• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opinions on Pioneer PL-12D

BobHicks

AK Subscriber
Looking at a Pioneer PL-12D belt drive with a new Grado Black for $100 US. Is this a good TT or just low end? Your thoughts? Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
The 12D was, in its time, the "budget deck of choice" among many record enthusiasts. Pioneer sold boat loads of them. Indeed, it was targetted at the price - conscious consumer, but it had great build quality for its price range. It could also, and still does for many, produce quite good results.

I remember the damn things were everywhere, and were usually mated with a Shure (M75? series) cartridge. The results were very good, and people snapped them up. I think its a great testament to vintage gear that a great many of these tables are still around and still being enjoyed.

You might quibble withe $100 price tag a bit. However, if it is a local sale, you have the ability of checking it out thoroughly before you buy it. A Grado Black may be a good match for that table, too, assuming that the Grado doesn't hum. I think the 12D had a steel platter, so there's a possibility that the unshielded Grado might hum a bit. You might check the Grado Hum thread which is a "sticky" thread in this forum.
 
Not a bad table....

Sold a lot of them in the 70s. Funny, we sold it new for what you are buying it for. Ran a Grado Black on a belt drive Yamaha with a metal platter with no problems. The PL 12 should be OK with that cart. It was Pioneers base model. For a $100 it better be minty. I agree,try to get it for a little less. If you get it put on a new belt. Good luck.

Eric:music:
 
I picked up a 12-D a couple weeks ago. Its a nice manual table. The wow/flutter is rated at 1% on that one and I think the manual is available online free at vinylengine.

I paid $25 usd for mine, plus tax so really $27. New belt was $10 plus $4 shipping (turntablebasics). If I put a new cart in it, say a Shure M97x for about $60, then it would be very close to the $100 usd price.

Here is a link to my post: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230975

Read the part about the oil. If you get this table, you'll need to know about that.

//Smorgy
 
Hey Bob. I inherited a PL12-D from my father a few years back, and just recently got it cleaned up and running. I can't attest much to their performance as I have nothing to compare it to (my previous TT was a super cheap 1980's something-or-other combo unit - threw it out over ten years ago). I will say, however, that they must be a pretty solid unit. Dad bought his new in the 70's while in the army, and moved it all over the country doing construction work from the early 80's through the mid 90's with no special care or packaging, and by the time it got to me (after being stuffed in a closet for 10 years) it fired right up - no questions asked. The cart was bad, so I went ahead and replaced the belt along with it for good form and oiled just because it seemed like the right thing to do. But it really survived the years in fantastic shape. It's probably been in almost every state in the continental U.S., and parts of southern Canada.

Anyway. My personal opinion is that, for something that was produced in such high numbers, and is still fairly common today, $100 sounds pretty steep. Even with the new cart. I'd at least shoot for something below $75. What kind of shape is the unit in?

Good luck. Let us know how you come out!
 
A new Grado Black sold for $60 which means the table itself is only $40. I'd say that $100 for that combo is a fair price IF, and only if, the 12D is perfect and the cartridge is actually new, or close to it. If the stylus is worn, knock off $30.
 
Thanks for all the advice. It is a new
cartridge and a new belt. The TT looks to be in fine shape except for a fair sized chunk out of the back side of the lid. All in all I think I'll pass on this one as It isn't really an exeptional buy. I have purchased from the dealer before with no problems (a new Gardo Green) and he is in the east end of Toronto if anyone is interested in it. Pick up is available. It is posted on E-bay.ca.
 
Back
Top Bottom