• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pacific Northwest AK mini-meet

Hey Sluggo,I bet you "preen" over the thrifts and yard/garage sales in your neck of the woods like I do over on the Island!!There's a couple of collectors over here I have to contend with,but we all have our preferences,and it stays civil.My main concern goes with the tourist(s) who are just passing thru,they can snarf a rare find in a heartbeat!! :yes: :music: Rob
 
That's too funny!

Sorry it's taken me so long to post thoughts and thank you's to all attendees.

We had a great time good food and an ear full of tunes.

I love to meet new people and Rob, Casey, Thom and Doug were really nice people. I have pictures of some of the gear to post later. I won't get too detailed about the gear right now since I am working but my favorite combination was the Sansui 9900 and the Sonrise speakers. We listened to the MONO reissue of Axis Bold As Love and it sounded really nice. We didn't speak much between the album flip. Only to resolve some low end feedback by placing a couch cushion under the tt (yes it was level).

Thanks all and let's do it again. Casey didn't beat me to the 300 records for 10 cents each CL post. Sometimes you have to stay up really late to get up early.

Rick
 
You know what tho?
This weekend I saw Retrokeeper going into a building at a swap meet just after I came out with a Sansui AU 5900 under my arm, then today I see Speakerlabfan lurking about at a thrift that I once took a pair of SP 300 speakers out of one week then the SP 200's the next week.
You fellows will have to arise a bit earlier when hunting with me...LOL.
And you didn't see me did you?
Casey:smoke:

Hey! Casey, that's hilarious. I bet you'll see me alot because I'm a regular lurker in the local thrifts. I didn't see you on Sunday, maybe it was because I was so focused on gear and LPs. Plus I think I was recovering from moments earlier walking into an estate sale in a frighteningly bad smelling house - I actually think someone had died there, it was really awful, and no sign of gear or records, so I got out quickly.

It's funny because I was telling Retrokeeper that, just after seeing his passion for 8-track recorders at the AK meet, I ran into a nice looking Pioneer H-R9000 unit at the Lynnwood GW for $6.99. I'm holding it for him. :thmbsp:

So I didn't get totally skunked. (except at that estate sale in more ways than one!) and continuing my rounds today after work I found a Dual 1009 TT with a nice cartridge at St. Vinnies! I also saw some Sansui 2-way bookshelf speakers with the wood lattice grills for $6.99 at the Bellevue GW - didn't get the model #. Give a shout next time you see me at the thrifts, and I'll watch for the guy in the Sansui t-shirt.

Here's a picture of the 8-track (cool green lighted meters):

IMAGE_00403.jpg
 
Hey! Casey, that's hilarious. I bet you'll see me alot because I'm a regular lurker in the local thrifts. I didn't see you on Sunday, maybe it was because I was so focused on gear and LPs. Plus I think I was recovering from moments earlier walking into an estate sale in a frighteningly bad smelling house - I actually think someone had died there, it was really awful, and no sign of gear or records, so I got out quickly.

It's funny because I was telling Retrokeeper that, just after seeing his passion for 8-track recorders at the AK meet, I ran into a nice looking Pioneer H-R9000 unit at the Lynnwood GW for $6.99. I'm holding it for him. :thmbsp:

So I didn't get totally skunked. (except at that estate sale in more ways than one!) and continuing my rounds today after work I found a Dual 1009 TT with a nice cartridge at St. Vinnies! I also saw some Sansui 2-way bookshelf speakers with the wood lattice grills for $6.99 at the Bellevue GW - didn't get the model #. Give a shout next time you see me at the thrifts, and I'll watch for the guy in the Sansui t-shirt.

Here's a picture of the 8-track (cool green lighted meters):

IMAGE_00403.jpg

That's a nice looking deck. If I found one of those I might actually pick those too.
 
I think Ive seen that model 8 track somewhere!?!

(I hope I dont get into trouble for the pic,I got it from
a Famous thread here on AK)
"Hey Sluggo,I bet you "preen" over the thrifts and yard/garage sales in your neck of the woods like I do over on the Island!!"

Thats right Rob,I forgot-You also have to take a boat
or bridge to get to your Paradise.
I do/did have ONE guy that was like my Evil audio
arch nemisis.Id pull up to a sale and see his blue
mercedes, Knowing he had already obsconded on
anything Vintage(I think he fiqured out, I was the one
letting air out of his tires)
Now were Pals and know each others Dream piece's,
He's the one that let me know there were Polk
SDA-1A's waiting at the P.T. GW for me:thmbsp:
Im hoping to run into some SAE gear for him
and return the favour!
Before I forget-I havent seen anyone mention Rick's
Belle's in a post yet???
 
Last edited:
(I hope I dont get into trouble for the pic,I got it from
a Famous thread here on AK)
"Hey Sluggo,I bet you "preen" over the thrifts and yard/garage sales in your neck of the woods like I do over on the Island!!"

Thats right Rob,I forgot-You also have to take a boat
or bridge to get to your Paradise.
I do/did have ONE guy that was like my Evil audio
arch nemisis.Id pull up to a sale and see his blue
mercedes, Knowing he had already obsconded on
anything Vintage(I think he fiqured out, I was the one
letting air out of his tires)
Now were Pals and know each others Dream piece's,
He's the one that let me know there were Polk
SDA-1A's waiting at the P.T. GW for me:thmbsp:
Im hoping to run into some SAE gear for him
and return the favour!
Before I forget-I havent seen anyone mention Rick's
Belle's in a post yet???


It's funny you mention that. We really didn't audition them. I don't think anyone was that interested in them. They were by far the best pair of speakers in the house and we heard about 2 songs on them. Larry was the last to leave so we hung out in the 'manhole' and started playing some records down there. I put on the Classic version of Led Zeppelin II and that pretty much ended the night for him. It was crushing to say the least. Maybe I can talk people into doing some listening next time I have a mini-gathering.

rick
 
It's funny you mention that. We really didn't audition them. I don't think anyone was that interested in them. They were by far the best pair of speakers in the house and we heard about 2 songs on them.
rick

I requested some Trower on the Belles - the first cut on Bridge of Sighs. I think that the living room was more interesting because there was alot of interesting gear brought in there. I wish I could have stuck around for when you threw on the Zeppelin. "crushing" is a good description I'll bet. :thmbsp::music:

Is there any audio gear in that picture Mark? I'm having trouble focusing on the foreground. :)
 
Last edited:
PNW Mini Meet

It's funny you mention that. We really didn't audition them. I don't think anyone was that interested in them. They were by far the best pair of speakers in the house and we heard about 2 songs on them. Larry was the last to leave so we hung out in the 'manhole' and started playing some records down there. I put on the Classic version of Led Zeppelin II and that pretty much ended the night for him. It was crushing to say the least. Maybe I can talk people into doing some listening next time I have a mini-gathering.

rick

I wished I could have stayed longer, but it was midnight and been up since 2:30 am, with a long drive ahead. Certainly the best I have ever heard LedZep 2. Just an eerie silence between tracks which gave me a better appreciation for Ricks system. I was hearing things on the lp which I had never heard before......:thmbsp:
 
LOL, Rick, you know if I had a TT up and running I may well have had those discs...
Casey:banana:

I believe it!

I have a shot at some stuff now while I am on vacation. See you at the g-sales this weekend. I will be the one on the way out with all the vintagw Sui's.

Rick
 
I requested some Trower on the Belles - the first cut on Bridge of Sighs. I think that the living room was more interesting because there was alot of interesting gear brought in there. I wish I could have stuck around for when you threw on the Zeppelin. "crushing" is a good description I'll bet. :thmbsp::music:

Is there any audio gear in that picture Mark? I'm having trouble focusing on the foreground. :)

I do have to agree with you. My "manhole" is really not the best place to chat or listen with more than 3. The livingroom was set up a little better for sure. It did sound nice in there!

rick
 
Back
Top Bottom