• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Original Dark Shadows - 1966 - 1971

Jonathan Frid came from my hometown, Hamilton, Ontario.

The show was nigh unwatchable - tedious and SLOW as you can imagine. They spent episodes and countless episodes going OVER AND FRIGGEN OVER who cut the brakes on the car.

Took some hundred hours of your time before the vampire first turns up.
 
Jonathan Frid came from my hometown, Hamilton, Ontario.

The show was nigh unwatchable - tedious and SLOW as you can imagine. They spent episodes and countless episodes going OVER AND FRIGGEN OVER who cut the brakes on the car.

Took some hundred hours of your time before the vampire first turns up.
 
IIRC, it was ALL videotape, which was still sorta in its babyhood. I loved it, too, one station ran the next day's episode right after another channel ran the "Correct" episode. Loved how they'd jump back & forth thru time-Still kinda hokey, tho. But, yeah, they'd go thru a whole week's worth of shows, & the ACTION might advance 10-15 minutes' worth-Time travel be damned...
 
I have the original soundtrack on vinyl recently found at a thrift store for $.59! I was happy as could be :)

Mystic- good question! I’m not really sure about the teen heartthrob, although I do recall tiger beat (Scott Baio, David Cassidy!)...

FONSguy- you’re an expert on Dark Shadows! I have not seen very many episodes, but I am now so hooked since discovering them late at night on Decades. I think the show was really ahead of its time, and yes, wow—live performances! The special effects are pretty good to me even now.

CT_Ohio- I must be one of the rare ones who really got a kick out of the modern twist on dark shadows!

NAD80- It’s still kind of spooky LOL.

Thank you all so much for your contributions!

I hope everyone has a great weekend

The movie was downright silly. Chloe Moretz as the Wolf Girl, mmkay.

I'd entirely forgotten about 1991 Ben Cross reboot, which I watched from start to end... enjoyed that.

ANNNND it seems they're not done reinventing it... https://deadline.com/2019/09/dark-s...s-collins-mark-b-perry-dan-curtis-1202729676/
 
The best episode of dark shadows thus far, was last night! On the decades channel, Barnabas was having some wicked fun with scaring the Reverend. I got a kick out of some of the special effects. Yes, they are dated, but this was the late 60s. Pretty good.
 
The original network show lasted nearly five years: June 27, 1966, to April 2, 1971, with 1225 episodes and six seasons.

I vaguely recall portions of the show as a young girl, and Dark Shadows sparked my first love for Vampires. If anybody should contribute to this post, it doesn’t have to stick with the theme of only Dark Shadows. It can be about different shows/films/anything you like or compare/contrast vampire related.

I’m looking for the original Dark Shadows series to collect every single episode, but they certainly cost a small fortune. Anyway, just thought I would see if there are any other fans out there?

Almost forgot! If anyone is able to get Decades TV channel, original Dark Shadows airs one episode each weeknight at midnight.

I watched it back then on weekday afternoons after school...
 
There was another cheap knock-off called Strange Paradise... It stunk!

The most interesting thing about Dark Shadows was Dick Smith the make-up artist. He did the appliance make up for a 200 year old Barnabas. Dick used a very new technique to make the parts with extremely thin edges, so one piece could slightly cover another. It took 4 hours to put it on.
Anyone buy the 45 record of "Quentin's Theme"???
 
Back
Top Bottom