• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V.2 : Love at First Thump!

Bostown

Low End Audio Enthusiast!
Subscriber
My Recently adopted Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.2 have quickly earned a place on my Keepers roster. Just in time for the arrival of a second Aragon 4004 MKII amp. - I'll give them the full business this weekend but I'm already convinced that they've found a permanent role amongst the excess that has become my audio gear "collection".

_DSC7991.JPG


I noted in another thread, that it's time (as south park's Ned and Uncle Jimbo would say) to "thin out their numbers". Whatever the final shake out is in the end, the Paradigm's are staying, which means that There will be tough parting decisions to make.

Anyone else using these speakers (past or present) or any other models from the early reference line?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Back in 1998 I bought a pair of Studio 20v.1 and kept them for about year. I sold them on when I "upgraded" to something else and immediately regretted it. I kicked myself for years for that decision.

A couple of years later a pair of v.2's came available to me at a good price and I bought them and still use them in a bedroom system. I'm not making the same mistake twice!
 
in 1997 I bough these... Studio60...
52cb3e2d.jpg


Love them... Have the center channel also with paradigm Sub.
Great speakers. I have been using my DCM Timewindows as rears in the theater but the DCM's always get pulled out to listen to them alone....
 
they sound better in a near field situation - I tryed them in a big room and they didnt do it - smaller room and closer to speakers and they sounded very good
 
I am using mine in a pretty big room that spills into the Kitchen. They sound great. Very accurate and good imaging. Even at loud levels still puts in it punch when needed.
Now mine are floor speaks not bookshelf...
 
Pair of 40 v2's here, with the (gorgeous) Rosenut veneer. The v2's are thought by many (well OK, me) to be the best of the bunch.

Hadn't run them in my set-up for a long time, so thought I might sell them. Dropped the Mrs. off at the Airport a couple of weeks ago, hauled them up out of the basement, listened to them for a few days, and danged if I can let them go:music:. Maybe next year...
 
I too have a set of 40 v.2's. I thought of selling them as they were part of a high end theater system I built but never used, so everything got sold except these. I thought about it, hooked them up one last time and they've been hooked up one last time for the last three months. yeah, not going anywhere... at least until I get my Metronome 2's going.
 
They definitely sound great, I'm not going to be replacing those Sonus Faber Concerto's ( hiding in the background in the photo) but they will definitely get plenty of play time.

Those Studio 60's look pretty damn impressive as well.
 
Loved the studio 20's that were set up at a local stereo shop, I preferred the 20v1's over the 60v1 because the 20's bass seemed faster and snappier while the 60's bass was a bit bloated sounding and slow and seemed to mask some of the midrange detail, they did play very deep and loud. The 60v2 seemed tighter and more controlled.

Anyway those 20's will keep you happy for years !
 
I owned Studio 20v1, v2 and v3's as well as Studio 40 v2's, v3's and Studio 60 v1's...You don't want me to start listing the Paradigm Monitor Series speakers and subwoofers I've owned. I like the Paradigm sound.
 
I have the Studio 100 v.1's (1992-96 IIRC) which contain similar drivers as the Studio 20 and 40 pictures. I was driving them with an Aragon 4004 MkII as well, with a Melos SHA-1 tube headphone / pre amp. Sold the amp, but I am keeping the speakers, as their imaging was amazing, and tight bass.
 
BTW that looks like a Martin Logan Dynamo in the background. Owned one of those too.

Damn, you've got a good set of peepers on you. That shot is like "where's waldo" I already named the SF Concerto's in the pic earlier. Did anyone catch the tweeter on the keyboard? That's a bonus round question for anyone else who's playing. :)
 
Last edited:
I've got a pair of Studio 100 v2s as the mains in my HT rig... absolutely love them. Ridiculously power-hungry, but when fed well, they pay back nicely. I've got the matching center as well, but I'm running a Velodyne FSR-18 sub and Boston Acoustics 575x surrounds.

I've got an 18lb cat that almost knocked one over shortly after I bought them by sitting on top and kicking hard as he jumped off, if my rack wasn't right there next to it at the time, it would have gone completely over. Considering they weigh around 100lbs each, I wasn't expecting that. So I ended up designing some stabilizing feet for them and having a metal shop fabricate them up to use with the stock gold metal feet.

front2.jpg


front.jpg


-Mike
 
I've got an 18lb cat that almost knocked one over shortly after I bought them by sitting on top and kicking hard as he jumped off, if my rack wasn't right there next to it at the time, it would have gone completely over. Considering they weigh around 100lbs each, I wasn't expecting that. So I ended up designing some stabilizing feet for them and having a metal shop fabricate them up to use with the stock gold metal feet.

front.jpg


-Mike

Those stabilizing feet came out nice. they look "stable" and fit the design of the speakers.

I gave the studio 20's a proper workout and they deserve the praise they've been given. Now I have to re-write my "stay/ go" list, which is always tough, but I can't keep them all. Might be time to open a retail shop. hahaha.
 
Thanks.. I don't think they hurt or help the sound at all, but at least they haven't been tipped since. :-)

Hahaha @ the retail shop... I've got a spare room that has a whole bunch of gear... only a couple of vintage pieces, but computer gear too... I was thinking today that I really need to sell a few things. Of course, that'll just give me "toy" money to buy new things... never-ending cycle.
 
Thanks.. I don't think they hurt or help the sound at all, but at least they haven't been tipped since. :-)

Hahaha @ the retail shop... I've got a spare room that has a whole bunch of gear... only a couple of vintage pieces, but computer gear too... I was thinking today that I really need to sell a few things. Of course, that'll just give me "toy" money to buy new things... never-ending cycle.

absolutely, collecting anything can become more about the process than the actual items themselves. I know first hand, damn near every 2 channel amp i have must have a mate, Speakers in my world are to be owned in sets of 4 , and anything half decent under a certain dollar amount must be rescued, nursed back to good health and then put up for adoption. The selling part makes it a sustainable hobby for sure. "quid pro quo"
 
Since this is a temporary bedroom system, it will work but not to it's full potential with a mere 90 watts, which isn't shabby either

I've got a clock radio in my bedroom hahah. Have you ever heard or tried the NAD 2200 PE? Despite it's pedestrian looks, it's got quite a bit of balls behind it. I keep one handy for any power hungry speakers I came across. There are some quirks and routine maintenance that need to be done to keep it's solder joints and relays in top shape but those things aside the little NAD has some serious punch.

The Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 have been getting the BUSINESS from every nearly ever amp in my "collection". I have a lead on a pair of Celestion SL600si's that I want to A/B with the Paradigms. bi amped with a pair of Aragon 4004 II's.

Right now the V.2's are on Crown SA-2 duty. and sounding great.
 
and after a couple of years of digging the studio 20 v2...
I add a set of v3 to the stable. its going to take a few more years before i catch up to Paradigm and their current incarnation of the studio 20. what are the up to? v5?
then there's the signature line. this could get expensive :)
 
I've owned studio 20 v.1's and a pair of monitor 20 v.1. Great speakers. Ran the monitors with four NAD 2100 power envelope amplifiers. Sound stage was amazing. Your right definitely keeps. Wish I still had mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom