• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paris at night

axel

Super Member
Last night I was on a photoshoot and got to the top of the Opera Garnier for part of the shoot - windy, snowy and quite cold but a beautiful light due to the clouds reflecting the city lights was making up for the freezing fingers, nose and ear lobes :)
When you're standing on the top part of the Opera's roof and look down to what's below the scene, it adds up to a slightly frightening 75 meters!

Of course, I chose that night to have a cold and a slight fever - so now I have a real cold and a real fever :D And since another night of shoot is up for friday, chances of me getting rid of that cold are now nil.

But what a city!
 

Attachments

  • 0162.jpg
    0162.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 92
  • 0155.jpg
    0155.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 0152.jpg
    0152.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 0149.jpg
    0149.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 86
Register to hide this ad
Beautiful, simply beautiful. Axel, again you wow us ! But PLEASE, take care of yrself ! Don't slip & fall & go Splatt ! on the sidewalk <grin>...And don't let that cold get outta hand..could develop into pneumonia...that ain't no fun. My mom had that, & once you get it, you're liable to have it over & over...But those photos are simply breathtaking...-Sandy G.
 
It was very nice indeed - of course, it's the bad weather that made the light: if it had been clear sky (so even colder) it would've not looked like this at all! Wish I could have taken a 4x5" as that would've been much better.

I've done oodles of night-views like this in my somewhat younger days and did win a grant with some of them :) The film I used then unfortunately doesn't exist anymore - Agfa 1000ISO which I was using with either a 'Blad or Mamiya RZ-67. Still have the 50*60cm Cibachrome prints of most of these and they are quite... quite! No Photoshop, no digitalia - just natural reeflected light.

The cold is slowly going away as I've transformed my apartment into a sweat-shop! I'll be quite fit for friday - to catch another cold :D
 
Hi Axel
What did you end up shooting this on? Not digital, I hope! Be nice to pull a nice cibachrome of these images, number 2 being my fav!
Erik
 
Stunning !

Hope to visit there one day..
 
Bigerik said:
Hi Axel
What did you end up shooting this on? Not digital, I hope! Be nice to pull a nice cibachrome of these images, number 2 being my fav!
Erik

yep - digital :(
I have to say, though, that setting up the 4x5" up there with the wind and snow would've been... acrobatic! But since I'm going back friday, I'll manage to leave a card and ask for permission to make a couple more with a little pre-paration.
Unfortunately, Cibachrome ain't with us anymore either (and no smilie'd be strong enough for what that makes me feel).

Any city with a cloudy sky in the winter will have this kind of light (even a simple industrial zone) but Paris adds some because of all the lit monuments and buildings and a fairly low "ceiling". The snow did add a reflective "layer" as well last night but around Christmas it is even brighter!

Brassai had the chance to work when there was little cars, street signs and advertsing polluting the perspectives (if any). That's why I stopped field work some 15 years ago - now we got to go on rooftops to see something open and just sitting there by itself :D

thanks for your kind words all - wish you'd been there with me... pretty large roof! If it looks as good friday I'll post some more here.
 
My private Paris at night story

Paris is a very nice city :drool: if you don´t visit it by car !

I made that mistake two years ago and I can only say:

Every rumor about the parisian´s ability as a car driver are true:
They all drive like terrorists (sorry Axel) !

That gets even more obvious if you are in the evening rush hour and you drive a brand new car and every other car you can see arround has big scratches and bumps, even the new ones ... :para:

Take a plane, the metro or the TGV if you have a weak heart !
No taxi, no bus and no private car ...

And yes the pictures are really nice, but they reminded me of that horror trip .. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom