• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Paris at night

Really beautiful pics. Photography is something I've just never come near being able to do well.
I run hot and cold on Paris. I've thought it was a lovely city, and I've really hated it. Of course I hated it the same way NY,NY has no appeal to me - that many people (and pigeons) is just too much for me. It's also much nicer in drier, warmer weather.
But it is definitely most beautiful at night, with an occasional stunning sunset.
Maybe it's completely different for you city dwellers, but I much prefer to spend my time in the environs moving at my own pace - and where the folks are a little friendlier.

Axel - do you ever get to the South? Provence, etc?
 
axel said:
yep - digital :(
I have to say, though, that setting up the 4x5" up there with the wind and snow would've been... acrobatic! But since I'm going back friday, I'll manage to leave a card and ask for permission to make a couple more with a little pre-paration.
Unfortunately, Cibachrome ain't with us anymore either (and no smilie'd be strong enough for what that makes me feel).

Well, it really hasn't GONE anywhere. Still coming out of the same factory. Just called Ilfochrome Classic, as Ilford bought it from them. Haven't used it since the name change, but I hear it is supposed to be exactly the same.
A world without Cibachrome, by any name, would not be worth living in.... :)
The 4X5 would have been a bigtime PITA to set up, I agree. But can you imagine how gorgeous a Cibachrome print of it would be!!!!!
Again, awesome work!
Erik
 
Parisians are bad drivers? Hell, I'd just get a '72 LTD or a '73 Caprice & get in there amongst 'em. If you tore it up, who cares, it's a '72 LTD...Big deal ! And a big Yank Tank oughta be able to hold its own amongst all the little powered roller-skates they have...
 
problem Sandy, is you won't be able to steer because of the tiny streets so the roller-skates will roll over YOU :D

mirko,
you're much too nice about french drivers - should hear what I would say about them!

bigerik,
are you sure about this? I was recently told Agfa is no more and Ilford almost went under a couple of years ago...
 
Axel- Are there still many 2CVs around? That might be a more fun car to "do" Paris in....Heheheheheh....-Sandy G.
 
very very very... few left I'm afraid.
It's a collector's car now and no collector in his or her right mind would drive either a 2CV or a Jag' mkVIII in this city - not anymore!

Driving a 2CV in my area (Montmartre) used to wind up as a jump-on-your-seat contest... inside the car :)
 
Very nice Axel, I enjoyed the photos very much. Paris is in our travel plans somewhere down the road. Photo #2 is also my favorite.

RC
 
Hey people,

for those who don´t know Axel´s photography homepage:

http://www.axeldahl.com

Take you a little time and browse through the galleries !

Axel, you are simply overmodest ! And don´t say, that these pictures were from another life !
 
Bigerik,
Thanks - I knew of it but that seemingly is "home-lab" only as this 2006 link points to: http://www.ilford.ch/marly/fr/prod/color.asp
Your link points to a 2003 PDF... I'll ask my lab this afternoon!

Mirko,
thanks too!
But yes a few of these images now seem to me as done by somebody very different than me...
I'll update the website soon as there's plenty missing.
 
sorry folks - shoot is postponed to monday night.
Which is cool for two reasons:

1) I can actually spend a little more time to post some new stuff on TVK on sunday,
2) I can actually completely recover from my present cold to catch a completely new fresh cold on monday :D
 
clear weatherlast night so the light wasn't as "misty" but you can see the Eiffel tower towering above the rest of them old and shiny buildings :)
 

Attachments

  • 0380.jpg
    0380.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 0376.jpg
    0376.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 0374.jpg
    0374.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 16
Wow, those are still right pretty Axel...Looks like Paris thankfully DOESN'T have a lot of big, ugly hi-rises...Someday, someday...-Sandy G.
 
Paris is now under extreme surveillance - nothing higher than 20 floors (IIRC) can be built in center Paris, most new buildings have to be made according to the old Bonnier law from 1892 with a certain angle for the top floors so that light still reaches the sidewalks and even 1960/70s buildings currently under renovation often see them façades redone in Haussman style (for the better or the worse) so that some homogeneity is maintained.
All we got to do now is get rid of them bloody cars :D

I'm going back tonight for a last time - rain is planned so a more diffuse light is expected.
 
Great photos! Will hope to see similar views in person in a few months. Just booked our flight to CDG, arriving on 7/12. Staying at the Hotel du Pantheon this time. Want to spend 'French Revolution Day' (Bastille Day) in Paris before heading to Lyon to 'chow down' in "la capitale de la gastronomie".
 
Great shots in a fabulous location. Isn't Paris known as the city of light?

- Pete
 
Back
Top Bottom