• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phase Linear (Andromeda) Phase III speakers -familiar with these?

Congrats on your new acquisition Ken. I think you will find yourself listening to this system a lot. It really does grow on you due to the overall natural sound it is capable of along with the impressive sound stage you can create with it, etc. Hope you can locate another tweeter to replace that broken one. There are a few other used sets floating around out there but unless they are in your area, it becomes a shipping problem with them due to their size, weight and fragility, etc. I am trying to get my hands on a used system currently and if I do I plan on using it as a spare system in case I lose any tweeter or mids, etc, in mine. If I can get hold of it, I will let you know and will give you a good deal on a couple of tweeters if you haven't found one by then. Take care, enjoy them and be glad you have them. Not bad for being over 30 years old huh?

Regards............Terry

Stunning sound, I will try and fix the tweeter tonight. I might do what was mentioned before by someone here, try and get another pair and use an extra bass module and motion controller, if it don't work well I will still enjoy having an extra set. I can't wait to get them in my other house as it has much larger rooms and 11 foot high ceilings which I think will make them sound even better. I really don't know if it will matter other than I prefer the orginal to drop in any good quality hi frequency driver as the tweeter here is just for a line of sight projector of hi's. In fact a nice horn tweeter might be great little project to try out just for fun.
 
Hey Ken - That may have been me regarding using a second bass module as I mentioned doing just that in either this thread or another one in the "Speakers" forum. Anyway, this system will benefit from being in a larger room. It will tend to overpower a small room but in a big one you can literally create a huge soundstage by tweaking the motion control module and playing with placement, etc. I sure hope I can pick up this used system, I'm working on it now. I am really wanting to see how two bass modules would work together and what the "bottom line" will be. As mentioned before, ENJOY!!!

Regards, Terry
 
Congratulations on your Andromedas. :music::music::music:

Sorry to hear about the shipping damage - I have to say that I'm not surprised as these panels are VERY fragile as TSOQ mentions, but it sounds like they got to you in decent shape overall.

I can tell right now I am going to love these. I will post some pics soon as soon as I can straighten out the mess so I won't be to embrassed. I thank all of you for your advice and honest opinions on these. I really didn't expect them to come near my big Infinity's to be honest, I was wrong, these might become my favorites.

:yes: It's a warm natural sound / concert realism isn't it? I think they will grow on you, as TSOQ says, and will benefit from that larger room with high ceilings (and as many WPCs as you can give them).

I love mine, and although they were relegated to secondary status and out of the main room by the spot-on precision of the JBL 4430 Studio Monitors, they are not forgotten.

On the damaged high frequency driver - I wonder if you might get some advice from AK member Ommp. He had the uber-cool experience of working with Bob Carver to install some CRM ribbon tweeters into a pair of his Andromedas - he mentions it in the other PL Andromeda thread in the Speakers forum: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278681

Edit: I see that Ommp visited this thread as well and talks about the replacement forward-firing tweeter in post #20 above.

Good luck, keep us posted, looking forward to a picture!~
 
Last edited:
Oh so sorry yes it was you Terry regarding adding an additional bass unit. As far as power, I have to say these seem more efficent than my Infinity's yet the manaul claims only 80 db at 1 watt/1 meter which is less than my Infinity's. One thing I am not to sure of is the stablity of the panels with those small metal feet, I wouldn't trust them in deep carpet, and they sure don't give you a feeling of confidence, I might work on making a better device for the panels. I have hard tile in this house but my other house has hard wood floors. I am not sure if mine are right, are the panels suppose to tilt back slightly, or should they be straight up? Mine tilt back a few degrees.

Left panel with grills off!

KENNYSPICS963-1.jpg


Right panels with grills off.

KENNYSPICS962-1.jpg


Left Panel close up!

KENNYSPICS965.jpg


Right channel close up!

KENNYSPICS964.jpg


I have the wood covers for the feet as well as all the grills in very clean condition even have the little metal plates that say Phase Linear. I just got my Service Manual in the mail today so I have everything regarding any service specs. Overall I think who ever owned these took pretty good care of them, other than they need a little dusting and some funiture polish on the wood trim.
 
Hey Ken, and all you guys,:wave:
I have a spare soft dome tweet for you if you wish. I can also give you a copy of the schematic that Bob made me if you want to put in some of his CRM ribbons in place of the soft domes. He put an Lpad in the additional crossover for the ribbon so that you can dial in the amount of tweet you want.( Cool Huh). They sound a bit brighter than the original soft domes but in a large room with high ceilings they should sound great and really let those speakers sing. I also notice that with the ribbons the super high freqs. seem a bit more 'directional' and have a narrower vertical 'sweet spot', which I find to not sound as good in a small room. With the speakers tilted back as they are I find myself standing about 7-9 feet away to get the full benefit of the sweet spot. But, the ribbons are a bit more articulate and the sounds of a brush on the snare drum head or a nylon tip on a ride are right there.:yes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-9783198-47.html

It's your choice. :scratch2::scratch2: It is kinda nice to have a pair that are unmolested and as Bob intended them to sound though.
Your panels look really good. The plastic cones look to be in good shape as well as the side rails and surrounds on the 4" drivers. All the pairs that I have seen do tilt back a bit and are stable on hard surfaces. Even with those small feet.(unless they have been bent back and forth and no longer hold their shape).
I don't need to tell you that you scored my friend.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
And have many more years of enjoyment to come.
PM me if you want to pick up that spare soft dome.
(no afil)
 
Thanks very much, but I think I have my hands on a replacement will know in a day or two. That Carver Ribbon is basically the what looks like a Infinity EMIT, which is what I thought about trying out. It appears that Carver uses a metal foil where Infinity used a piece of Kapton plastic with a foil etched voice coil, but Infinity did use a much better magnet for the motor, I think that is why they stopped producing their drivers as their supply of magnets got to hard to find and to expensive.
 
Ken - Those panels look to be in pretty good overall shape other than that damaged tweeter you mentioned. You have the newer model with the forward facing lower tweeter. My set has the upward firing tweeter there with the diffuser cone as the other four are. I purposely faced my lower middle tweeter forward also several years ago and to my ears I preferred one tweeter firing forward. Guess that's probably why Bob did some changing around on them with his second edition. I may take the ribbon tweeter route someday and replace the forward firing one with one and see how it sounds. Kinda hate to mess with them tho as they are outstanding already and I believe in the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". Time will tell where I go from here but right now all I do want to get my hands on that second bass module and give that go. I just finished playing the Titanic CD, the track with Celine Dion siging the title song. Those low notes really do come thru deep and very distinct once again so I am now going thru all my CDs trying to find a few others I remember as having some really deep bass. I feel like a kid with a new toy the day after Christmas, just can't put it away........................

Regards.............Terry
 
I prefer Sarah Brightmans version over Celine Dions, I think its on Sarah Brightman's Eden CD, and also her video concert titled Eden. I recently went to her Sympony tour concert, it was outstanding. One of my favorite artist is a Japanese violinist, Ikuko Kawai, it is an import so its very hard to get anywhere except tru Amazon shipping out of Japan. She is great much better in my opinion than Vanessa Mae. Got my eyes on a pair of tweeters now for my panels, will let you know if I get them. I have a few pairs of EMIT's which are basically the same as Carvers ribbons. I wonder how much Carver charges for just a ribbon driver, I see those little speakers are not cheap at 800 dollars a piece, I only paid 400 for my complete Phase Linear III system. It cost me 200 dollars to get them shipped from Cinninattii to Florida. I use Uship.com its great for getting good rates on shipping. I use to love eBay Live auctions to buy antiques and used some special antique blanket wrap shippers and they were very expensive compared to Uship.com. I wish I knew about Uship.com when I was doing the Live auctions.
 
Hey Ken, and all you guys,:wave:
I have a spare soft dome tweet for you if you wish. I can also give you a copy of the schematic that Bob made me if you want to put in some of his CRM ribbons in place of the soft domes. He put an Lpad in the additional crossover for the ribbon so that you can dial in the amount of tweet you want.( Cool Huh). They sound a bit brighter than the original soft domes but in a large room with high ceilings they should sound great and really let those speakers sing. I also notice that with the ribbons the super high freqs. seem a bit more 'directional' and have a narrower vertical 'sweet spot', which I find to not sound as good in a small room. With the speakers tilted back as they are I find myself standing about 7-9 feet away to get the full benefit of the sweet spot. But, the ribbons are a bit more articulate and the sounds of a brush on the snare drum head or a nylon tip on a ride are right there.:yes:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-9783198-47.html

It's your choice. :scratch2::scratch2: It is kinda nice to have a pair that are unmolested and as Bob intended them to sound though.
Your panels look really good. The plastic cones look to be in good shape as well as the side rails and surrounds on the 4" drivers. All the pairs that I have seen do tilt back a bit and are stable on hard surfaces. Even with those small feet.(unless they have been bent back and forth and no longer hold their shape).
I don't need to tell you that you scored my friend.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
And have many more years of enjoyment to come.
PM me if you want to pick up that spare soft dome.
(no afil)


Thanks very much for the offer on that spare hi dome, I will let you know if I need it in the future. I pulled of the face plate and diaphram and found the break in the voice coil wire should not be a problem for me.
 
I have never heard the Sarah Brightman version of the Titanic song. I like her voice a lot. Will have to find that CD and give it a listen. I plan on calling Rita's in WA today and finding out what it would cost to send my PL-4000 to them for repair. I want to get it running again and start using it in a second system I want to put together for old time sake. Wish now I had never sold that SAE MKV1 tuner but the money was just too good to turn down at the time. Anyway, as mentioned prior my next goal is to try and get my hands on that used PLAIII system and get that bass module into my existing system to see how it sounds, etc. I know I will have to have it re-coned first but at least I now have a local guy that can do the job correctly. Continued good listening to all..............

Terry
 
I am keeping my sub unit on its side when not in use, I figure that might keep it from getting the sags as fast. I called Rita's a few days ago to see about repairing a PL 700 II that I have already diagnosed as having some bad output transistors, see said she had about a 50% sucess rate on repairing them and mimium cost for labor was 100 dollars and maximum of 350. Consider the weight and the cost of shipping both ways from Florida to Oregon I deceided to pass on sending it to her considering the cost just in shipping and the cost of her mimium cost. I have the service manual and their is a seller on eBay that sells a transistor kit just for the 700 I think I will take the gamble and order that and play electronic tech and try it myself. For the cost of her repairs and shipping both ways and taking a chance on damage I would rather just purchase another one. If I am unsucessful in repairing this one at least I have lots of spares. I am leaning towards the
700b anyway with the analog meters. Something about analog meters that I like better than the LED's anyway I have a large rack full of SAE and they are full of the LED's. I have tried a number of times to get some good deals on the 2500 and 2600 SAE amps with the orange analog meters and always get outbid.

One a side note I really enjoy Sarah Brightman she is great, my recommended pics are, "Harem", "Eden" "Luna Luna" and "Dive". Her new CD is also very good "Symphony", I have every CD of hers but those are my recommends.

Well, I better get going, I had a major crash on my main PC and am forced to use my Laptop and I am not very good with these Laptops.
 
To all who are following this thread and know about this system -

In your opinion, what do you feel a fair price would be for a complete system including the motion control module, all in good working order and not banged up or trashed, etc. I was just curious as most of you are by now aware, I am trying to pick up a used system that is supposedly in good shape but the owner hasn't been able to get it to work. I want very much to get this one but don't want to pay too much or to get it home and then find out several drivers are gone or a crossover has stopped working, etc. I saw a complete system on an auction site several months back that appeared to be in super condition from the picture shown, but it was stated that it had not been played in years and nobody was able to get it working so it was "buy as is". The expected final bid was supposedly going to be between $800 and $1,000. I did a quick calculation of what $1.349 in 1977 dollars would be today and it came out to $4,792 in 2008 dollars, the latest year for calculation on this particular site.....

So what do you guys and gals feel about a fair market price...........???

Regards to all............Terry
 
I paid 400 for my pair, and their was a pair just a week ago in CA, on Audioaysulm which were for sale for 350 obo. I also saw a pair of them from a guy in LA and he has a reputation for being high and he was asking 800 for his pair. But I have seen other pairs for as high as 1200. I do not pay to high a price for anything because for one thing I have no less than 10 pairs of monster systems, and the last thing I really need is another pair of speakers. But when they come which is quite ofter (not Phase Linear III's) speakers that is and they are very reasonable I have a hard time resisting them. I am at a point I roatate them around into my listening area just so I can enjoy them. I have two pairs of Yamaha NS 1000m's that are basically in a room that I have made into storage just because I have so many other sets of big Infinitlys that I like better. Not to mention a few pairs of NS500m's. What I really am on the look out for a pair of hi power tube amps, at a reasonable price, if that is possible. I really am shooting myself in the foot for not picking up a pair of big Conrad Johnson tube amps for a few thousand dollars. I also have seen several pairs of the Carver Amazing speaker systems go rather inexpensively one very clean pair for 650, almost purchased them but where would they go? But I do think that a good pair of Phase Linear III's are a great bargin considering how well they sound, and considering how few I see for sale. If I wanted a pair of good speakers and didn't have a bunch of pairs I would not mind paying 1000 for a pair in good shape, I think they are more than worth that price.
 
Thanks for the input Ken. Basically my feelings go this way also. At one time I was contemplating shelling out some big money for the top of the line Martin Logans along with the Descent i subwoofer but after adding it all up decided against spending that much for a system that really didn't outperform what I had by all that much if any when you got right down to some good listening time with them. Great system to be sure but also some pretty good coin just to have an up to date speaker system sitting there looking at you, etc. I am going to remain positive that I will eventually run across another PLAIII system in good condition and be able to buy it at a reasonable price. I've seen the few systems I have run across in past years running the gamut from $300 to around $1,200 as you mentioned but to me it's much akin to buying a collector automobile. You pay big bucks for the ones in top shape and can buy one that is in need of expensive repairs for very little sometimes. Right now I am so pleased with how mine is sounding again with the newly re-coned bass module I am not getting enough "lightleak checks" of my eyelids due to spending so much time enjoying my CD collection all over again..............

Regards..............Terry
 
I am sure a great deal will come your way its just a matter of time. The problem lies in to many great deals come by and I sometimes need a little restraint. By the way I just puchased a pair of those soft dome tweeters for the PL III's. They were on the ebay auction a couple of people bidding and a few tried to swipe it at the last second but I got a pair fo 52 dollars, so now I have one for my panel and a spare.
 
I am sure a great deal will come your way its just a matter of time. The problem lies in to many great deals come by and I sometimes need a little restraint. By the way I just puchased a pair of those soft dome tweeters for the PL III's. They were on the ebay auction a couple of people bidding and a few tried to swipe it at the last second but I got a pair fo 52 dollars, so now I have one for my panel and a spare.

Great snag on those two soft domes. I called Ritas the other day and talked with her about sending my PL-4000 up for a bench check and repairs and she basically gave me the same costs she did you. A PL-4000 doesn't weight that much and I live in No. Calif. so shipping won't break the piggy bank if I do send it to her. I would like to get it working again if she can fix it for a reasonable amount. Anyway, that's not my main priority right, obtaining that second system is, and that is where I'm concentrating my efforts at this time. BTW, if you want to really feel your bass module do its thing, grab a copy of the first Big & Rich CD called "Horse of a Different Color" and give track one Rollin', a listen. I'm not big into country but this particular cut has a couple of bars that are meant to bleep out a cuss word and they do it with a huge very low bass note that should put any subwoofer into overdrive. You should be able to feel some air moving in your room on that one...........

Regards............Terry
 
I will check out that horse of a different color CD, though country is not often listened to here. I do have a copy of Tchaikovsky's 1812 with the cannon fire on it, you gotta be careful of the volume on that I think you could pop your bass cone right out of the basket if you had it to loud.
 
Good job with the tweets Ken. It's always good to have a spare laying around just in case. And, I will give "Horse" a listen.(Thanks TSOQ). I don't listen to country much but can appreciate a good song and bass/drum/banjo/horn line no matter the genre.
There is a tech that I have used in the past to 'tune up' my Carver C4000 and PL 400 amp. He is local (Portland), and does good work. His name is Roland and can be reached here.
http://carveraudiorepair.com/
(no afil)
Call them and see if they are any cheaper than Rita. They do good work.
(again, no afil)
I still think that one of the best CD's to listen to on a 'tuned in' pair of Andromedas or PL III's is Diana Kralls 'Live in Paris', or her version of "Peel Me A Grape" on the 'Love Scenes' CD. That will put a smile on your face :thmbsp:
I have also used the song " Church" by Lyle Lovett on his ' Joshua Judges Ruth' cd to 'sound in' my Andromedas and PL III's. There are not to many speakers out there that can put out that quality of sound stage on that song. And these speakers do.
 
Ken - I have a couple of versions of the 1812 Overture, my favorite is by the LA Phil recorded at Royce Hall at UCLA and accompanied by a parade of Herald Trumpets and a whole bunch of military cannons. When those puppies go off it really shakes the house.................

Ommp - Will check with Roland prior to sending my PL 4000 anywhere, thanks for the tip. Will also check out those CDs you mentioned. One more for you guys is the Nils Lofgren "ACCOUSTIC LIVE" CD. The cut "Keith Don't Go" sounds incredible when played thru the Andromedas. Excellent recording also.............

I just finished another four hour session and I have to say that after 33 years of listening to these speakers, I am still taken aback by the wonderful sound stage they are capable of conveying and the overall transparency they are so capable of producing. I have several CDs of small jazz groups, sax, piano, drums, guitar, etc., and they sound like they are right there in the room live, with space around each instrument. For their age they have got to be one of the most impressive speakers out there IMHO. Of course I am considerably biased on that account...................

Got to get some shuteye, more next time...........Terry
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am wondering about another pair of speakers Carver Amazing Plaitnums, and Carver Silver 9t amps, has anyone heard them and what is your opinions of them? I looked as some reveiws of them and they were very mixed, some loved them and others said they were terrible. They were very critical of the amps and the magazines were very critical of the speakers like they were projects of which were not finished items and not realible.
 
Back
Top Bottom