• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pentagram speakers - What have I got here?

Hey all:

Hoping somebody can give me some info. This morning on my way to work I responded to a CL "free" ad for a pair of "big, black, heavy 5-sided speakers on wheels". Thinking they just might be Khorns or something cool like that, I went. What I found are a pair of Pentagon speakers - the only identifying mark I could find so far is "Pentagram Speaker Corp" or something along those lines on ta paper label on the bottom. They're 3-way, black veneer over 1" MDF, very heavy internal wiring, pentagonal shape tapering up towars the top. About 3 1/2' to 4' high (sorry to be vague, they're in my car right now and I'm at work; I'll post pics later). These have not been treated well. A cat or seven went at the grille covers, the veneer has been rubbed thin in placesd, and the owner proudly showed me the woofers he refoamed himself - with foam rubber and white caulk, lots of it. The woofers might well need to be reconed or replaced. They have what appears to be a dome midrange and a ribbon tweeter. They are on casters, thank god, otherwise I might not have been able to get them to my car as they weigh probably 75 pounds apiece.

The bottoms of the speakers are open and there is no internal damping in place, don't know if that's intentional or if a bottom plate or something has been removed over the years.

Anybody know anything about these beasts? They look like they could be cool with some effort on my part. Thanks!


I joined this site just to respond to your query. In shouts of what others may have said here, t these are awesome speakers. Well, they were when I first heard them. I used to know the gent who built these in Queens, Ny. The five sided design was created to alleviate standing waves. No two sides were parallel. I remember listening to a recording of an orchestra and the special dimension was astounding. If you closed your eyes you could picture exactly where the instrument was placed in the room.
Just for reference, I spent my career in music television so I know a bit about sound. i would love to have some of these Pentagrams again.
 
I joined this site just to respond to your query. In shouts of what others may have said here, t these are awesome speakers. Well, they were when I first heard them. I used to know the gent who built these in Queens, Ny. The five sided design was created to alleviate standing waves. No two sides were parallel. I remember listening to a recording of an orchestra and the special dimension was astounding. If you closed your eyes you could picture exactly where the instrument was placed in the room.
Just for reference, I spent my career in music television so I know a bit about sound. i would love to have some of these Pentagrams again.
Ah, yes, Weedhopper.

Some time student become teacher.

Welcome, to AK.
 
Wow! I was surprised and delighted to see this thread get revived. Long story short, after a final confrontation with our crazy landlords we decided to move, and in doing so I had to let go of my garage and my ability to work on big projects. I wound up giving the Pentagrams away to a fellow audio enthusiast who knew the speakers and was eager to bring them back to life. So they found a good home. Cheers everyone.
 
Pentagram Alpha Speakers.jpg Hi All,

I know this thread is old but I only just saw this recently. I have a different model of Pentagon Speakers which I picked up at a local thrift store for little money. In any case they are called Pentagon Alpha speakers. I assume it's the same company. However this is a German company and the speakers were made in the mid to late 90's. They originally sold for $5000 according to my internet search. There is very little about the company or the speakers on line. I will say this the cabinets are pentagrons without a single parallel side to them. The stands are part of the speaker. This pair was pretty beat up but I fixed them up best I could. The crossovers use high quality audiophile caps. Here is a picture. I own several very high end speakers. These speakers hold their own against them. However as expected bass is limited.

Sorry I just realized the speakers above are not Pentagrams but Pentagons. Same shape but different company.

Hope this helps in some way.
Goodrat
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom