• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
I had both the 800 and a 5000X. Both sounded great. Agree the 800 has a sound well beyond what you'd expect. The reason I sold that one, it could not really be played at low volume. The volume pot on many of these does not go to "zero sound" at the bottom setting. Don't know if they came from the factory that way, or if the pots were prone to deterioration over time, but the one I had did not completely cut the volume. (Some have reported the same issue with AU-777 volume pots, though mine does not have this issue.) Also, the 800 gets loud fast (no muting switch to help attenuate), and I generally don't play music in spaces were LOUD works. So, I moved that one along after using it in the garage for a while.

The 5000X I had no complaints about. Great, full sound, good tuner, etc., though definitely "warmer" than all my other Sansui gear. I had kind of "maxed out" my space for collecting amps/receivers, so something had to go when a new one came in. In the end I favored the "single digit" receivers I have over the 5000X.
 
I had both the 800 and a 5000X. Both sounded great. Agree the 800 has a sound well beyond what you'd expect. The reason I sold that one, it could not really be played at low volume. The volume pot on many of these does not go to "zero sound" at the bottom setting. Don't know if they came from the factory that way, or if the pots were prone to deterioration over time, but the one I had did not completely cut the volume. (Some have reported the same issue with AU-777 volume pots, though mine does not have this issue.) Also, the 800 gets loud fast (no muting switch to help attenuate), and I generally don't play music in spaces were LOUD works. So, I moved that one along after using it in the garage for a while.

The 5000X I had no complaints about. Great, full sound, good tuner, etc., though definitely "warmer" than all my other Sansui gear. I had kind of "maxed out" my space for collecting amps/receivers, so something had to go when a new one came in. In the end I favored the "single digit" receivers I have over the 5000X.
Coming into the 5000A has, of course, led to my discovery/awareness of the single digits as well and my eyes are wide open.
 
My 800 arrived today. I zipped home quickly to bring it in from the front stoop lest the neighborhood riff raff take an interest. Did a quick tear down to have a look. Face plate and controls are grimy, but should clean up fine. No major scratches, scuffs, stains, dings, or dents anywhere really. Took the covers off. Interestingly, all of the screws were loose, not even finger tight. Seller must've taken a look at all the dust inside and decided to part it out on the spot without even bothering to tighten down the covers. Very dusty inside. Looking forward to a canned air, brush, and vac session this evening. Otherwise everything seems to be original, in tact, no obvious or major signs of damage anywhere. Everything looks fairly accessible too. The pots are easily accessed from the bottom side for treatment. The light bulbs are easy to get to and I have replacement LEDs on the way. Though I'd put fresh fuses in the back panel as well, they look old. Excited for this little unit. If I can get it going good I intend for it to be my official shop/garage unit. Oh, and the logo on the face plate is indeed etched which is very cool.
800-1 Face.jpg800-2 Etched Logo.jpg800-3 Vert Face.jpg800-4 Inside Dust.jpg800-5 Driver Boards.jpg800-6 Dusty TXR.jpg800-7 Underside.jpg
 
Two Sansui receiver day for me. The 800 cleaned up really well and the 690 is mint. The 800 was dinner with my girlfriend and I paid top dollar for the 690, but it comes with a well documented service history and one year warranty. I haven't listened to either yet. We shall see.
1000001814.jpg1000001808.jpg1000001804.jpg
 
Gotta love that 690. Have one here I really need to let go (am into way too much gear sitting, yet again), but haven't yet. Yours looks great in the pic, anyway. The 800 looks to be coming along nicely. I still kick myself for parting a pretty nice one about 15 years ago. But back then, virtually nobody wanted them (everyone was lusting after 9090DB’s and G-9000's back then), and I saved numerous other recievers and amps with parts scavenged from that unit, so guess I can't really feel too badly about it
 
It's everything it was represented to be and nicer than I expected. It's a weird mix of wood veneer case and plastic dial plate. Nonetheless, it looks great and seems a typical Sansui tank for its class as you would expect. The build quality, fit and finish are there despite a few seemingly cost cutting material choices. That being said, I haven't looked under the hood or hooked it up yet. I was into the 800 tonight.
 
Okay so I built my DBT and can now proceed with some sense of safety. HD didn't have anything under a 200w bulb. Thus, the 55w 5000A didn't get a reaction from the bulb. Of course, I thought I screwed something up. I threw the D9 on it, which I know is okay, and it worked perfectly. I can not wait to fire this 800. It looks really nice and it's as clean as it's been in 55 years. You can get right at the pots from the underside. They are sparkling. Waiting on LEDs before I button it up to see what happens.
1000001821.jpg
1000001825.jpg1000001824.jpg
 
A 200w bulb in a DBT does not limit current enough. With incandescent bulbs, the higher the wattage the lower the resistance. 100w is minimal for general protection but use 60w for a unit with no history.

- Pete
 
A 200w bulb in a DBT does not limit current enough. With incandescent bulbs, the higher the wattage the lower the resistance. 100w is minimal for general protection but use 60w for a unit with no history.

- Pete
Okay, understood. Thank you, @LBPete. I've since gathered a variety of lower wattage incandescent bulbs including 25w, 40w, and 60w. I was under the impression that the wattage of the bulb was supposed to approximate to the wattage of the amp being tested. Is that wrong, misguided? I feel like I picked that up around here or on YouTube. If the 800 I want to power up for the first time later is ~22w, should I use the 25w bulb, or one of the others?

I'm handy enough with tools, mechanical assembly, tinker toys, and cleaning, but I really don't understand electricity and all the values and measurements. I'm going to need a course in using my multimeter - that thing may as well be a baked potato for all I know what to do with it.
 
Making big loud powerful music with the 800! Decent FM signal from the only station I'd listen to and great sound from my phone through the AUX input. Control knobs are smooth and quiet. I need to go back in and get after the switches. I realize I skipped them and there are definitely some crunchy crackles in there that need attention. $100 and some elbow grease and this little tank sounds great. Running it through a pair of PSB 40 MKIIs I thrifted for $37 a couple months ago. Absolutely stoked. I appreciate everyone's comments, tips, and advice. You're a good bunch!
1000001835.jpg
 
FYI, there is also a (green) light above the tuning meter that indicates when power is on. Looks like yours is out.

Is the red stereo light out also?
 
FYI, there is also a (green) light above the tuning meter that indicates when power is on. Looks like yours is out.

Is the red stereo light out also?
Okay, yes. There is a bulb in that location under a shroud that I didn't mess with. I also see the red stereo light in pictures on the web. I missed that. I'll revisit. I changed the four bulbs behind the dial. The tuning meter bulb is still original and working. I didn't change that one because it's hard to get to from the top side. I think the faceplate probably has to come off. Thanks.
 
Okay, understood. Thank you, @LBPete. I've since gathered a variety of lower wattage incandescent bulbs including 25w, 40w, and 60w. I was under the impression that the wattage of the bulb was supposed to approximate to the wattage of the amp being tested. Is that wrong, misguided? I feel like I picked that up around here or on YouTube. If the 800 I want to power up for the first time later is ~22w, should I use the 25w bulb, or one of the others?

I'm handy enough with tools, mechanical assembly, tinker toys, and cleaning, but I really don't understand electricity and all the values and measurements. I'm going to need a course in using my multimeter - that thing may as well be a baked potato for all I know what to do with it.
There is no connection between the wattage of the unit and the wattage of the bulb. A 100w and a 60w bulb will handle almost any situation. If you go lower than 60w it may drop the voltage to the point that the protection circuit will stay engaged and not turn on the speaker relay. Use a 60w bulb if you are powering up something for the first time. Use the 100w bulb to give a level of protection while working on a unit.

- Pete
 
There is no connection between the wattage of the unit and the wattage of the bulb. A 100w and a 60w bulb will handle almost any situation. If you go lower than 60w it may drop the voltage to the point that the protection circuit will stay engaged and not turn on the speaker relay. Use a 60w bulb if you are powering up something for the first time. Use the 100w bulb to give a level of protection while working on a unit.

- Pete
Okay, got it. Thanks!
 
FYI, there is also a (green) light above the tuning meter that indicates when power is on. Looks like yours is out.

Is the red stereo light out also?
Got the power lamp replaced. The red stereo lamp, however, is sequestered in its own tiny metal box and I can't figure out how to get to it short of a tear down that I don't have in me right now. It also appears that it's a smaller lamp, maybe, given the size of its little metal box? Original meter lamp is still in tact and working too. That one also seems very tricky to get to. Shop Rig 800 is looking good, otherwise!

Shop Rig 800.jpg
 
The 690 is going back. The signal and tuning meters aren't working and the tuning knob is very wobbly and clunky with significant vertical and horizontal play. I couldn't lock in a station. A receiver that doesn't receive. Came with a one year warranty and seller offers 30-day returns in any event. I paid top dollar for this one and am not interested in a repair or project straight out of the box. As you likely already know, I think after doing whatever service work and testing they're going to do, many sellers wrap and pack these units for shipping and they're stored until sold. Then the unit is shipped without any pre-shipment inspection and something has fallen out of whack in the interim. It's certainly nice looking, but the situation didn't sit right with me. Anyway, that will return some money to the appropriations budget and I'm having a hard time ignoring the lively conversations over in the AU-alpha threads!

690.jpg690 Meters.jpg690 Return.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom