• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old Advents and fisher re-1056 found locally, worth fixing?

When pushed it different angles it doesn't scrape. So I think you're right it wasn't centered properly or installed correctly.


Typically advent speakers are worth the effort and a refoam isn’t that hard, especially when you have the combined knowledge of the internet, YouTube and Audiokarma to guide your hands remotely.


if you have a heat gun/hair drier, xacto knife, solder gun, white glue and some time, you can fix those things up by yourself in a weekend.

The only way to fix that scraping noise is to remove the dust cap and shim the voicecoil gap when reattaching new foam. If you don’t, they will self destruct in very short order.
 
Yes, this! Advent foams are “upside” down in mounting and can be daunting, especially for a first timer.
Should look like this (prior to my reforming). Also a pic of glue on outer rim of foam prior to my pushing it under the masonite!
 

Attachments

  • 5589B83F-87EE-47DC-AB80-7FE18580BF8D.jpeg
    5589B83F-87EE-47DC-AB80-7FE18580BF8D.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 35
  • AEF0033F-93B9-4866-9614-D01DF6647202.jpeg
    AEF0033F-93B9-4866-9614-D01DF6647202.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 35
It also looks like they glued the foam to the masonite board. If I recall (it's been years since I've refoamed an Advent woofer), those are supposed to be glued to the woofer frame. If glued to the masonite, the woofer will be extended by a 1/4 or 1/8 inch beyond its normal range.

Anyone else recall?

I also seem to recall the foam being glued under the cone, not on top. My advice: buy new foams and start over...after some Googlin'.
Agreed and this may also be why so much of the VC is forward of the spider. I suspect this is the cause of the noise. Maybe the OP got lucky and the spider isn't glued to the coil, in which case that shouldn't be too challenging of a fix.
 
Typically advent speakers are worth the effort and a refoam isn’t that hard, especially when you have the combined knowledge of the internet, YouTube and Audiokarma to guide your hands remotely.


if you have a heat gun/hair drier, xacto knife, solder gun, white glue and some time, you can fix those things up by yourself in a weekend.

The only way to fix that scraping noise is to remove the dust cap and shim the voicecoil gap when reattaching new foam. If you don’t, they will self destruct in very short order.
I prefer the test tone method.
 
I'm pretty sure that the foam has been installed backwards.

The concave part of the foam should be facing front to allow more travel.
Exactly... the foam was installed backwards on these OLAs... If you re foam them, you can do it properly, and get rid of the rubbing also... I got my kit from Rick Cobb, including a tone CD to the center the coil and glue... but it was a while ago.
Good luck,, they are nice speakers when they are right!!!

PS... Dont forget to recap and check resistor values in teh xovers while teh woofers are out
 
Last edited:
So I think I'm in an impass.
The spider was ripped likely causing the issue so I bought a rebuild kit from simply speakers.
Nice kit.
Instructions are a straightforward I have all the tools and the skills I think.
And taking out the coil, the wire was off the "tube" and I was carefully unraveling it and it got jammed or twisted, and broke off.
There is still some down inside and I'm having a hard time retrieving it.
I have some computer picks But they are metal and I've tried toothpicks, whittling down the backside of a paint brush, vacuum , flipping it upside down and tapping, etc and I can't seem to get the rest of it at the bottom...
Any ideas?
You can see the copper down in there in the photo...

20230311_144848.jpg
 
Try some thin cardboard (like an index card or business card) with some double sided tape stuck to it (actual tape, not the foam stuff. The thinner the better).
 
I don't have proper tape ATM.
It's a spool in there I Would need to use 2 and lift the coil of wire evenly straight out... it spins in there with a toothpick and even slides down a wee bit if turned upside down and tapped.
So far speaker 2, me zero.
Was hoping to at least get it cleaned up and shimmed, and first part glued today..
Gotta get to work, Little Feat playing tonight and I'm working the show...
Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks for the input so far. It's appreciated.
Jay
 
Maybe simultaneously move it with the toothpick as you run suction in the gap at the other side of the circle.
 
3 hours, various tools, modifications, patience and a little Neco on the stereo for encouragement and this is the mess I pulled out of the speaker.
I ended up taking the steel tweezers and making a we - baby hook on the end of it and slightly bending it to the right angle to hook a strand or 2 and slowly pulling one at a time out until I had enough strands for the spool to slowly come up and out.
I had gotten a couple strands to start unraveling but they always broke so I figured when I got one strand I would just tape it off and try to snag another one, an another and another until I had six or seven out and I was able to pull it up.

Now on to the next step, cleaning up the frame for re coning...
Thanks for the help. Advice and encouragement.

20230312_155029.jpg
 
fantastic!
congrats on sticking to it and persevering, a lot of folks would be looking for a replacement driver instead of digging in
 
fantastic!
congrats on sticking to it and persevering, a lot of folks would be looking for a replacement driver instead of digging in

Funny because I came here with advice on if they were worth keeping, then when I realized the speaker was bad I got advice from this forum to try to repair as opposed to replace, and then I realized that I could do it. This forum has been extremely helpful.. And I appreciate all the feedback and help! I'm glad I fixed it
 
Back
Top Bottom