. checked ohm meter and getting a reading around 5.6 or 6ohms across the terminals. lightly pushing the cone, makes a scratching sound in the coil. no bueno...
so my question...
is it worth fixing the speaker either by re-coning myself for about 68 bucks in parts and glue, (I've watched the process a couple times on this site) or sending woofer out for repair at $120 plus shipping both ways or selling them off as parts and buying something newer and working ???

I like the sound of what I've heard with them but I am on a budget right now so leaning toward doing it myself or scrapping them. im afraid ill get one fixed and need to do the other one soon.
are these speakers worth anything working correctly? or am I throwing good money away?
thanks in advance for advice!
Jason
 
Register to hide this ad
is it worth fixing the speaker either by re-coning myself for about 68 bucks in parts and glue, (I've watched the process a couple times on this site) or sending woofer out for repair at $120 plus shipping both ways or selling them off as parts and buying something newer and working ???
I assume you mean refoaming, not reconing. Yes, it's worth doing, and on Advents, it's not difficult. And Simply Speakers has the foam for significantly less (make sure you order the correct one) than the price you mentioned (I'm assuming you're in the US).

Regarding the Fisher (I assume it's an RS-1056, not an RE-1056), did you also clean the selector switches and buttons? It looks like a pretty nice receiver, so if the phono preamp isn't working but everything else is, I'd keep it and do as you suggested with an external preamp.
 
Hit the selector switch with another dose of cleaner. Flip/flop the TT rca jacks and see if the channel issue switches sides or not.
 
Yep. Fat fingers. Rs1056. I took it apart and went through and cleaned all the selectors, switches, etc. It was pretty filthy. A can of compressed air and a vacuum first, then lubricated and cleaned all them pots and switches. It's like a whole different beast now. I'm pretty amazed at what a little time and attention did for it.
It Plays fine on the other inputs otherwise. I'm looking at Preamp choices now So I can use my turntable. There's a ton of them out there. Some are very expensive, some are way out of my price range. There's one called a U-turn Pluto I'm leading towards. Simple and relatively expensive.
Anyone have any experience with this one? Reviews seem to be pretty good for a basic preamp.
I do have an automatic Denon turntable that works because it has a preamp switch. I just got done rebuilding this thorens and I want to use it.

The foam is good actually. Looked at the posts on the site and a couple people suggest that the coil may be bad or the spider could be ripped. When lightly pushed in it scrapes the sides of the inside of the magnet... The other one doesn't do it.
I'm going to pull it out again and investigate further tomorrow.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, after watching a few videos it seems pretty straightforward how to rebuild it.
Granted, they make it look easy cuz they've done a ton of them But I'm fairly confident that I could rebuild it. Either that or I've replaces speaker but I kind of would like the original...
In my youth I used to build speaker/box systems for cars. I was pretty good at it then but it's been a long time. But I've never tried to rebuild a speaker. If it was blown, we pitched them and bought new ones...
I think rebuilding it is more about reusing original parts and bringing them back to life. I guess I can buy a new one but I think I like the challenge and keeping it original is attractive.
 
Hit the selector switch with another dose of cleaner. Flip/flop the TT rca jacks and see if the channel issue switches sides or not.

Not a bad idea. Both phono one and two sound the same But It couldn't hurt to try cleaning it again.
I flipped the RCas and tried running them independently as well. Same results: terrible.
I'll pull it apart and try cleaning again. I can't find a wire diagram to see where the preamp is. Not sure if that's something that could be replaced or if I had the mechanical ability...
It's fine the way it is but I would rather at work properly with the internal preamp. I've been looking for another stereo receiver but the pickins are slim down here at the end of the road in Key West.
 
If the foam is good, it's not the original foam. My guess is that it was refoamed improperly (i.e. the voice coil wasn't centered). This is pretty common, actually. If you try to push the cone in at an angle, can you get it so that it doesn't scrape? If so, that's the cause, and a simple refoaming is all that's needed.
 
If the foam is good, it's not the original foam. My guess is that it was refoamed improperly (i.e. the voice coil wasn't centered). This is pretty common, actually. If you try to push the cone in at an angle, can you get it so that it doesn't scrape? If so, that's the cause, and a simple refoaming is all that's needed.
At second glance I think you may be right. The foam is just too nice to be original.

20230221_214922.jpg
 
Looks like it was re-coned and new coils/spider, etc. Sometime recently... for sure after October, 1973. Lol I tried flipping it 180deg, hoping for a miracle...

20230221_220008.jpg 20230221_215603.jpg
 
If the foam is good, it's not the original foam. My guess is that it was refoamed improperly (i.e. the voice coil wasn't centered). This is pretty common, actually. If you try to push the cone in at an angle, can you get it so that it doesn't scrape? If so, that's the cause, and a simple refoaming is all that's needed.

When pushed it different angles it doesn't scrape. So I think you're right it wasn't centered properly or installed correctly.
 
Is the listing a typo, sure it isn't an RS-1056? I found a service manual for that on hifiengine.com.
 
Looks like it was re-coned and new coils/spider, etc. Sometime recently... for sure after October, 1973. Lol I tried flipping it 180deg, hoping for a miracle...

View attachment 2806826 View attachment 2806827
Thats funny, I did exactly the same thing with my curb-mart paradigm's. One of the woofers was rattling and I flipped it too and it got better but I eventually replaced the driver, and they are great now.
 
Not a bad idea. Both phono one and two sound the same But It couldn't hurt to try cleaning it again.
I flipped the RCas and tried running them independently as well. Same results: terrible.
I'll pull it apart and try cleaning again. I can't find a wire diagram to see where the preamp is. Not sure if that's something that could be replaced or if I had the mechanical ability...
It's fine the way it is but I would rather at work properly with the internal preamp. I've been looking for another stereo receiver but the pickins are slim down here at the end of the road in Key West.
Be sure to hit the Tape switches, too!
 
It also looks like they glued the foam to the masonite board. If I recall (it's been years since I've refoamed an Advent woofer), those are supposed to be glued to the woofer frame. If glued to the masonite, the woofer will be extended by a 1/4 or 1/8 inch beyond its normal range.

Anyone else recall?

I also seem to recall the foam being glued under the cone, not on top. My advice: buy new foams and start over...after some Googlin'.
 
Back
Top Bottom