• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo introduces stereo integrated amp with Wolfson DAC for under $500

I can't understand the logic in only releasing the black version in the U.S. You would think these companies do some market research.

Up to about 3 years ago, Onkyo actually offered black and silver version of its components here in the US. I have a Onkyo TX-SR505 home theater receiver and a DV-SP506 DVD-based universal player that came in silver....

TX-SR505S_front.jpg

DV-SP506(S)sm.jpg


I guess black was the prefer color of consumers. Pioneer also offered black and silver as well, but it only offers black now.
 
(North American)
(FTC) 75 watts minimum continuous power per
channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz,
with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08 %
(FTC) 65 watts minimum continuous power per
channel, 4 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz,
with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08 %
(European)
(IEC) 2 ch × 75 W at 8 ohms, 1 kHz, 2 ch Driven of
0.08 %
(IEC) 2 ch × 65 W at 8 ohms, 1 kHz, 2 ch Driven of
0.08 %


They don't give the power rating at 20hz-20khz. Only 1 khz. Seems odd
 
I really like the 8050 and the ability for Internet audio. If I replace my Sherwood receiver using a Grace Internet radio for wi/fi, the 8050 looks like a good choice.
 
Just curious, how are you streaming flac files to the onkyo?


Very likely to be a nice sounding piece of kit.

I've been very pleased with my TX-8050. I don't know what it's using for DACs but it does a nice job streaming 96/24FLACs from my music server.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8050&class=Receiver&p=i



Now you have me thinking... HMMM... I have a nice chunk of old growth black walnut in the big-stack-o-wood. The Onkyo would indeed look nice with some old school wood side panels.
 
Here are pics of the A-9070 from their "Reference" line. Again, it features a Wolfson 24/192. Price is $1200 versus $500 for the A-9050.

173552_2.jpg

Onkyo_A-9070.jpg

Not sure where you got the $1200 price tag from as one is on eBay right now for over $3000.
 
Up to about 3 years ago, Onkyo actually offered black and silver version of its components here in the US. I have a Onkyo TX-SR505 home theater receiver and a DV-SP506 DVD-based universal player that came in silver....

I guess black was the prefer color of consumers. Pioneer also offered black and silver as well, but it only offers black now.

For the 8 years I was the Onkyo/Integra rep in OK, AR, and the DFW area, we did in fact offer silver and black models. The black outsold the silver about 25:1 (or more) and we'd have to give deals on the silver to move it out at the end of the year.
 
If it's at Crutchfield it has to be somewhere in the Great White North...I'd guess? I don't know, distribution of some things is spotty. It really does look like a great amp. Nice looking, too. Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread but they have separates out, and the amp has big analog meters....
 
Has nobody on AK heard a 9050 or 9070 in the flesh yet? I don't see any reviews posted anywhere on the internet yet. If I can't fix my Technics SU-8600, an Onkyo might make a decent replacement. It would be nice if it had a USB DAC, though it's not a deal-killer.
 
I listened to the M-5000R with their pre-amp recently hooked up to a pair of Kef Q900's.

I must say, I really liked what I heard. It was in less than ideal conditions but, I'm familiar with the Kef Q900's so I could somewhat get a good idea of what it sounded like. From what I heard, it reminded me very much of what I like about vintage gear but had a lot of modern edge to it. Clear, musical, warm, dynamic, just overall enjoyable to listen to. I would have no problems buying them at their price tags, that's for sure.
 
So what's "modern edge"?

I find a lot of modern gear to have a different voicing to it than vintage gear. It depends on what brand we are talking about but with, for example, the Cambridge Audio Azur 841A it had a really dynamic, sort of open, clear sound to it that I haven't experienced with vintage gear. I find a lot of vintage gear you trade clarity for warmth, whereas it's a bit the other way around with new gear.
 
Just curious, how are you streaming flac files to the onkyo?

Sorry... I haven't checked in on this thread in a while.

I installed a Asus Xonar sound card that has an optical output. From there it goes in to one of the optical inputs on the TX-8050.

I also upgraded the opamp on the sound card. It made a little improvement but not as much as I had hoped for.
 
Well, folks, it looks like I will be the first here to have the A-9050, as I ordered one today. I am surprised no one beat me to it. I will provide feedback once it arrives. I am very much looking forward to comparing it to my Yamaha A-S700. Of course, I will mate it to my C-7030...I am feeling some synergy...

I almost went for the Integra DTM-40.4, but I do not need the receiver section. There did not seem to be much difference, otherwise. I did some digging, and found that the 9050's caps are a bit larger, 10,000 micro farads vs. 8,200 micro farads. In terms of DACs, it is Wolfson WM8718 vs. TI PCM1789. In any case, I am counting down the hours :)
 
Last edited:
Well, folks, it looks like I will be the first here to have the A-9050, as I ordered one today. I am surprised no one beat me to it. I will provide feedback once it arrives. I am very much looking forward to comparing it to my Yamaha A-S700. Of course, I will mate it to my C-7030...I am feeling some synergy...

I almost went for the Integra DTM-40.4, but I do not need the receiver section. There did not seem to be much difference, otherwise. I did some digging, and found that the 9050's caps are a bit larger, 10,000 micro farads vs. 8,200 micro farads. In terms of DACs, it is Wolfson WM8718 vs. TI PCM1789. In any case, I am counting down the hours :)

I think you will be pleased with it. Be sure to post your impressions on it, I'm interested to hear about it.

What other gear will you be running with it?
 
I apprecaite the vote of confidence.

The A-9050 will go against my Yamaha A-S700, which I like very much. The final destination, so to speak, will be my Yamaha BP-NS400 loudspeakers. I will also listen with my AKG K702 headphones. The Yamaha speakers have been very impressive. I think they are better than my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SEs. They definitely better the Ascends in regard to bass extension. The K702s are extremely nice. I also have the Q701.

I have mostly Kimber wire. I am thinking that the DAC in the A-9050 will provide the best route to quality sound. Thus, I will go via coax from the C-7030 to the A-9050. I just acquired a Tara Labs Prime M digital coax, and so I gather I will use this. I also have a silver coax, the Homegrown Veritas. I will probably try the analogue outs from the C-7030, too.

The anticipation builds...

Details will follow...
 
I am confused, does the A-9050 put out less power into 4 ohms?

(FTC) 75 watts minimum continuous power per
channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz,
with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08 %

(FTC) 65 watts minimum continuous power per
channel, 4 ohm loads, 2 channels driven at 1 kHz,
with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08 %
(European)
 
A good friend of mine has the 9070. Honestly, it sounds phenomenal! To me, it sounds really accurate. Doesn't appear to color music in any fashion. Plenty of power. The built-in DAC's also sound great for listening to 24/96 FLAC's. The headphone section also sounds really good. He sold his X-Can tube headphone amp because he preferred the Onkyo to it. I haven't heard the built-in phono pre-amp as my friend preferred his TCC TC-750 Phono Preamp. I can say that vinyl through this external phono pre-amp also sounds awesome.

I'm heavily considering picking one up....just wish I could get it in Silver with a matching Walnut case. That would look really damned cool.
 
Back
Top Bottom