• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo introduces stereo integrated amp with Wolfson DAC for under $500

Only up to Gen 5.5, the last good sounding iPod (if you bypass the audio amp). Since then, the DAC has been an inferior one that saves them about $.75 in production costs.

Unfortunately, my 5.5 was stolen from my car (the only reason I'd ever own an iPod is that they interface with my Scion's stereo and its steering wheel control buttons) and the Gen 6 'Classic' 160 Gb I bought to replace it is not nearly as good sounding (and has to be reset about 10 times a month).

I doubt it will interface with your Scion, but if you want a great-sounding portable for cheap, look on Fleabay for a Dell DJ 20GB (Dell stopped making portables several years ago). Anywhere from $50-$100 for a new-in-box one... Great sound and a great battery that lasts all-day-long before needing a recharge. Very-well-built too.

I have the most-recent 20GB version they made, but all of the DJ's were bulletproof in terms of performance (not in stopping bullets though, so don't go shooting at the thing).
 
Last edited:
Myself, I'd rather see the money go into the internals than the looks.

That's what they did, What money into looks! A $7 plasitic faceplate, $5 worth of knobs and buttons and $3 worth of LED's. Thats standard fare and quite necessary.
 
Last edited:
I doubt it will interface with your Scion, but if you want a great-sounding portable for cheap, look on Fleabay for a Dell DJ 20GB (Dell stopped making portables several years ago). Anywhere from $50-$100 for a new-in-box one... Great sound and a great battery that lasts all-day-long before needing a recharge. Very-well-built too.

I have the most-recent 20GB version they made, but all of the DJ's were bulletproof in terms of performance (not in stopping bullets though, so don't go shooting at the thing).

I use a Cowon D2+ for serious portable listening. Pretty much the best sounding MP3/FLAC/OGG, etc, etc player made. 58 hours on a charge. SD expandable.

I've heard good things about that Dell, too.
 
Here are pics of the A-9070 from their "Reference" line. Again, it features a Wolfson 24/192. Price is $1200 versus $500 for the A-9050.

173552_2.jpg

Onkyo_A-9070.jpg
 
Now that A-9070 looks like a semi-serious Amp with it's apparent Dual mono Construction, Ample power Supply and heat sinking. At $1,200 it is one of the less expensive Audiophile Grade Amps. It would be interesting to see if it measures up in the real world.

A breif look at it's specs suggest a lesser Phono Stage than one used on their AVR's 12 years ago with its lower input overload and more noise. That can be corrected easy enough though. It's Dynamic Headroom appears only average too, despite their claim of high instinanous current of 100 amps? Worth noting however is it's rated into 4 ohms (IHF doesn't count, their AVR's are rated that way too), and can drive the 4 ohm load without switching into a lesser mode. Not all the recent amps can.
 
Last edited:
So, it's great that Onkyo is using a decent DAC and all, but... The DAC is only a small part of what dictates the final sound quality. I'd like to know what opamps it's using in the preamp section, and what they're using in the amp section. Call me cynical, but I doubt the opamps or the power transistors are of the same quality as the DAC.
 
Missed this incredible piece the first time around. Gotta have a listen to it. Certainly makes dealing with vintage gear and it's repairs and gremlins seem silly when equipment like this is available.
 
I can't understand the logic in only releasing the black version in the U.S. You would think these companies do some market research.

cubdog

They do. Which is why they release it only in black. AK is not the world these folks want to sell into.
 
Black or silver plastic :scratch2: I think I'd pass.

Like an old friend used to say, "You can't polish a turd". :thumbsdn: Not to say that this amp is a turd. But can anyone confirm if it's plastic or metal?

And you would know this how? Nice to hear the familiar sounds of minds banging shut.
 
I'd prefer the black version, personally. I've gotten tired of everything being silver over the last few years. I may have to look into one of these... (I'm friends with the Onkyo National Sales Manager)
 
I'd prefer the black version, personally. I've gotten tired of everything being silver over the last few years. I may have to look into one of these... (I'm friends with the Onkyo National Sales Manager)

I'd like it in Ferrari Red or Lime Green, just to break the tyranny of Silver or Black.
 
They do. Which is why they release it only in black. AK is not the world these folks want to sell into.

I'm not sure. It seems they often offer silver in Europe but not here. Also not all Akers are into vintage only, as you know, but we pretty much all appreciate good audio. Nevertheless I'd love to hear one regardless of its color.

cubdog
 
I'd prefer the black version, personally. I've gotten tired of everything being silver over the last few years. I may have to look into one of these... (I'm friends with the Onkyo National Sales Manager)



Silver would be a very nice option. I think that many folks who are interested in a 2 channel integrated amplifier would be interested in a silver option. It would be like getting a vintage integrated amp that looks the part, but is new and modern. I would love that. No, I don't need ferrari red, kermit the frog green, etc, but for a classic amp look I would GREATLY prefer silver finish.

just sayin'
 
Missed this incredible piece the first time around. Gotta have a listen to it. Certainly makes dealing with vintage gear and it's repairs and gremlins seem silly when equipment like this is available.

We're a silly bunch of guys.Nice but a little plain looking.
 
Back
Top Bottom