• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Peerless "looking" tweeter what is it really?

Those tweeters were in a pair of "thrift store find" Sencor brand speakers tagged on the back "Made in Switzerland". I was drawn to the white bass cones and the tweeters looked like Peerless so I brought them home more or less just to see what was inside. "Made in Japan" was ink stamped on both drivers. It cost $5 to satisfy my curiosity.
 
If they were packed carelessly, or without knowledge of the fragility of the wires, they could have been damaged in transit. He should take them back, and if he doesn't, you should complain and give bad feedback. But if nothing suffices, look at the wiring from the solder joint to the surround. If there is a break, it is fairly easy to bridge the break.
 
My understanding is the Peerless version has a dimple on the dome. The copies / knockoffs don’t have the dimple.

There is a version that does have a dimple. I was told it is the best one, but who knows. Also told the factory did it with a pin.
I have some 7's with them.

peerless.jpg
 
I suspect they would be just fine. Don't know if the Peerless ever had ferrofluid or if there were modifications for specific speaker makers, but if there were any changes, they'd probably be less consequential than using a look alike from another driver manufacturer.

Hello again, Nat:

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that I don't know if they were made by Peerless (does anybody here know who made them?). I emailed Joe, from Midwest Speaker Repair, and attached both pictures. He said that they were made by Pioneer (!) and not Peerless.

"Those are the tweeters that Pioneer made for DLK, at least I've never seen them in any other speaker before. They are good tweeters and MT-4115 should sound very similar to them".

Does anybody here know of any Pioneer speakers that used this dome tweeter? I was about to buy one made by Peerless because I thought Peerless had made it, but now I don't know what to do because apparently it was made by Pioneer... And again, it was made in Taiwan!

Also, the ones Midwest Audio sells is custom made for them and designed from the original Peerless 810665 tweeter, they say, but if the DLK ones were made by Pioneer and the ones Midwest Audio recommends for the DLK are based on the Peerless (and not Pioneer) models, they probably won't sound similar, I think.
 
Last edited:
Uh-huh - because tweeters frequently destroy themselves in transit.....

Not.

If they were packed carelessly, or without knowledge of the fragility of the wires, they could have been damaged in transit. He should take them back, and if he doesn't, you should complain and give bad feedback. But if nothing suffices, look at the wiring from the solder joint to the surround. If there is a break, it is fairly easy to bridge the break.

When they arrived, the box didn't show any damage. I really doubt that both tweeters (and not one of them, or a tweeter and a woofer) have been damaged in transit. I cannot give him any feedback because they were purchased through Craiglist (first time I use Craiglist). The seller always used a Google number to call me, never replied to my texts with texts or emails, everything was done by phone calls (using a Google number) and he said he doesn't have a bank account either. He had to go cash the money order either at Kroger or USPS. Huge mistake on my part, I know. I have his name and address, though.

The tweeters were blown up I think, because I checked them with a multimeter and while the woofers show that they work, the tweeters don't. The tweeters show 0 resistance.

Would you guys order a pair of these tweeters from Midwest Audio or Peerless from here? As I mentioned before, a employee from Midwest Audio told me the DLK dome tweeters were made by Pioneer and not by Peerless... I have not seen them in any Pioneer speaker yet, though. The ones Midwest Audio sells are based on the Peerless and not the Pioneer model. I have no clue about how to proceed and how to get the best replacement possible. I wanted these speakers to be with me forever.

Thank you for your help. I am totally disappointed and sad about this whole thing.
 
Last edited:
There is a version that does have a dimple. I was told it is the best one, but who knows. Also told the factory did it with a pin.
I have some 7's with them.

View attachment 1271726

Yes, I would just add that there are real Peerless dome tweeters that don't have the dimple. For example, here. I am attaching the picture for future references, when the listing ends and is deleted.
 

Attachments

  • s-l1600 pic 2.jpg
    s-l1600 pic 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 25
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I've never seen the dimple on any Peerless I've seen, an that's a fair number, and I don't remember any comment on it, or sign of it in the pictures in the Peerless catalogue. But in the catalogue, it was called an 'evergreen' in recognition of it's long production, so there may have been minor changes over time.
Having said that, I'm not convinced that a single off center pin prick would have much effect on a damped dome, given that many (many, many) people have used caved in domes without noticing any difference. If catastrophic damage isn't audible to a lot of people (cloth ears as they may be), how audible can a pin prick be, even to golden ears (and I'm not interested in whether someone says they can hear the results when they know the pin prick is there, though if the results can be measured, or identified reliably without knowing, then I'm on board).
 
Hi,maybe "Visaton" copy of peerless,they sell copy like this here in Québec even the one with screws in center no diagonal.
 
Back
Top Bottom