• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Original EPI M100?

If someone put foam surrounds on the speakers in the OP, without removing the cardboard gasket ring behind the surrounds- then they did it wrong

The replacement foam surrounds available, all will only line up properly (as in not be trying to pull the cone forward, at rest), if the surrounds are flat on the metal basket. I've had to rework a number of those, that people mistakenly didn't remove the cardboard ring before refoaming...

Regards,
Gordon.
Good point about the cardboard ring. Thanks! I'm looking at some speakers now that, if I get them, could use a refoam and I'll keep that in mind. Is replacing butyl surrounds also called "refoaming"?
 
BTW: Speaking as an owner:

den.jpg

My three M150s are the basis of my HT system, and are modded, with riser bases that increase the cabinet volume from 1.4 cubic feet, to 1.75 cubic feet, and convert them to vented enclosures. They're flat into the mid 20s, this way.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Nice! I gather that some vintage gear, for various reasons, is DIY/modding friendly. Still one has to know what one is doing and what end result they're after. That's why I appreciate al the knowledge being shared on this site.
 
Hi!
I've read it somewhere that the original EPI M100's had butyl surrounds for the woofers? Is that true? Did they later switch to foam? If it's true about butyl, could it be one of them?
Hello sir, I ve had a few encounters with different models and examples of EPI's myself I did stumble upon pair with of epi 110s I believe and yes they were earlier generations and they had rubber surround 8 inch woofer and in fact the rubber had aged out a bit badly itself, I ve read the same info somewhere myself. But the other epi 100s I had were of the foam surrounds including an earlier pair with the "Masonite" tweeter and the later70s more "attractive" finish 100s of course that were foam surrounds,that was somewhat intriguing to me when I'd seen two pairs earlier models with rubber surrounds!
 
BTW: Speaking as an owner:

View attachment 2011403

My three M150s are the basis of my HT system, and are modded, with riser bases that increase the cabinet volume from 1.4 cubic feet, to 1.75 cubic feet, and convert them to vented enclosures. They're flat into the mid 20s, this way.

Regards,
Gordon.

That's amazing. Did you have to make any changes to the one you are using as a center channel since it's on its side?
 
That's amazing. Did you have to make any changes to the one you are using as a center channel since it's on its side?

No, not really. The tweeters are offset at an angle (not directly above the woofer) in a stock M150- so, it's just at a different angle, on its side. I made sure that it was above the woofer, in the direction I placed it on its side.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
No, not really. The tweeters are offset at an angle (not directly above the woofer) in a stock M150- so, it's just at a different angle, on its side. I made sure that it was above the woofer, in the direction I placed it on its side.

Regards,
Gordon.
wow, this is really interesting - you vented the cabinet? Beyond my skill set. Have you ever measured the various epicure tweeters? Lots of anecdotal comments suggest the original masonite is the best of the bunch vs. the later ferro fluid designed versions. I always assumed the masonites suffer some degradation over 45+ years? I have no way of measuring/knowing, but clearly you do. Also interested to know what your capacitor choice is in your Epiucres?
 
Back
Top Bottom