• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phase Linear 200 power amp?

I have had one since the late 70s and still do, although there is a problem with it. I had it fixed in the mid 80s for the erratic 'thumping' I got and then the same thing returned a few short years later. I never taxed it too highly as I lived in an apartment in NYC and I had neighbors. I still have the schematics and everything else that I received when I purchased it - $600.

Do you have a 200 or something else?
 
PHASE LINEAR 200 SERIES TWO
POWER OUTPUT:
120 WATTS MINIMUM POWER RMS INTO 8 OHMS FROM 20 Hz TO 20,000 Hz WITH NO MORE THAN .09% TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION.

CONTINUOUS POWER:
150 watts per channel 8 Ohms at 1000 Hz
190 watts per channel 4 Ohms at 1000 Hz

TYPICAL TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION
.009% at rated power into 8 Ohms at 1 kHz
.009% at rated power into 4 Ohms at 1 kHz

INTERMODULATION DISTORION (60 Hz: 7kHZ = 4:1)
less than .09% at rated power into 8 Ohms
less than .09% at rated power into 4 Ohms

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
12 Hz to 40 kHz +0-1dB

SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO: 110 Db (IHF A WEIGHTED)

RESIDUAL NOISE: 120 uV (IHF A WEIGHTED)

DAMPING FACTOR 1000:1 @1000Hz

INPUT IMPEDANCE: 32 K Ohm minimum

INPUT SENSITIVITY: 1.5 VOLTS R.M.S. FOR 120 WATTS AT 8 oHMS.

SPEAKER IMPEDANCE: ACCEPT 4 OHMS TO 16 OHMS

SLEW RATE: BETTER THAN 15V/uS

RISE TIME: (Small Signal) Less than 4.0 uS.

PHASE SHIFT:
0 degrees at 20 Hz
-18 degrees at 20kHz
 
I have used and worked on many Phase Linear power amps. The one thing they have in common is that if they are run into a load of much less than 8 ohms you are asking for trouble. They were not the most stable things in the industry. The old sort of dig used to be referring to the PL protection circuitry as consisting of smoke and flames.

Please know I am not trying to roll a hand grenade into the room. This is just what I have found over the years. I have had many friends that used the with not very efficient speakers that required the amps to work hard and the amps did not like it and gave up in dramatic fashion periodically.

If you are using this power amp into a relatively efficient speaker that has a reasonable impedance curve and you are not going to place heavy demands on it, it should work fine.
 
Used to have one. Had trouble with the kick on relay. There were vent slots above the open points, which allowed dust to settle in between. Put tape over those slots, got a new relay from the guys in Washington, installed it, worked OK. Sounded good when it worked.
 
Yes, run it only into benign speaker loads. There is no output protection on a Phase Linear. If they fail, they will emit DC into your speakers' voice coils. 8 ohm loads only please. Commonly known as Flame Linear.
 
Funny....I've had two PL 700s.....one had a barely noticeable buzz in the right channel when I bought it. Sold it, and have since bought another one....had it for years...this one never broke a sweat no matter what I put on it. However, now I am usually just running a pair of Corner Horns, so it probably doesn't even know there are speakers hooked up when it's in the system. :thmbsp:
 
I know this is a very old post but what the heck thought I'd jump in just In case any one wants my 2cents I picked up one from a friend never cared much for it not sure why it sounds clean haven't got it to clip yet and I've pushed it pritty hard with 20 ft of speaker wire , it will get hot well fire cracker hot but ran a fan over it works like a charm . I'd also say 120 watt is the high end of rating unfortunately the sound seems pretty empty to me it's lacks depth and headroom but for most applications I think it works pretty well very reliable no issues with mine at all and I've had it for 10 years off and on in the rotation if you get a chance to buy one for a fair price and you don't want to worry about being temperamental then this is a good amp for you straight forward plug & play. One more note hope you have more than one preamp there is a vary noticeable difference in sound to me it sounds best with a tube preamp I've been using it with a little Sony sta3 seems to sound the best anyhow I hope this was helpful for somebody
 
Back
Top Bottom