• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opinions/Info on Stanton 681EEE

There are some people selling NOS Stanton 681EE styli. Can I use one of these on my 681EEE or is that not possible?
 
I have a 681 triple 'E' which I used for quite some time on my Technics SL1200 until it was replaced with a Nagaoka. I bought it brand new a couple of years ago so I am surprised folk seem to be having trouble locating replacement styli. I don't think Stanton went bust in the meantime, or did they?

I agree with almost all of the comments on this thread about the sound/quality, you can do a lot worse for the money and will struggle to do better. But get rid of the brush it is an anachronism and does nothing to improve the sound. Clean your records properly instead :)
 
There are some people selling NOS Stanton 681EE styli. Can I use one of these on my 681EEE or is that not possible?

I would be careful about buying so called "NOS" styli from anyone unless they're a reputable dealer. Vickers in the UK is one such company. They sell authentic Pickering stock(what's left of it). The D625E is available through them and is fantastic sounding. I'm using one on my 681EE.
 
There are some people selling NOS Stanton 681EE styli. Can I use one of these on my 681EEE or is that not possible?

The short answer to your question is yes. Any cartridge for any Stanton 681 or 680 cartridge body (also any Pickering XV-15) will work. All those bodies are the same.

John
 
I have to say the Stanton 681EEE Calibration Standard ( I own two) has risen to the top of my cartridges as my "go to" most preferred listen cartridge. I have one OEM stylus and two original brushes.

I have had very good results using the original brush on the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE tracking at 1-gram to 1.25 grams. 95% of the albums play with NO sibilance.

I also have some EVG 822-DEEE stylus, they sound a little less bright compared to the Pfanstiehl.

Recently I bought a Pfanstiehl Pickering replacement 4606-DEG, the stylus and brush work very well with 1-1/25 gram tracking as it breaks in the sound is much like the 4822-DEE, slightly less top end but very full sound.

Overall on my Harmon Kardon ST-7, I really like the Stanton 681EEE sound. No complaints here at all. Just very happy that there are some decent aftermarket stylus that for me work well and are very reasonable costing.:thmbsp:
 
II have a Technics SL-1600 with a stanton 681EEE cart. This is my first TT in 30 years. Any tables I owned in the 70's-early 80's were low-fi at best, so the stanton 681EEE is the only benchmark I have. I am extremely happy with it and im sure there are better carts but I dont see how it could get a lot better...I listen to classic rock and jazz/fusion so this is probably not worth upgrading.
 
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a Stanton 681EEE (I believe MK1) with a broken stylus. It came on my Technics SL-3200 which I found at a garage sale. I've been using a Shure M97xE, but I'd like to be able to use this, as according to online reviews it is the better cartridge. Any ideas on where to get a replacement? How much do NOS styli usually go for? And, will this be a good match for the SL-3200?
Thanks, Micah
 
Right around $100-$150 when you can find one on eBay. That’s your best bet. I don’t know the arm on the 3200 but it’s likely a safe enough bet. Good aftermarket styli are only about $40. Try the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE.

Available on eBay shipped for less than $30.
 
Get the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE-S, which is a .2x.7 elliptical aftermarket from The Voice of Music.

It’s sounds very good but you need to track it at VTFs higher than spec. I use 2.4 grams with no brush and it sounds very, very nice.
 
Get the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE-S, which is a .2x.7 elliptical aftermarket from The Voice of Music.

It’s sounds very good but you need to track it at VTFs higher than spec. I use 2.4 grams with no brush and it sounds very, very nice.
VTF’s higher than spec? Forgive me if I’m wrong, but won’t that cause increased wear on the stylus and record?
I think grabbing one of these I sent the plan. :)
I sent is supposed to say “is”. Siri’s fault, not mine.
 
Last edited:
I've been using a Shure M97xE, but I'd like to be able to use this, as according to online reviews it is the better cartridge.
The differences between the two cartridges are quite small in tonality.
They share the same "character", so to speak.

The Stanton does have the edge on separation, soundstage etc though.
 
It's after market. I've never seen any specs and I'm skeptic over the .2 X .7 tip dimensions just the same. Fact is, it performs great at 2.4g which is nearly twice the recommended VTF for the stock stylus. I'd much prefer it would be more compliant and track lower VTF but I've never noticed a shred of evidence for groove damage. My Denon DL-103's tracks at 2.5g VTF normally, and I'd up it all the way to 2.8g for some records. It's been like that for so many years and my records stay pristine. As for stylus damage... This is just my gut feeling but I think the Pfant 4822-DEE's do wear off a little faster than normal. I've been using them for something like 3 years and I've already ordered a bunch, but they serve me for a couple of 681eee carts and a 881S as well, so I don't keep close tabs. For the money right now, I can live with the downsides.
Got it. Thanks! I’ll order one of these this next week. :)
The differences between the two cartridges are quite small in tonality.
They share the same "character", so to speak.

The Stanton does have the edge on separation, soundstage etc though.
Good to know, my speakers can certainly make that extra detail known. Now, my power at this point can’t, but that’s a temporary problem.
(I’m running Polk LSi25’s with a Crown XLi800. Love the speakers, the amp was a huge mistake.)
 
Tonality might be similar, but dynamics are totally different. The Shure is very laid back, accentuating smoothness. Stanton has much better dynamics all around. It’s extremely lively where the Shure is more staid.

True.

When comparing the two in terms of dynamics, body and general "authority", the Shure M97xE is more "mellow".

However, I still like the sharpness and the detail of the M97xE in percussion work.
 
I like them both a lot. I think the M97xE is an awesome cartridge. I’ve stocked up since Shure has now quit the market.
Similar here.
Very nice indeed. And packs a nice brush too!

If you haven't tried it yet, you might also like the M92E (with original stylus).
Very pleasing sound. I would dare say that I prefer it to my M97xE (original sylus).
It's more close to a Pickering/Stanton that the M97xE

Another one to try is the M44-7 (with its original, mexico-made stylus).
It is quite unique.
I can't quite explain why, but it is special.
This one is not like a Stanton.
It definitely is like a Shure. But on steroids!
 
Yes, I agree. I have all of those. The M44-7 is quite loud and bassy. Think I might have two of them. The M92E is about as good as it gets. I was surprised at how well it performs since I got mine for $10. I have also installed a nude elliptical on a hardened, tapered aluminum cantilever on my M97xE. I broke the cantilever when it was brand new and rejoined the pieces and it played fine for a couple years and it still did when I decided to take the bonded .2 x .7 elliptical off and replace the cantilever with the new nude one. This has woken the M97xE up quite a bit--probably more the hardened, tapered aluminum alloy cantilever than the nude diamond itself. I also have Jico SAS/s and boron SAS as well as an Expert Stylus sapphire/Paratrace for the M97xE. All are quite good, but the nude elliptical and aluminum cantilever wake up the cartridge enough without going overboard into other realms that sound less Shure like to me.

I never understood the seemingly lackluster appreciation for the M97xE generally on Audio forums. But the general public loved (loves?) them. Tons sold on Amazon with glowing reviews. Of course, Stanton and Pickering were similarly not held in high regard back in the day by many people, which I find a fascinating observation regarding this hobby. To me, there's just nothing like a good Stanton or Pickering no matter how high up the chain you go. I still remember the very first time I heard one--a Stanton 680E V3 that I bought new at closeout for $20 and not expecting much at all. Wow. I think it may have changed my life.

The nude diamond is 0.2x0.7mil again?
I bet that it would give it some better imaging among else.
----------------------
The complain I read a lot about, has been that it is muted, missing top-end, i.e "dark".
I have some examples that I can call "dark", but again the M97xE ain't one of them..
Not even excessively "warm"..

The other complain I have read about, is that it's missing the middle band?
This, honestly I couldn't figure out.. What it'is suppose to mean..?
Tonality of that cartridge, sounds pretty well balanced to my ears.

As you also mentioned, there are totally other areas that might be 'missing' to a certain extend, like dynamism, authority, soundstage etc..
----------------------
Regarding public opinion and general appreciation of Shure and Stanton/Pickering, I think it's a matter that has some depth .. it has more to do with other things, than just their sonic performance. As you said, It's an interesting observation for analysis....

Stanton/Pickering has been the benchmark so to speak, for the type of sound I am looking for.
Shure are a second favorite.
ADC made a great initial impression with their entry ADC QLM30mkII and I must investigate further.
Empire seems to carry that airy flavor i like, but I have no first hand experience yet.
 
Just to provide some additional data:

I had sent JICO an email inquiry quite a long time ago,specifically regarding some stylus models available for the Stanton 681; the D6800E,D6800EE & D6800EEE.
Well,I actually received a very late but apologetic reply:

According to JICO,all three models track at the same weight,which is 0.75 gram to 1.50 gram. The ''E'' and ''EE'' are identical,while the ''EEE'' has a slightly higher compliance.
 
I have to say the Stanton 681EEE Calibration Standard ( I own two) has risen to the top of my cartridges as my "go to" most preferred listen cartridge. I have one OEM stylus and two original brushes.

I have had very good results using the original brush on the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE tracking at 1-gram to 1.25 grams. 95% of the albums play with NO sibilance.

I also have some EVG 822-DEEE stylus, they sound a little less bright compared to the Pfanstiehl.

Recently I bought a Pfanstiehl Pickering replacement 4606-DEG, the stylus and brush work very well with 1-1/25 gram tracking as it breaks in the sound is much like the 4822-DEE, slightly less top end but very full sound.

Overall on my Harmon Kardon ST-7, I really like the Stanton 681EEE sound. No complaints here at all. Just very happy that there are some decent aftermarket stylus that for me work well and are very reasonable costing.:thmbsp:

Thinking of trying my Pfanstiehl with my original Stanton brush. You are setting vtf at 2 to 2.25 then adding the brush, correct?
 
Back
Top Bottom