• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Older Grado Identification

mcdmgb

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Trying to identify a Grado cartridge. It has a large G above the Grado name. I'm not sure if that's the model or it's intended to stand for Grado. There is no listing of A "G" model in Grado's database. Other than those two markings, ther is a machine stamped A84 above the pins. Looks like their current style of cartridge except the body is dull blue. Anyone got any idea the model?

Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
I believe the Grado site has an email access, send them a description. You can find the site on Venus HiFi's site, or ask Brian B at Venus, he is an AK supporter and a Grado dealer.

Rob
 
I remember someone selling out a stock of blue Grados, but can't say anything more about them. I have a white Grado with the G and they told me to send it in, and they would check it and tell me what it was. It came back with a new stylus -- nice of them!
 
Actually, many Grados had a G on the front, that was their logo. What distinguishes the cartridge generations was the color of the plastic body and its shape. IIRC here would be a kinda time line:

older - Grey = F series, Black = G series, Beige = M series, > newer (please correct if my recollection isn't accurate)

some of the cartridges had the Model letters molded into the front as well so that could give you some idea of the model or line type.


This is their replacement stylus history. The different stylii are distinguised in series by the plastic color of the canteliver carrier and the color of paint applied to the plastic dots on either side of the carrier.

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_cart/stylus_hist.htm

Replacement Stylus History
FTR = GTR = NO LONGER AVAILABLE
FCR = GCR = NO LONGER AVAILABLE
FTE = GTE = NO LONGER AVAILABLE
FCE = GCE = NO LONGER AVAILABLE
FTE+1 = GTE+1 = MTE+1 = XTE+1 = ZTE+1 = BLACK
FCE+1 = GCE+1 = MCE+1 = XCE+1 = ZCE+1 = GREEN
F3E+ = GF3E+ = MF3E+ = XF3E+ = ZF3E+ = BLUE
F2+ = GF2+ = MF2+ = XF2+ = ZF2+ = RED
F1+ = GF1+ = MF1+ = XF1+ = ZF1+ = SILVER
N/A = G+ = M+ = X+ = Z+ = SILVER
N/A = G1+ = M1+ = X1+ = Z1+ = GOLD
N/A = G2+ = M2+ = X2+ = Z2+ = GOLD

Other option for discovering the type is to check the various Ebay auctions and see which one lines up color, appearance and stylus color dots.

Good luck and maybe post a photo or two.

Regards,

bart
 

Attachments

  • d5a6_12.JPG
    d5a6_12.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 199
Oops -- I meand a JG -- I think they may have been the signiture series. I believe your color sequence is correct, but where does the poster's blue body or my white body (sounds slightly obscene) fit into the sequence?
 
I sent an e-mail to Grado last night asking for information. I haven't heard back from them. I have read elsewhere that they are not too accommadating with answering questions about their older products.

I have another Grado. It is black bodied and has the Grado name and F-3+ on the front. Regarding the original post, the color could be considered to be gray rather than the dull blue that I originally described it. Based on what I have read elsewhere the A84 is a production date of January, 1984.
 
Hey guys, maybe we should try to create an Older Grado Cartridge Spotter's guide. Probably easiest to copy photos gleaned from internet if you can get some clear shot and identification. I'm pretty positive that even within letter series, the color of the body and shielding changed too.

For example this version of a G-1+ is black body/black shield with the GL logo(Grado Labs) on the bottom. Also a very long thin cantilever.

Photo to follow.




Bart
 
Hi--Looking at a Realistic Lab 440 TT with a Grado cartridge. From the picture I have see the Cart has a silver body and stylus looks like a yellow housing with Grado in gold letters at the bottom and GT above it. Anybody know what this is??
 
I would assume it is a Grado GT.
I think the various types are simply different styli. Check with Grado to see which, if any, of their current styli fit. I suspect most of the the Black styli will.
 
Hi there, could you help me to identify this cartridge? It also has sign 779 on top...
 

Attachments

  • photo_2024-09-21_13-20-25 (2).jpg
    photo_2024-09-21_13-20-25 (2).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 42
  • photo_2024-09-21_13-20-25.jpg
    photo_2024-09-21_13-20-25.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41
  • photo_2024-09-21_13-20-26.jpg
    photo_2024-09-21_13-20-26.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 42
Identifying Grados isn't easy - the visual differences are minor and not always well documented. But that looks to me like one of the Signature series - I associate the GL on the metal case with the top level models, and the cantilever looks finer than the standard, and possibly tapered.
Is the plastic dark chocolate brown, or is that a quirk of the lighting?
 
Identifying Grados isn't easy - the visual differences are minor and not always well documented. But that looks to me like one of the Signature series - I associate the GL on the metal case with the top level models, and the cantilever looks finer than the standard, and possibly tapered.
Is the plastic dark chocolate brown, or is that a quirk of the lighting?
Thanks for answer, plastic is dark brown
 
Identifying Grados isn't easy - the visual differences are minor and not always well documented. But that looks to me like one of the Signature series - I associate the GL on the metal case with the top level models, and the cantilever looks finer than the standard, and possibly tapered.
Is the plastic dark chocolate brown, or is that a quirk of the lighting?
1726976842675.png
cantilever is tapered, what kind of needle i can buy for spare?

 
Looks like a nude square shank. Don't know if Grado even makes them for that standard cartridge shape, rather than the wood body ones.
And the chocolate brown is puzzling - I thnk it is typical of the M series which the current ones are supposedly mono - but I have an old one one that is clearly stereo - not just the wiring, but the sound.
 
View attachment 3303070
cantilever is tapered, what kind of needle i can buy for spare?
The tapered cantilever was used only for the 3 Top-Off-the-Line of that G Series (as well as the dark brown body)
= G+ or G1+ or G2+ (or their later S versions)

As there are no coloured dots but "brown plate" it is for sure the G+ or G+/S with the "Grado Type stylus" which was hyperelliptical, i.e. an early Line Contact. This was the answer of those manufacturers which either didn't want to pay royalties to JVC for the shibata diamond-cut or as in Joe Grado's case "as he had already developed a CD-4 tip" but was that little bit too late to register for a patent, JVC was just faster.

Joseph Grado even managed to produce CD-4 able tips with conical and standard elliptical tips just by reducing weight, see attached F-Flyer from Stereoreview 1994 !!!

The F-Series was of course introduced earlier but in 1964 Joe Grado stopped all advertising and relied on "word of mouth" advertising.
That's why the first hyperelliptical "Grado Type" Stylus (later named Twin Tip or True Elliptical) isn't named as the first "Shibata-Type" cut.

One needs to do some "deep research" to find out when the first F-Series CD-4 capable MI Fluxbridgers were introduced.
 

Attachments

  • F-Series CD4-2.JPG
    F-Series CD4-2.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 8
  • F-Series CD4-1.JPG
    F-Series CD4-1.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 8
I could use some help identifying this Grado ..........
Never seen one like this. Long body.
Sorry - no photos of front.


1790469121919.png1790469438942.png

I did find this photo (file name JFG-CARTRIDGE), looks like a MkIV of our cartridge, but still no model number or info...
1790469877460.png
@Redd House ??
 
I could use some help identifying this Grado ..........
Never seen one like this. Long body.
Sorry - no photos of front.


View attachment 3844912View attachment 3844914

I did find this photo (file name JFG-CARTRIDGE), looks like a MkIV of our cartridge, but still no model number or info...
View attachment 3844917
@Redd House ??
It looks to me like the Grado Model A, but the MK1 version.
I have seen the photos of the MKIV you provided before.

A few links for the Model A:
 
Back
Top Bottom