• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pete townshend & Ronnie lane~Rough mix

An album that deserves to be listened to in it's entirety. Been listening to it for nearly 30 years. It has held up very well.
 
I still have the copy I bought when it came out. I recently read a biography of Steve Marriott and apparently Lane did this LP to complete a record contract --not quite the usual throaway. Lane was also a great songwriter with the Small Faces, though Marriott gets most of the credit.
 
I still have the copy I bought when it came out. I recently read a biography of Steve Marriott and apparently Lane did this LP to complete a record contract --not quite the usual throaway. Lane was also a great songwriter with the Small Faces, though Marriott gets most of the credit.
If anyone can find the lyrics of Catmelody, they are awesome.

Found:

"Catmelody"

I'm on my own, I'm all alone
I sowed those seeds and now
My heart is home
And I guess this party's over 'cause I'm on my own
My friends, they've said so long
My days were full, my skies were blue
Then I got wise and I acted like a fool
And now my night's the morning after feelin' like a fool
I'm feeling black and blue

Well all them back street women, wooh
All that homemade liquor has left me here
Well just like some old bottle the tide has left washed up beneath the pier
There's a message in here somewhere

This story's old, this heart is cold
This old street corner has heard it all before
But if I can bum just one more run
I'll say so long, ya hear, I'm going home

Well last night the joint was jumping, yeah
With all those smartass gamblers and my booze
They must have seen me coming 'cause these cradle marks are pretty hard to lose
I bet years from now

This story is old, this heart is cold
Well this old trash can has seen it all before
But if I can bum just one more run
I'll say so long, I'm going home
I'll say so long from here, I'm going home
I'll say so long, I guess I'm on my own
I'll say so long, this one's down the road
 
I've been a huge fan (still am) of the Who but I probably play Rough MIx more often than any Who album. At one time I had two used vinyl copies. Very sad about Ronnie Lane's battle with MS.

Tip: If you like Lane's tracks on this album, try his 1974 solo album Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance. It's been re-issued on vinyl and worthy of it's relatively higher price, especially since the chances of finding an original pressing of Slim Chance in decent condition is very tough.
 
I used to play it constantly. Picked it up again lately, and bought the CD so I could have it in the car. My favorite track has always been "Misunderstood."
 
Well the reason why I asked which pressing one would recommend today is because my dog-eared GW special doesn't sound as good YouTube version mhardy6647 offered above. So much for polite questions. I'd get lots responses if I started trolling. I guess I'll download the YouTube and call it a day.
 
Well the reason why I asked which pressing one would recommend today is because my dog-eared GW special doesn't sound as good YouTube version mhardy6647 offered above. So much for polite questions. I'd get lots responses if I started trolling. I guess I'll download the YouTube and call it a day.
What mrh posted wasn't Rough Mix. It was outtakes from the same recording sessions.
 
Thanks for the info. Mine was from Polydor's 'Special Price Series' and apparently not the best of pressings.I bought it used years ago. I'm not too familiar with Classic records. Is it a UK or stateside firm?
 
Thanks for the info. Mine was from Polydor's 'Special Price Series' and apparently not the best of pressings.I bought it used years ago. I'm not too familiar with Classic records. Is it a UK or stateside firm?
Classic Records is a long defunct US remastering/repressing company renowned for excellent records. The Classic Rough Mix would be the best pressing available.
 
Thanks guys! Just got the UMC remastered CD from a UK shop - very nice so far.
 
Back
Top Bottom