• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo tx 2500 random popping/cracking

Bambam0759

New Member
Just picked this up in mint condition and has been boxed up over the years. Everythjng works great . It just makes random crackling and popping sounds without touching anything at times. Same noise you would hear if you were touching the speaker wires while the radio is on..any ideas on how to eliminate this problem or what's causing it?
Just ordered blue l.e.d lights for it, I'll post before/after pics..
 
Register to hide this ad
Dirty/corroded/bad control pots and/or broken solder joints in all the usual places and/or bad preamp/driver transistor(s). Clean pots and/or reflow solder joints and/or determine bad trannies using freeze spray and replace. Good luck.
 
Thanks, will this resolve the slight popping/static sound it makes when you turn on and off the receiver and and adjust the volume knob as well?
 
Depends on what is involved in the "restoration" you have in mind. Generally, when performed by a professional, any electrical/electronic problems will be diagnosed and you will be given rough time and materials estimates (always ask for worst-case) to correct them. Then, depending on the costs involved and your willingness to shoulder them, some or all of the unit's problems will be corrected, the unit will adjusted to factory (or better) operating specs, and everything will be cleaned inside and out. Expensive and time-consuming work, but surely you knew that going in.
 
Hmmm let's keep this simple , im a vintage audio virgin . is it normal to hear that sound with old vintage receivers and can it be eliminated. When I was referring to "restored" I'm simply referring to anything you were mentioning that could be the issue causing the problem that needed repaired or cleaned
 
Normal? Maybe not expected or usual to hear such popping and crackling, but certainly not unheard of with old audio gear. Can it be fixed? Can the engine or transmission or brakes in your old classic car be fixed? Of course. The only questions are who can do the repair and how much it will cost.

I apprehended you are a neophyte (your post count (4) and "New Member" status kinda gave you away), so I made the (reasonable?) assumption that you were not considering attempting to diagnose and repair the unit yourself. Thus, you would have to seek out the services of a professional audio technician who would offer to provide, for different prices, various levels of service from which you can choose. One of those service levels is a "restoration" which includes extensive rehabilitation of the unit and would certainly address the specific deficiency you describe. Restorations are time-consuming and involve the replacement of many electronic components as well as much measuring and adjustment of operating voltages and tuning of various components. For these reasons, it is quite expensive and must be justified by the value of the restored unit. You don't do a $400 restoration on a receiver that will only be worth $75 when you're finished.

I would advise you to drop the issue of restoration entirely, at least until you're a bit more experienced with vintage gear. Search out a competent tech in your area and engage him to evaluate, diagnose, estimate, and then, if it makes financial sense, to repair your unit. You should end up with a working unit at a reasonable cost that will allow you to explore further what vintage audio has to offer. Good luck and have fun!
 
Last edited:
Wow thanks for taking the time to go in such detail i will definitely do my homework before I drop anything more than a 100 on this unit . Thanks again for the thorough answer I appreciate it
 
So I've narrowed it down to what the noise is: it's the tuner simply cutting out than making popping cracking sounds when it does. Than the volume will go lower, almost as if I'm driving through a tunnel or up a mtn. Without a good radio signal. What do you guys think this Is? On the receiver , all three lights are on ...locked , tuned, and stereo is on . Signal is strong and tuning needle is jn the middle.
I'm opening it up today, I bought solder, 1/4 in. Headphone jack " because it doesn't work" , blue l.e.d lights, new 16 awg speaker wire, fork terminals, , and some electro solve contact cleaner , any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom