• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Original EPI M100?

Koloderko

Active Member
Hi!
I've read it somewhere that the original EPI M100's had butyl surrounds for the woofers? Is that true? Did they later switch to foam? If it's true about butyl, could it be one of them?
 

Attachments

  • EPI M100 original butyl or not.png
    EPI M100 original butyl or not.png
    787 KB · Views: 144
  • EPI M100 SN.png
    EPI M100 SN.png
    487.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Having a nice set of 150's just a bigger cab to reach down deeper. I had a mint pair but the surround needed replacement with human speakers. That surround looks brand new and to be honest my before and after was 1970's seeds popping job doublewide strawberry papers to raw organic smooth pumpers. M100 isn't close to the 150 or above models.Please wait, the river will provide and you will be rewarded with sonic grace. Bottom line looks replaces but not human the only real replacement to smash original specs to death......lol
 
Having a nice set of 150's just a bigger cab to reach down deeper. I had a mint pair but the surround needed replacement with human speakers. That surround looks brand new and to be honest my before and after was 1970's seeds popping job doublewide strawberry papers to raw organic smooth pumpers. M100 isn't close to the 150 or above models.Please wait, the river will provide and you will be rewarded with sonic grace. Bottom line looks replaces but not human the only real replacement to smash original specs to death......lol
Oh, I know about the river. But I think I can get it down to a grant. I think it's tempting me. What do you think?
 
I have a pair of EPI M110s. My M110s have the same inverted tweeter and the exact same 8" woofer with butyl surrounds. The 110 is simply in a bigger box so the bass goes down a bit lower than the 100.
 
I just bought a pair of M150 with rubber surrounds. It looks like someone tried to reglue the surrounds 'cuz glue is smeared all over the basket side of the surround. They sure do sound good, though. Once I recap I am sure that they will sound even better than my M100.
 
I just bought a pair of M150 with rubber surrounds. It looks like someone tried to reglue the surrounds 'cuz glue is smeared all over the basket side of the surround. They sure do sound good, though. Once I recap I am sure that they will sound even better than my M100.

Without hearing the 150's, i've always assumed they have to be the best Epi bookshelf, given the increased cabinet volume --- especially if you got a pair of the early cabinets which are better built vs. the later ones. i have an extra pair of Audyn caps if you're interested --- i upgraded to Sonicaps/film.
 
real wood cabinets, low serial numbers, melanite tweeter plate; I'd say yes, it is quite possible the woofers are original. 'Nice speakers, take care of them. I've had a set for around 50 years and while various models of speaker exotica have come and gone in my house I've ever felt the need to part with them. 'Not prefect but surprisingly good for their size, price, and age.
 
Spell check for Masonite or hardboard as some call it.

'yup. Sadly, if my life depended on my spelling skills I've been dead along time ago. Spell check actually makes it worse at times, it will change things and since I barely can tell the difference anyway....
 
I cannot tell by the picture if your speakers have rubber or foam surrounds. In either case I think your surrounds are replacement since they do not seem to have the 'fillet' shape that I believe both the original butyl and foam surrounds had, though my eyes have deceived before. One of my M-110's have a serial number of 11530 (yes, M-100's would have a different series of numbers but I think it's likely there would be some correlation in terms of age) and had the butyl surrounds, unfortunately time and poor storage conditions had stiffened them requiring replacement. I was able to find fillet shaped surrounds in foam but not rubber, but the rubber may be out there somewhere and I just didn't find them.
 
Thank you all! That's a lot of great info. Sadly, though, someone closer to the seller has snatched them. I'm not crying though as I just picked up a nice pair of Japan made Minimus 7W's at my local GW. What fun little speakers! I'm currently using them as my desktop speakers and they're great! I see there are mods for them to make them even better. I'll give it a try.
 
7B0CB0AD-6621-4063-A520-6D48D91ACE07.jpeg
Hi!
I've read it somewhere that the original EPI M100's had butyl surrounds for the woofers? Is that true? Did they later switch to foam? If it's true about butyl, could it be one of them?

Definitely foam on the posted M100s. Here’s my M110 woofer with rubber. Clearly different. Note the cutouts around the screws on the rubber but not the foam.
 
If someone put foam surrounds on the speakers in the OP, without removing the cardboard gasket ring behind the surrounds- then they did it wrong

The replacement foam surrounds available, all will only line up properly (as in not be trying to pull the cone forward, at rest), if the surrounds are flat on the metal basket. I've had to rework a number of those, that people mistakenly didn't remove the cardboard ring before refoaming...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom