• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Piano Music induces Snare-Drum like Resonant sounds

I will NOT go analog, I will NOT go analog, I will NOT go analog.....
Not even suggesting it might be anything inherent in being digital, simply that all systems produce errors under certain conditions... hence the error correction reference. I have heard a sound as described from error by something somewhere in the digital chain, the example of a flawed disc was one example, not dissing digital at all... records have ticks and pops, tape has minute tape to head and skew issues. Nothings perfect and sometimes something gets through that gets noticed.
 
Well, these recordings sound fine to me. Have you other guys tried to reproduce the issue before declaring it an effect of digital?
Well... it was not the objective but yes, it has happened... one way is to overdrive the tweeter causing it to overheat and swell the coil former until a few windings just barely touches the pole piece but retains movement and continuity. It makes that sound, kind of sounds like overly taxed error correction. Just going through diagnostic logic to identify what is producing the aberrant sound... process of elimination. Might be the speakers, might be signal electronics, might be digital retriever, might be a bad connector introducing capacitive problems... maybe was included by the producer as artistic license and is being faithfully reproduced.
 
Well... it was not the objective but yes, it has happened... one way is to overdrive the tweeter causing it to overheat and swell the coil former until a few windings just barely touches the pole piece but retains movement and continuity. It makes that sound, kind of sounds like overly taxed error correction. Just going through diagnostic logic to identify what is producing the aberrant sound... process of elimination. Might be the speakers, might be signal electronics, might be digital retriever, might be a bad connector introducing capacitive problems... maybe was included by the producer as artistic license and is being faithfully reproduced.
Well, I didn't communicate that clearly, my bad. What I meant was, have any of y'all listened to the track to verify that the track is not the issue. Seems like there was some thinking that the track was bad becuase it was digital, not due to something on the OPs system.
 
I guess I was vague. Yes I hear it on my computer speakers as well, so it’s in the track
Or something in your chain. Is there anything in common between your 2 channel rig and the computer? I have pretty good hearing, but I'm not going to brag that I have a golden ear. But I don't really hear what you describe. Would be good if someone else would listen to the track and see if they hear it to verify. I am out at the bench, I'll listen to the youtube you posted out here on one of my other systems to see if I can hear what you describe.
 
Or something in your chain. Is there anything in common between your 2 channel rig and the computer? I have pretty good hearing, but I'm not going to brag that I have a golden ear. But I don't really hear what you describe. Would be good if someone else would listen to the track and see if they hear it to verify. I am out at the bench, I'll listen to the youtube you posted out here on one of my other systems to see if I can hear what you describe.

Both are fed from my iMac via iTunes, one via airplay, one via the iMac’s onboard DAC and headphone port. I don’t have any iTunes settings turned on.
 
Back
Top Bottom