• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Optimus 1B loudspeakers

The "Econowave" idea is entertaining. Those Yamaha's are great looking speakers, nice pick up. Was that a craigslist find? I've been watching craigslist and estate sales, like many, hope to find something interesting, as well as, pick up some more albums for the collection. Its been fun enjoying this again with my seven year old. So far he likes Jimi Hendrix the most :rockon:

Good luck with the speaker search. There are so many different makes and models from over the years that you should be able to find something excellent for $400. Yet, I would still encourage you to consider buying new, or at least a recent used model.

Neat to hear about your boy’s affinity for Hendrix. My kids are still a work in progress, but they are definitely interested in different gear and how it works.

The Yamahas were a Craigslist find. All Yamaha speakers I’ve seen and heard came from rack systems and were not particularly impressive. But I could see the quality in the build of the NS-670s, so I took a chance without knowing a whole lot about them. Turns out they’re the predecessor of the very well regarded NS-1000. I’m still getting acquainted with the NS-670s, but I’m really digging them so far.
 
Good luck with the speaker search. There are so many different makes and models from over the years that you should be able to find something excellent for $400. Yet, I would still encourage you to consider buying new, or at least a recent used model.

Neat to hear about your boy’s affinity for Hendrix. My kids are still a work in progress, but they are definitely interested in different gear and how it works.

The Yamahas were a Craigslist find. All Yamaha speakers I’ve seen and heard came from rack systems and were not particularly impressive. But I could see the quality in the build of the NS-670s, so I took a chance without knowing a whole lot about them. Turns out they’re the predecessor of the very well regarded NS-1000. I’m still getting acquainted with the NS-670s, but I’m really digging them so far.
I read some on the econowave thread, a lot of information, easy for a newbie like me to get lost in. I like the idea. I might be leaning that way. If I do I’m looking at the Dayton pro woofer PA225-8 10” with the Selenium D220Ti. I’m looking for the crossover specs, but there’s a lot to read though, lm a little lost. But, I think I can pull it together within my budget and end up with something nice.

My son isn’t quite ready for Miles Davis yet so next week I’m introducing him to Pick Floyd. The education continues.....
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom