• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phono Preamp 4 Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Dynavector 10x5

Myvinyl333

Active Member
Looking for a phono preamp to best fit my Music Hall MMF 5.1 SE TT with a Dynavector 10x5 Moving Coil cartridge.

I have a Mobile Fidelity V90 Phono Preamp I got for my ProjectIII with an Ortofon 2M Bronze Moving Magnet cartridge.

I have 2 listening areas and thus 2 tables. The main room is where I am using the Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT.

I found the Ortofon to be too bright and noisy so switched to the Music Hall TT.

I do not know enough about MC vs MM to make an informed purchase. I read the Dynavector P75 line of Phono Preamps fit the 10x5 cartridge.

Looking for your expertise on this one!
 
Register to hide this ad
The Dynavector, I have no experience with but obvious they make the cartridge. Seen used at good prices.
The Musical Surroundings Phonomena II or the + now, Nova+ and the ifi are very good.
Used older versions can be had at nice prices. I have recommended the Vista Audio One II (300) before too also very nice. Heed Quasar/PS I use is great. It is the only Phono that sounded better without a step-up Trannie. I have had a lot of Phonos the last 2 years.
All very versatile for MM and MC's. The Lounge might be good depending on choice of cartridge.
Lots of good choices right now.
 
Last edited:
The Musical Surroundings line of phono preamps, as mentioned by bacobits, might be worthy of a look. I owned and, unfortunately, had to sell the Phonomena II. It is a quality built unit. Sound is excellent and has quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to loading options.

It looks like the latest version of it is the Phonomena II +. The front for the latest version is solid aluminium vs. acrylic for the previous one.
 
The Musical Surroundings line of phono preamps, as mentioned by bacobits, might be worthy of a look. I owned and, unfortunately, had to sell the Phonomena II. It is a quality built unit. Sound is excellent and has quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to loading options.

It looks like the latest version of it is the Phonomena II +. The front for the latest version is solid aluminium vs. acrylic for the previous one.

Would it enhance the Dynavctor 10x5 moving coil? The Ortofon is very bright with a lot of surface noise not present on the Dynavector of course on different tables too.
 
The Dynavector 10x5 is HOMC and will work in your preamps MM phono input, have you tried that yet? Also what is your systems preamp, inergrate or reciever?
 
I didn't like the one I had in my system, witch is why I'm trying to find out what your system is and what you've tried.
 
The Dynavector 10x5 is HOMC and will work in your preamps MM phono input, have you tried that yet? Also what is your systems preamp, inergrate or reciever?

Intergraded NAD 356Bee Music Fidelity V 90 LPS phono stage

Monitor Audio Silver 8 floor standing speakers and sub
 
I didn't like the one I had in my system, witch is why I'm trying to find out what your system is and what you've tried.

I like the smoothness of the 10x5 not to mention the clarity and no noise... Would like to pair it with a higher end Phono Preamp...setup has greater potential IMO.
 
Intergraded NAD 356Bee Music Fidelity V 90 LPS phono stage

Monitor Audio Silver 8 floor standing speakers and sub

So your needs fall on a stand alone phono stage and is mandatory. Something with RIAA Eq

Coph Nia Mc Phono Preamplifier

It's some what vintage and a little bit rare but it will blow away a Musical Surroundings a Clear Audio in that price range. Most of the cheaper new stages are geared to people who have intergates like yours that want to play records. I don't feel they produce the SQ of early stand alones that where compeating with a whole industry and culture listening to records. Older stand alones had to be better than what was allready in a pramp and then give opptions for the LOMC. At least that's my opinion.
 
While I never used this unit I would have no qualms spending my money on it to try it out.

Search eBay for this

Antique Sound USA ASUSA PP-2 Tube Phono PreAmplifier Stage MM/MC 12AX7
 
The NAD PP375 MM/MC module is crazy good for $200. Being that it has no external PS it is midnight black background. The Dyn is HOMC so it should sound excellent, if you want serious loading options for eventual higher end MC carts then go the Phonomena II route.
 
I have the Dynavector p75 my3 phono preamp and it sounds really good. It's 800$. Maybe look into that since your using their cart.

Steve
 
The NAD PP375 MM/MC module is crazy good for $200. Being that it has no external PS it is midnight black background. The Dyn is HOMC so it should sound excellent, if you want serious loading options for eventual higher end MC carts then go the Phonomena II route.

I have the NAD Dat instead of the PP375. Looking at the Phonomena's line as well as the Dynavector line.

Trying get the most from my MC cart
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...=VWf0AMGMWDYu6_iAaiJ7KA&bvm=bv.99804247,d.dmo
 
Back
Top Bottom