• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ORB SMF-2 Stylus Force Gauge

Register to hide this ad
Haven't tried the Orb but seeing as it's made in Japan, I figure you can't go wrong.

How much are they selling for?
 
Seems way too much money for this operation. Since I use a Shure SFG-2 and tonearm calibrations on those tonearms that have the feature, I guess I'm just old-fashioned about this aspect.

For the life of me I just don't know how important it is to have the tracking force at 1.62 instead of 1.63.

I like the limited scale of this ORB unit. 0-15 grams. Many have seen the link in $ & ¢ for the scale that costs under 10 bucks on the bay. This one has a much higher capacity. I always like the capacity to be a reasonable multiple of the expected measurement. A few times, not 50 times like the 100-gram capacity scales would have. This 0-15 capacity allows the scale to work in the sweet part of the range, not one end of the range.

But what do I know, using old balance scales, to dial in 1.6 grams, the hell with anything in the third digit.
 
Seems way too much money for this operation. Since I use a Shure SFG-2 and tonearm calibrations on those tonearms that have the feature, I guess I'm just old-fashioned about this aspect.

For the life of me I just don't know how important it is to have the tracking force at 1.62 instead of 1.63.

I like the limited scale of this ORB unit. 0-15 grams. Many have seen the link in $ & ¢ for the scale that costs under 10 bucks on the bay. This one has a much higher capacity. I always like the capacity to be a reasonable multiple of the expected measurement. A few times, not 50 times like the 100-gram capacity scales would have. This 0-15 capacity allows the scale to work in the sweet part of the range, not one end of the range.

But what do I know, using old balance scales, to dial in 1.6 grams, the hell with anything in the third digit.

I've got the Shure SFG-2 but my eyesight doesn't help much. Everytime I used the Shure it's way out due to the fact that my eyes unable to calibrate well. I need a digital gauge.
 
It's 465 on eBay and 431 in one of the Jap audio site.
Wow, at that price I don't expect they'll sell very many. I guess they won't have to. Still, I'd feel more comfortable with one of these than one of the cheap ones that are littering eBay these days.

I use a general purpose digital scale that I adapted with a dropped shelf to measure VTF. It self calibrates when it's turned on and is accurate to .1 gm which is good enough for me. I had a Shure SFG-2 at one time but found the steel beam was inappropriate for the large magnets in a moving coil.
 
Good grief! Talk about over kill. This thing weighs a half pound.

Gimme a break. I'm with Blue Shadow. I still use my trusty SFG-2, have for 40 years. Works perfectly. You DO NOT need to measure tracking force in tenth gram increments.

$400+......puleeeze.......

By the way ripblade, you got me thinking....I use a Denon DL103D moving coil and I have never noticed any problem when balancing the arm with my SFG-2. I just checked, my balancing arm is not steel, maybe aluminum. But it's not ferrous.
 
Last edited:
No offense but that much money for a scale is a complete and utter rip off. I use one of those ultra cheap digital scales from ebay that another member here turned me onto. 8$ including the shipping. Done. [Had written that it was accurate to the hundreths just like the ORB unit but had misremembered -- it's accurate to the tenths.]
 
Last edited:
By the way ripblade, you got me thinking....I use a Denon DL103D moving coil and I have never noticed any problem when balancing the arm with my SFG-2. I just checked, my balancing arm is not steel, maybe aluminum. But it's not ferrous.
It could be they changed materials over time - mine was fairly new....maybe 5 years old now. It was made in Mexico.

I forget which cartridge I was using at the time, but the beam came up and flattened the cantilever against the pickup body, nearly damaging it. Definitely ferrous.
 
It could be they changed materials over time - mine was fairly new....maybe 5 years old now. It was made in Mexico.

I forget which cartridge I was using at the time, but the beam came up and flattened the cantilever against the pickup body, nearly damaging it. Definitely ferrous.

HOLY CRAP! That is a problem. Yea, mine is anything but new. I think I got it about 1972 or so.
 
Back
Top Bottom