• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

PCB Fabricator - opinion and suggestion request

Ronito6

Super Member
Here is the second generation F-2772 phono motherboard for the Sansui X1.
index.php


Using DipTrace, I sightly modified the trace paths to accept the contemporary small signal relay Omron G5V.

Basically I'm hoping someone can suggest a PCB fabricator.

A North America based maker is first choice, but I am very open to anywhere in the world.

So if anyone has any first hand or reliable second hand experience finding and contracting a PCB maker, please suggest a PCB making firm.

This is a humble hobbyist / prototype kind of project. Only two to five boards are needed.

Hoping for two-sided PCBs, but I did also design it to work single sided by incorporating a couple jump wire points. (Initially this was conceived as a DIY PCB, but figured all that cutting and hole drilling would be safer in the hands of automated plotter. Still willing to do it...just rather not. BUT in case I had no choice but to go the DIY route, I kept the original single sided layout in the design. )

The only two possible problematic issues are ...
  1. ... more than half the pads are oval.
  2. ... many of the traces are not uniform in width.
Thanks in advance!

Ron
 
Register to hide this ad
Just to clarify, OSH Park is a batch service, combining multiple projects into a panel that is sent off to a manufacturer. I've got no association with them except as a very satisfied customer.

Be sure to see their DipTrace page to avoid some potential problems. Keep us posted on how it goes.
 
I've used OSH Park as well, their boards are very well made and their service is great.

Lee.
 
I will check out the "Top Side" view in the other thread - unless you have more to show?

(If you still have my pvt e-mail address send it there?)
 
Kewl!

"Top Side" was an early version. The exact spacing and positioning was not sused out yet. The routing is the same though. I can email you the final version tomorrow.
 
Hey Ronito,

Did you design that replacement board for this amp? I've been trying to get a parts Kenwood KA-8300 to work out a design to replace the TA-100 output modules. So far, just the noise of crickets. Rather than make a board to replace just the TA-100s, I wanted to design a board using the circuitry of a KA-7100 and see how it runs with the supply voltage ramped up a bit.

I might have to get you to do some design work for me... :naughty:
 
One beast at a time please.

Here is how this new board came to life.

I have an AU-X1 with the second generation F-2772 phono motherboard.

An AKer with an older AU-X1 wanted to upgrade his machine by installing a second gen. motherboard to replace his first generation motherboard. The second generation F-2772 was designed by Sansui to be a much less prone to oscillation upgrade of the first version of the F-2772

So for several reasons too boring for most rational adults to bear...I took on the challenge to create a new 2772 board. But it was not from scratch. I reverse engineered everything from my board to create the new board that was tweaked to accept modern relays.

So the board I designed is 94% a copy job. My pride of authorship is minimal.

That said...I copied it pretty dang well.

If I didn't have an original version 2 board to base my design on, this would have been impossible.

I am in no way an EE guy. I'm just a hobbyist with artistic skills.
 
Last edited:
I've used pcb-pool.com (boards actually made & shipped from Ireland) and expresspcb.com (but you have to use their layout software) with good results.
 
I've used pcb-pool.com (boards actually made & shipped from Ireland) and expresspcb.com (but you have to use their layout software) with good results.

Pcb-pool sounds really good too.

Will check it out. Thanks!!
 
I've used PCB Way out of China before with good results. @dcgillespie told me the name of a fabricator he uses that (I think) is in Chicago, but I can't think of the name offhand.
 
I've used PCB Way out of China before with good results. @dcgillespie told me the name of a fabricator he uses that (I think) is in Chicago, but I can't think of the name offhand.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm originally from the "Chicagoland" area and lived Logan Square before it got gentrified.

Now you got me curious.
 
I've also used pcbway. The 2 sided PCB looked pretty good and I don't think you could beat the price. They were about 1.5" x 2.5" and were a little over a $1. It took about 3 weeks to get from China. They had a deal going on small prototype boards.
 
You have two threads on the same subject, like I said in the other post use pcbway. You will get 10 of them, could sell a few to re-coupe your costs.
 
Thanks for the tip.

I'm originally from the "Chicagoland" area and lived Logan Square before it got gentrified.

Now you got me curious.

http://www.pcbnet.com/about/imagineering

This place is in Chicagoland. They do their production offshore, but do onshore QC.

If you run some Google searches, you should find five or six onshore PCB fabricators that do small batch work. I think I'm going to look into quotes from a few of them when I need to order boards again.
 
Back
Top Bottom