• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phono Preamp 4 Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Dynavector 10x5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sou...MM-MC-12AX7-/191657732915?hash=item2c9fb0eb33

I would be willing to try if I knew more more about compatibility with my setup, etc.

Here is the thing asking about compatibility and sound online no one can tell you, as no one has all your equipment together in your room. When selecting my front end components I had to try out quiet a few things together listening to what sounded good to me. Thats why ebay is nice to try used gear and if it's not right for you back to ebay it goes.

That said you just posted a link about MC and stepup transformers SUT.

Your NAD intergrate has no phono stage / phono input A phono stage has RIAA equalisation and you need that.

A SUT/stepup transformer plugs into the phono stage and boost the gain and matches impedance better. These where needed when most recievers only had a MM phono stage and LOMC started making headway into common use.

A Phono Head Amp does basicaly the same thing as a SUT but generaly has more adjustablity.

A stand alone phono stage / phono preamp has RIAA equalisation and you plug that into your AUX input of a reciever, intergate, preamp. These are a lot more common now a days because most new consumer units do not have a phono stage built in. This is where you are at you need a stand alone stage.
 
Another option: There is a Bottlehead Secuction for sale on Bartertown right now.
 
You might want to call NAD and see if their add on stage works on your NAD C 356BEE.

I found this NAD PP 375 Optional MC/MM Phono Module for C375BEE

Add a high-quality switchable MM/MC phono stage to your BEE. The easy-to-install, internally mounted NAD PP375 phono module is designed specifically for the C375BEE and is a Bjorn Erik Edvardsen design that provides exceptional performance at a reasonable price. It utilizes close tolerance high quality components. If you're serious about the reproduction of their collection of vinyl records, the NAD PP375 presents an excellent opportunity to upgrade.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP375&gclid=COW3mK_lrccCFU2Sfgode_wG5w

Looking at the back of the NAD 356Bee there is a removable blank plate above the inputs. this looks like the spot you can add on the NAD phono stage above or one that they had for this unit at the time. Now that I think about it I have see these NAD modules on eBay from time to time.


img.php



NAPP375_STR.jpg



With your NAD this is where I would start, for $200 or less you can make your NAD phono ready. This would totaly expand your options later if you want to try a (SUT) or Head Amps. Also this addon stage will handle the HOMC you have and you can try it in both the MM or the MC inputs.
 
Last edited:
The NAD PP375 MM/MC module is crazy good for $200. Being that it has no external PS it is midnight black background. The Dyn is HOMC so it should sound excellent, if you want serious loading options for eventual higher end MC carts then go the Phonomena II route.

I just seen this in your post and agree that this shoul be the starting point for a NAD owner.
 
You might want to call NAD and see if their add on stage works on your NAD C 356BEE.

I found this NAD PP 375 Optional MC/MM Phono Module for C375BEE

Add a high-quality switchable MM/MC phono stage to your BEE. The easy-to-install, internally mounted NAD PP375 phono module is designed specifically for the C375BEE and is a Bjorn Erik Edvardsen design that provides exceptional performance at a reasonable price. It utilizes close tolerance high quality components. If you're serious about the reproduction of their collection of vinyl records, the NAD PP375 presents an excellent opportunity to upgrade.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP375&gclid=COW3mK_lrccCFU2Sfgode_wG5w

Looking at the back of the NAD 356Bee there is a removable blank plate above the inputs. this looks like the spot you can add on the NAD phono stage above or one that they had for this unit at the time. Now that I think about it I have see these NAD modules on eBay from time to time.N
M

img.php



NAPP375_STR.jpg



With your NAD this is where I would start, for $200 or less you can make your NAD phono ready. This would totaly expand your options later if you want to try a (SUT) or Head Amps. Also this addon stage will handle the HOMC you have and you can try it in both the MM or the MC inputs.

I apologize for my tech ignorance. Are you saying the NAD PP375 would be used externally then add a phono preamp such as all that are reffered to in the thread?

I thought if I had the NAD DAC internally I could use Th PP375... Maybe I vould addexternally... I can call NAD.
(Thank everyone so much for you valuable information and patitence)
 
Just spoke with a Crutchfield rep(?) who said the 356BEE could plug the 375 into the unit next to the DAC. Said I did not need anything else? 375 better than than the Phono preamps discussed this far?

8/16/2015 3:10:34 p.m. George Burows Can I add the NAD PP375 externally to the C375 BEE if I have the internal NAD DAT on board?
8/16/2015 3:11:59 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Let me check. One second please.
8/16/2015 3:13:21 p.m. George Burows I meant NAD DAC
8/16/2015 3:13:57 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' The 375BEE has space for two modules. So you should be able to install both no problem.
8/16/2015 3:14:18 p.m. George Burows Inside or external
8/16/2015 3:14:28 p.m. George Burows Or either?
8/16/2015 3:14:53 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Inside. It can not be used externally. Sorry i meant to say that
8/16/2015 3:15:43 p.m. George Burows Can I install easily?
8/16/2015 3:16:06 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Yep it just plugs right in.
8/16/2015 3:16:43 p.m. George Burows Does it come with installation directions?
8/16/2015 3:17:21 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' It does. You just unscrew the cover plate in the back of the BEE and this plugs right into the opening.
8/16/2015 3:17:55 p.m. George Burows Next to the DAC?
8/16/2015 3:18:02 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Yes
8/16/2015 3:18:50 p.m. George Burows Then cam I add a phono pre amplifier l.
8/16/2015 3:19:32 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' That's what the pp375 is. A phono pre-amp.
8/16/2015 3:20:50 p.m. George Burows I am confused
8/16/2015 3:21:32 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' The pp375 is a pre-amp. It allows you to plug a turn table directly into the 375BEE
8/16/2015 3:22:48 p.m. George Burows I read I could use one to control MC cartridges
8/16/2015 3:22:56 p.m. George Burows Better
8/16/2015 3:23:32 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' This can handle both MM and MC cartridges just fine.
8/16/2015 3:25:27 p.m. George Burows I thought say the Musical Surroundings Phonomania II could work I tandem through the PP 375
8/16/2015 3:26:52 p.m. George Burows http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=674205&page=2
 
Last edited:
I apologize for my tech ignorance. Are you saying the NAD PP375 would be used externally then add a phono preamp such as all that are reffered to in the thread?

I thought if I had the NAD DAC internally I could use Th PP375... Maybe I vould addexternally... I can call NAD.
(Thank everyone so much for you valuable information and patitence)

I don't know if the PP375 will work for your unit or not but NAD has a Phono Stage that is user installed into the unit you have. You would need nothing else after intalling it.

But if later you wanted to try things like a SUT or Head Amp you can because you have the RIAA stage that you put in the reciever.
 
Just spoke with a Crutchfield rep(?) who said the 356BEE could plug the 375 into the unit next to the DAC. Said I did not need anything else? 375 better than than the Phono preamps discussed this far?

8/16/2015 3:10:34 p.m. George Burows Can I add the NAD PP375 externally to the C375 BEE if I have the internal NAD DAT on board?
8/16/2015 3:11:59 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Let me check. One second please.
8/16/2015 3:13:21 p.m. George Burows I meant NAD DAC
8/16/2015 3:13:57 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' The 375BEE has space for two modules. So you should be able to install both no problem.
8/16/2015 3:14:18 p.m. George Burows Inside or external
8/16/2015 3:14:28 p.m. George Burows Or either?
8/16/2015 3:14:53 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Inside. It can not be used externally. Sorry i meant to say that
8/16/2015 3:15:43 p.m. George Burows Can I install easily?
8/16/2015 3:16:06 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Yep it just plugs right in.
8/16/2015 3:16:43 p.m. George Burows Does it come with installation directions?
8/16/2015 3:17:21 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' It does. You just unscrew the cover plate in the back of the BEE and this plugs right into the opening.
8/16/2015 3:17:55 p.m. George Burows Next to the DAC?
8/16/2015 3:18:02 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' Yes
8/16/2015 3:18:50 p.m. George Burows Then cam I add a phono pre amplifier l.
8/16/2015 3:19:32 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' That's what the pp375 is. A phono pre-amp.
8/16/2015 3:20:50 p.m. George Burows I am confused
8/16/2015 3:21:32 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' The pp375 is a pre-amp. It allows you to plug a turn table directly into the 375BEE
8/16/2015 3:22:48 p.m. George Burows I read I could use one to control MC cartridges
8/16/2015 3:22:56 p.m. George Burows Better
8/16/2015 3:23:32 p.m. Tylar, Zachary 'Peyton' This can handle both MM and MC cartridges just fine.
8/16/2015 3:25:27 p.m. George Burows I thought say the Musical Surroundings Phonomania II could work I tandem through the PP 375
8/16/2015 3:26:52 p.m. George Burows http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=674205&page=2

What's better? Like I said earlier you will need to judge that. I would want the stage that was designed to be used with my unit first.
 
From my looking at the back of your unit you only have one slot for a plug in. Either the phono or DAC, but not both. Before I buy anything I would call NAD themselves and not a retailer.
 
I don't know if the PP375 will work for your unit or not but NAD has a Phono Stage that is user installed into the unit you have. You would need nothing else after intalling it.

But if later you wanted to try things like a SUT or Head Amp you can because you have the RIAA stage that you put in the reciever.

The NAD PP375 will be installed after I find one as pointed out around $200.
I have been reading on what SUT and Head Amp are and how they are used, etc. I had never heard of I either one until this thread.

Must admit I am above my pay grade currently looking at a MC setup using a step up eventually.

Grateful for all the guidance. I had the Dynavector for years in a phono stage that was non MC in design... When I bought I had a stock MM cartridge, then upgraded.
 
From my looking at the back of your unit you only have one slot for a plug in. Either the phono or DAC, but not both. Before I buy anything I would call NAD themselves and not a retailer.

That was my impression when I bought it from Saturday Audio...
Before I go any further I will call. If it does not? Looking at Phono Preamps again...
 
That was my impression when I bought it from Saturday Audio...
Before I go any further I will call. If it does not? Looking at Phono Preamps again...

The NAD C356BEE description states, "Musical performance is only part of the C 356BEE’s story. We have also included our upgrade-friendly Modular Design Construction (MDC) to allow the addition of our superb PP 375 Phono Stage and MDC DAC - USB Digital Analogue Converter or other yet-to-be-announced MDC Modules to enhance the capabilities of this affordable amplifier.

Since the C 356BEE is fitted with one MDC slot, if you are looking at add both of these functions, our recommended configuration is to install an MDC DAC and use an outboard-connected PP2 or PP3 for Phono. Recently, NAD has added a C 356BEE model that has the MDC DAC fully installed in the factory, called the C 356BEE DAC."

I assume this no rules out SUT and Head AMP with no RIAA? Look for Phono Preamp to match NAD and 10x5?

FULL NAD C356BEEhttp://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-356BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier
 
Last edited:
Get a stand alone DAC and even better if it's a WiFi stand alone like the Audioengine D2.

It streams 24bit files over it's own WiFi. Reciver plugs into a AUX input, the small transmitter can plug into you computer if a concerts on TV plug the Tv into it and listen though your stereo.
 
Get a stand alone DAC and even better if it's a WiFi stand alone like the Audioengine D2.

It streams 24bit files over it's own WiFi. Reciver plugs into a AUX input, the small transmitter can plug into you computer if a concerts on TV plug the Tv into it and listen though your stereo.

...replace the internal DAC with the 375 and go SUT/Head Amp?
 
...replace the internal DAC with the 375 and go SUT/Head Amp?

Dude you are confusing the **** out of me:yes: What DAC? looking at post #23 in the photos do you see the removable blank plate above all the inputs? Do you already have something like a DAC in that location?
 
You might want to call NAD and see if their add on stage works on your NAD C 356BEE.

I found this NAD PP 375 Optional MC/MM Phono Module for C375BEE

Add a high-quality switchable MM/MC phono stage to your BEE. The easy-to-install, internally mounted NAD PP375 phono module is designed specifically for the C375BEE and is a Bjorn Erik Edvardsen design that provides exceptional performance at a reasonable price. It utilizes close tolerance high quality components. If you're serious about the reproduction of their collection of vinyl records, the NAD PP375 presents an excellent opportunity to upgrade.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP375&gclid=COW3mK_lrccCFU2Sfgode_wG5w

Looking at the back of the NAD 356Bee there is a removable blank plate above the inputs. this looks like the spot you can add on the NAD phono stage above or one that they had for this unit at the time. Now that I think about it I have see these NAD modules on eBay from time to time.


img.php



NAPP375_STR.jpg



With your NAD this is where I would start, for $200 or less you can make your NAD phono ready. This would totaly expand your options later if you want to try a (SUT) or Head Amps. Also this addon stage will handle the HOMC you have and you can try it in both the MM or the MC inputs.


This small phono RIAA Phono stage mounts into the back of your reciver. This whole post was about getting you setup so you can play records on this unit. Then seminole54 mentions a DAC there instead and your all off and running on that. Nobody wants a built in DAC the technology moves way to fast. So most people want a stand alone DAC.

This $200 or less stage is all you need right now to use your TT and MC cartridge. So at this point there is no need to talk about a SUT or a Head Amp.
 
This small phono RIAA Phono stage mounts into the back of your reciver. This whole post was about getting you setup so you can play records on this unit. Then seminole54 mentions a DAC there instead and your all off and running on that. Nobody wants a built in DAC the technology moves way to fast. So most people want a stand alone DAC.

This $200 or less stage is all you need right now to use your TT and MC cartridge. So at this point there is no need to talk about a SUT or a Head Amp.

I am just going by what NAD said," Since the C 356BEE is fitted with one MDC slot, if you are looking at add both of these functions, our recommended configuration is to install an MDC DAC and use an outboard-connected PP2 or PP3 for Phono. Recently, NAD has added a C 356BEE model that has the MDC DAC fully installed in the factory, called the C 356BEE DAC."

My unit has the C 356bEE DAC that was factory installed,
 
Back
Top Bottom