• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phase Linear (Andromeda) Phase III speakers -familiar with these?

Phase III Andromeda and Carver System

:music:My nostalgia system: Still cranking out the tunes after 32 years.

Sony C222Es SACD player, rugged, great sound. (the newest addition)
Carver TX-11a – still one of the better tuners ever made
Carver C-1 Pre-amp – just cleaned the pots and switches, otherwise working like new.
Carver M1.5t – repaired and recapped by Carver about 12 years ago.
Phase Linear Phase III speakers – everything works, amazingly.
Digital feed via iTunes and Airport Express, and Blu-ray Player. (just in case)

Repeat and corrections to a post from 2004:
I purchased the Phase Linear Phase III (Andromeda III) system in Houston, TX in 1978 after listening to all the best of the day. If I remember correctly, I wheeled and dealed and got about $300 off the $1,295 listed price at Finger’s Furniture because they were going to clear out the model. To this day, this stands as one of my best ever hi-fi purchases. I have had the speakers in five different home living rooms in two states from as small as 12x16 feet to as large as 20x30 feet.

Here are a few thoughts.
1. It takes a lot a perseverance to keep them. My wife wants them gone every time we move. She brought it up again last night when I was cleaning the POTs on the preamp.
2. They need power. I use a Carver M1.5t for nostalgia and am halfway looking into something with a little more current and quality, but still keep the Carver around. I have tried other amps (Crown DC-300a, SAE, Hafler, Dynaco) and power/current and damping factor all add up to better sound.
3. They need room and sound better with a little deadening of the side walls to stop early side reflections. Given room they present a pretty good image.
4. I have never been able to get them to image precisely like speakers such as the Audio Physic Virgo III or Aerial Acoustics 7b speakers, but the have a smooth mid-range, airy highs, deep bass, and wonderful for jazz and guitar, and they paint a really big image with a lot of depth, just not as much precision. My current set-up is sub-optimal due to limitations of our home. All in all, I have never heard anything better, many close, but different, but none better. So as you can see, I will keep them as long as I can keep my wife convinced.

I like many others in the forum, I periodically check to see if I can find a second pair for insurance and/or to build a surround theater system, better than my current system in another room. I have only found a few systems for sale during last ten years, and they were not in good shape. Mine...eat your hearts out, are in great shape, no scratches, original drives, all due to some very serious coaching of movers. No children, no smoking and vigilance against the dust and pet hair.

If you have to move them, here is my advice:
Wrap them in blankets after removing the feet. Discuss placement with the movers so the understand they can have nothing on them. Stand vertically and place where protected by other furniture. Alternatly, box like mattress with lots of padding, and pray. Anyway, if you have a pair, enjoy, if not, keep looking. If you have a pair and want them to go to a loving home, send me a message.

2010 Update:
I thought my Motion Control Module had failed. Fortunately, it was only a dirty pot and all is well. I have not experienced any need for driver repairs. I have noticed that the bass is not a tight as before and have considered getting the drivers repaired. Your experiences and recommendations in this area would be appreciated.

Other systems:
I have a Yamaha 7.2 system in the living room, a small Sony system in my office, a Teac system in the guest room, speakers on the patio and everything is interconnected to a music server using iTunes, which sounds decent and is very convenient. I still play vinyl and have a nice collection of CDs and SACDs. Like many of you I have been through 8-track, vinyl, cassettes, reel-to-reel, CDs, DVD-Audio and SACD. Now I am getting into high resolutions downloads via groups like HD-Tracks and find it a lot of fun. I still wish there was more support for SACDs. They sound competitive with the best of my D2D vinyl and are a lot more convenient. On the road, I carry an iPOD and go back and forth with Senheiser and Sony noise canceling headphones. So I guess you could say I am music enabled at all times. Currently, I have been experimenting with several pre-amps and cartridge combinations with the help of a friend to fully tweak out my vinyl playback system with plans to digitize all the old albums, especially those out of print or never released on CD. I have been using a M-Audio 1816 AD/DA that allows me to record at 192/24 or 96/24 capturing all the good stuff (and the crap) on the vinyl in full fidelity. I have tried some tools like SoundSoap with limited success trying to clean up without killing the highs.

It was nice to see all the recent comments on the Phase III. Keep them coming.
 
flashg1 -

Great post, some interesting reading and comments. I bought my Andromedas back in 1977 and have been enjoying them to this day. Will put them up against just about anything and rely on them to hold their own. With regards to your bass module and what you said about it not being as tight as before, you may want to check into having the woofers re-coned. I don't know where you live in CA but if you are anywhere near the Sacramento area, I can put you in touch with a guy that re-coned mine just a few months back. He did a fantastic job and it once again sounds like it did when it was new. The bass is once again very tight and very strong. And he doesn't charge an arm and a leg to do this either. Let me know if you would like his name...........

I think every one of us who currently owns this system would love to run across a "spare" system but they are unfortunately very hard to come across and when you do find one it is usually across country or too far away to go pick it up etc. I hate to even think about the day mine decides to crap out on me so I am in search now also................

Once again, great post, continued enjoyment of your system and glad to have you on board the forum if you happen to be a newcomer?.............

Regards, Terry
 
Hey flashg1, It's good to see another one of us out there. Welcome to AK.
Hey Terry, still no word from djv8ga. Hope he is OK...
 
Last edited:
I was out on the garage sale and thrift store warpath this morning, and ran across an orphaned Phase Linear Andromeda bass module - appeared unmolested, w/ two good looking 12" down firing woofers, good fuses, etc, and a nice $20 price.


phasesub001.jpg



I grabbed - and I have added this 2nd bass module to my Andromeda system, placed opposite the other module on the other side of the living room. I've heard good things about spreading the bass around the room with additional subwoofer units. At a minimum, I have the 2nd bass module for a backup if there are problems with the first one, since these things don't turn up everyday.

I am powering the second bass module with a 2nd amp, a Mcintosh 2205 (200 WPC). My preamp supports output to two power amps. I'm using the Crown CTS-2000 (1000 WPC) on the main Andromeda system.

The extra bass module definitely adds to the Andromeda experience. I'm listening to Dark Side of The Moon. Neither amp is breaking a sweat; thunderous room-filling sound. Really.....nice.

:music::tresbon:

From 7/11/10...
I forgot to tell you Andromeda fans that I am currently working on a deal to pick up a second set of them. I have been wanting to do this for some time so I can try hooking up a second bass module into my existing system and find out if it will further balance the bass in the room out even better. From everything I have read and been told, if placed properly and run with an equal amount of power, it will.

Terry, I didn't see a follow-up (or I missed it here). Did you hook up a 2nd bass module?
 
Hey there SLF - You must have missed my thread entitled "Got'em, backup PL Andromeda IIIs, etc." Yes I did manage to find and buy another entire Anromeda III system. It was in very good condition other than I will have the bass module re-coned shortly due to its age. Sounds okay but I can detect a bit of mushiness and a tad of boominess in the lowerst register. I hooked mine into my current system last week using a PL 400 amp and run two Paradigm mini monitors off it for reflected rear sound. By adding this second bass module I immediately noticed what I had hoped I would notice. The room sounds more balanced than it ever has before. The bass is decidedly stronger but really not any lower from what I can detect. I am very pleased at this addition and strongly recommend it to anyone owning Andromedas if they can find that ellusive second system. Congrats on finding yours and for the price you simply stole it and you know you did. I did an experiment some time back that I mentioned in a following post on a thread about subwoofers. MY main listening room is carpeted with fairly heavy and dense carpet. I cut a 2/3" piece of plywood 22" square, painted it gloss black and placed it under the bass module. The sound tightened up by just this as it was no longer being muffled to a degree by that carpet. I did this same thing with the newest bass module and it worked the same. I am really pleased with my system now but of course will have open ears and eyes for any other improvements that can be made down the road. A work in progress is what I say this hobby is. Again, congrats on the latest acquisition, I am going to keep looking and try find another full system someday and will buy it also if it is in good shape. One can never have too many Andromeda systems can they...............? Ha!

All the best to you...........Terry


I was out on the garage sale and thrift store warpath this morning, and ran across an orphaned Phase Linear Andromeda bass module - appeared unmolested, w/ two good looking 12" down firing woofers, good fuses, etc, and a nice $20 price.


phasesub001.jpg



I grabbed - and I have added this 2nd bass module to my Andromeda system, placed opposite the other module on the other side of the living room. I've heard good things about spreading the bass around the room with additional subwoofer units. At a minimum, I have the 2nd bass module for a backup if there are problems with the first one, since these things don't turn up everyday.

I am powering the second bass module with a 2nd amp, a Mcintosh 2205 (200 WPC). My preamp supports output to two power amps. I'm using the Crown CTS-2000 (1000 WPC) on the main Andromeda system.

The extra bass module definitely adds to the Andromeda experience. I'm listening to Dark Side of The Moon. Neither amp is breaking a sweat; thunderous room-filling sound. Really.....nice.

:music::tresbon:

From 7/11/10...


Terry, I didn't see a follow-up (or I missed it here). Did you hook up a 2nd bass module?
 
WOW; you STOLE that thing!

:yes::smoke:

While I was making arrangements for a hand truck to move the module out to my car, I had to chase away two different shoppers who were eyeing it presumably as end table furniture. A third guy wanted to know what the heck it was, so I got to tell him the story of the Andromeda speaker system, and mad scientist Bob Carver's work on these - found this module in N. Seattle so it was probably assembled in the Lynnwood Phase Linear facilities a few miles away.

Hey there SLF - You must have missed my thread entitled "Got'em, backup PL Andromeda IIIs, etc." Yes I did manage to find and buy another entire Anromeda III system. It was in very good condition other than I will have the bass module re-coned shortly due to its age. Sounds okay but I can detect a bit of mushiness and a tad of boominess in the lowerst register. I hooked mine into my current system last week using a PL 400 amp and run two Paradigm mini monitors off it for reflected rear sound. By adding this second bass module I immediately noticed what I had hoped I would notice. The room sounds more balanced than it ever has before. The bass is decidedly stronger but really not any lower from what I can detect. I am very pleased at this addition and strongly recommend it to anyone owning Andromedas if they can find that ellusive second system. Congrats on finding yours and for the price you simply stole it and you know you did. I did an experiment some time back that I mentioned in a following post on a thread about subwoofers. MY main listening room is carpeted with fairly heavy and dense carpet. I cut a 2/3" piece of plywood 22" square, painted it gloss black and placed it under the bass module. The sound tightened up by just this as it was no longer being muffled to a degree by that carpet. I did this same thing with the newest bass module and it worked the same. I am really pleased with my system now but of course will have open ears and eyes for any other improvements that can be made down the road. A work in progress is what I say this hobby is. Again, congrats on the latest acquisition, I am going to keep looking and try find another full system someday and will buy it also if it is in good shape. One can never have too many Andromeda systems can they...............? Ha!

All the best to you...........Terry

I did miss your thread Terry, but just went there and added a congratulatory post. Thanks for the report. Enjoy those beasts. :thmbsp::music:
 
Hi again everyone -

I just dropped that second bass module this morning to the guy that re-coned my original one and that did such a terrific job. We got to chatting a bit as he had some time and so did I. He told me that when he did my first one he did a frequency check on it after the re-coning and tweaking the crossover a tad. He said it went cleanly down to 21Hz and will make sure this other one ends up the same before I get it back at the end of the week. As mentioned in prior posts, even playing this second one in the condition it is in, it still improved the overall bass fullness in the room and I knew that once I got it re-coned I was going to be very impressed with the results. I know the original specs on this sub said it was good down to 24Hz so picking up an additional 3Hz of deep extension is "more music to me olde ears", or perhaps I should say "more rumblings in me olde stomach"..........Ha! This guy really knows his stuff so if anyone out there is looking to have re-coning done. let me know and I'll send you his phone number and address etc. He works out of his house but he sure has all the right stuff to get the job done and done right. Will post again once I get this puppy back and hooked up again........

Regards, Terry

PS: Hey SpeakerLabFan - Have you had any real time with your second bass module yet and if so what's your take on running the two together....?
 
Keep us posted as you get that second module in place, TSOQ

PS: Hey SpeakerLabFan - Have you had any real time with your second bass module yet and if so what's your take on running the two together....?

I'm definitely enjoying the Andromedas with the extra bass module. I've been planning to move the Andromedas out of the rotation to give the Carver Amazings some playing time, but I can't stop listening to the Andromedas.

It's the go to system for CDs. Latest plays: Rhino compilation CD - Nuggets - Choice Artyfacts from the first Psychedelic Era, and The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle. :music::music::thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Gentlemen, all you guys in the Northwest must have a bunch of these Andromeda's running around, surely because PL was based up there.

Well, here's another one I just found listed for auction. I think near Spokane? This from one of you? Sorry in advance if someone was watching secretly, looks like pretty fair interest alreeady.

No affiliation, yada yada. Good Hunting!

The speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHASE-LINEAR-AN...77?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item483ce6afe1

The subwoofer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHASE-LINEAR-AN...01?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item483ce6aff9
 
Gentlemen, all you guys in the Northwest must have a bunch of these Andromeda's running around, surely because PL was based up there.

Well, here's another one I just found listed for auction. I think near Spokane? This from one of you? Sorry in advance if someone was watching secretly, looks like pretty fair interest alreeady.

No affiliation, yada yada. Good Hunting!

The speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHASE-LINEAR-AN...77?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item483ce6afe1

The subwoofer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHASE-LINEAR-AN...01?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item483ce6aff9

Have seen this one before, shame the guy/gal is breaking up the sale into two parts and doesn't even mention the MCM as being with either the panels or the bass module. I see the bid is up close to $400 now for just the two panels. By the picture they appear to be in really nice shape but I'd be a tad wary of just how good they really are. I would think it would have been much smarter to offer the entire package in one unit and not try breaking it up into two separate sales as the bass module belongs with the panels as does the MCM. Just my opinion here of course, others may feel differently about this...........???

Regards, Terry
 
Have seen this one before, shame the guy/gal is breaking up the sale into two parts and doesn't even mention the MCM as being with either the panels or the bass module. I see the bid is up close to $400 now for just the two panels. By the picture they appear to be in really nice shape but I'd be a tad wary of just how good they really are. I would think it would have been much smarter to offer the entire package in one unit and not try breaking it up into two separate sales as the bass module belongs with the panels as does the MCM. Just my opinion here of course, others may feel differently about this...........???

Regards, Terry



I agree Terry. I guess that if the seller wants to get the most $ they can then this is the way to go but boy oh boy. It will cost someone a lot of cash to get the set, and no MCM. ( They do look like they are in good shape though.) Looks like the set, with the sub, will reach over 800.00 by the time it's finished.
Glad to hear that you like the 2 subs in the system Dick/Terry. I just wish I had the room to do that...
 
Last edited:
I agree Terry. I guess that if the seller wants to get the most $ they can then this is the way to go but boy oh boy. It will cost someone a lot of cash to get the set, and no MCM. ( They do look like they are in good shape though.) Looks like the set, with the sub, will reach over 800.00 by the time it's finished.
Glad to hear that you like the 2 subs in the system Dick/Terry. I just wish I had the room to do that...

Hey ommp - Good to hear from you. I agree, it will end up costing someone probably well over $800 inc. shipping for both items being auctioned so I hope this system is in fine shape and doesn't need any costly repairs, etc. What gets me is that both auctions may end up with separate buyers so neither one will be able to enjoy the full system and that doesn't make a lot of sense to me........??? I am waiting on that second bass module that is being re-coned as I am typing this and am certain it will be an awesome listening session for me once I get it back and hooked up again. As I mentioned prior, even listening to it in the condition it was in prior, it opened up the bass response in the room a lot and it felt "bigger" if I can use that word. I am running it with one of my PL400 amps so it is getting enough power to perform as it was intended to. Will post again once I have it back and running............

All the best to you up there in "the Land of Carver". You PL/Carver guys up there are so darn lucky............!!!

Regards, Terry
 
Hey Terry, I e-mailed the ebay seller and asked if local pick-up was an option and if they had the MCM but have gotten no response. Not that I would pay that much for another pair but just thought I would ask. Keep us informed when you get your 2nd sub back. And you are correct when you said that it will probably be more than 800 what with the shipping. Sure hope that seller knows how to pack them puppies without destroying the plastic dispersion cones. That can't be an easy job.
 
That separate PL Andromeda III system is now at $875 for the two panels on one auction and the bass module on the other. Include shipping for both and the price has no risen to over $1000 for both!!! AND NO MCM included on either auction!!! Either one person wants this system real bad and is willing to try and locate an MCM later on, or perhaps two individual people don't have a clue what they are buying and that the two auctions should belong as one......??? Sure glad I was able to pick up my second system when I did and for the price I paid for it. BTW, I just started a new thread in the Speakers section entitled "ATTENTION All PL Andromeda III/Phase III Fans". Got that second bass module re-coned and running in unison with the other one and.......WOW!!!

Regards.........Terry
:music::thmbsp:
 
Hey everyone, I have been out of the loop for awhile as I have been in another state working on an old historic home that I purchased. As I took items with me as I am living in the house I took a few sound systems with me just for the heck of it so I would have some intertainment in the house as I have no TV cable, internet, or any normal things in a home that is over 100 years old. In fact I only have new electrical in the one bedroom and bath that I have been working on. Its kind of like camping out and for the most part is ok other than that I miss my wife being with me. Probably can get her to move once I get a kitchen in place. That being said, I took two audio racks and three pairs of speakers. The first trip I took one audio rack and a pair of Infinity RS-1b's, of which I am very fond of. I took my worst set as I had to concern myself with the possiblity of breakins due to the fact the house had been empty for decades. Let me tell you nothing beats large rooms with hi ceilngs for sound systems to sound their best. They sound so much better now that they are able to breathe! I put them in the master bedroom which I had finished restoring. Next room was one of the front parlors, I brought a pair of small Infinity Quantum Line Source 5's which is a small three way speaker which sounded pretty good but nothing like the big Infinitys. Another trip and I pulled my pair of Phase Linear III's out of their storage, grabbed a Mcintosh preamp that I had sitting around un-used, looked around for an amp, and the only thing that I had no already in a rack was on old Crown 400 amp. I was amazed out how great that system sounded, blew me away, as I liked the overall sound better than my big Infinity's. The bass quantity certianly lacked in shear volume over the Infinity's bass towers, but the bass seemed somewhat better in the very deep lows, in the region which you can barely hear and just feel the bass was better than the Infinity's towers. They are more like the QLS-1's with their Watkins dual voice coil drivers, where the RS-1b's have two bass towers with six bass drivers in them they don't seem to hit the real lows like the PL speakers do. I am back here in Florida right now at my other house for a few weeks and was so impressed with those PL III's I didn't want anything to happen to them so I loaded them back in my van and brought them back with me, even though I have insurance on the house finding another pair to replace this mint pair would be hard. Just thought you all might be interested in my thoughts on those old Carver speakers.

On a second note, I never got a chance to send out a Phase Linear amp that I wanted to get repaired. What I need if anyone here knows which I know some of you do, is the layout of the transistors on the back of a PL 700 II amp. I thought tomorrow I might pull out all the transistors and check them to find which are bad and go to the electronics store and buy some to new insolator pads and grease, and replace any bad transistors. It is blowing the fuse when you power it up, everything inside looks like new, the main power caps look they are mint like someone already replaced it, but I see some of the main transistors on the back have been replaced with newer ones and some are the old orginal ones. I am hoping that is my problem as I would like to use this amp if I can get it working and take it back with me next week when I go back. I remember one of you all posting the layout of the back transistors. I got a combintion of trantistors mainly Motorola MJ 15025's, TR9054's, ON MJ15025's.

Looks like they all face one way except the bottom transistors in all rows are reversed except the third row from the left when looking at it from the rear that row two of the MJ15025's are reversed. I hope that is a good explaination. If anyone has a drawing of the layout of the transistors it would be helpful The row of TR9054's are old ones that are different the rest of the other three rows, will replace all of them. A friend of mine works at the cape on the Shuttle and has a testor to test all the transistors so I would like to use all the same brand of transistors and replace any that test bad. But many of them look like new ON MJ15025's which are probably later replacements that might be ok. Any help would be thankful, thanks everyone.

If any more Phase Linear III's come my way I will certianly grab them up as I love them speakers, but hopefully I won't have to pay that much, I only paid 400 dollars for my pair with the Bass Comode and the electronic controller with it. I had to replace one of the audax tweeters if you all recall and I found a pair on ebay so I have a spare. I do have one problem which is one of the mids has a small buzz on some songs if you touch it very lightly it goes away and the surround looks very old but it is still not torn. I think it is weak and allowing the voice coil to rub slightly. It will probably be harder to find it is one of the two near the top one faces forward and then right above it one faces to the rear. They have a black back on them with a hole in it. If anyone sees one for sell give me a shout back as I would like to get a replacement just in case it gets worse. They didn't use foam on these but rather a cloth type of tape on the surround.
 
Hello down there in Florida Ken -

Don't know if you're aware but I recently bought a second PL Andromeda III system. Lucked out, it was in decent shape, original owner and everything worked. Did have to have the bass module re-coned and after inspection, I thought it best to re-edge the four midrange drivers. Also doing the ones in my original system at the same time due strictly to age. Anyway, point of all this being, I believe the drivers used are the Peerless M122 which has long since been discontinued by the mgfr. Trying to locate them is almost impossible now so you will probably have to rely on finding another system in tact if you are in need of replacing that one of yours that is making the buzzing sound. Could be however as you said, the voice coil is rubbing against the surround. I am now running both systems in the same room and the sound of both together is nothing short of just plain awesome. The added bass module has evened out the bass throughout the entire room and as SLF noted in a response, it really is a "crushing" experience. The guy that re-coned both bass modules has them now playing cleanly and tightly down to 21Hz, which is 3Hz below what the system is capable of new. Hope you can find someone in your area to either re-edge and/or re-cone those mids for you. I don't have mine back yet so can't tell you how they sound but will shortly. If push comes to shove I can put you in touch with him as it would be only a modest cost I believe to ship them out to him. He does excellent work and only takes three to four days to do the job. These systems are becoming more and more difficult to find, especially in good to mint condition after all these years. I am even right now looking around to see if I can turn up a third complete system in decent shape that I will use as a parts system only. Then again, maybe three of these in one room may be worth a try perhaps..............Ha!

Regards, Terry :music::thmbsp:
 
I can only imagine setting up a surround setup using my PL 6000 audio delay runing into another PL 700 II paired to another pair of PL III speakers. I knew you were wanting to find another bass comode but I didn't know you wanted a complete setup. And don't hog all the systems out there save an extra set for me, here on the east coast they are much more hard to find. As far as the layout for the transistors I found a print out in a pile on my desk where I have the info. One of the transistors in my amp seems like it is backwards.
 
Back
Top Bottom