• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Picked up some nice EPIs

chillwolf

"Play 'em off!"
I found a pair of EPI series 3 120 speakers the other day at the GW for $6.95 each. They are in near mint condition with all the drivers intact and the grill cloth without any snags or tears. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but will probably do so today or tomrrow. Anyone else have these?
Here's a link to some info on them. Appears they were made from 91-93 and sold for $199.95 each.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-120-3.htm
 
Register to hide this ad
Great score,the little 100's I have sound very nice so I'd imagine those will be sweet,especially considering the price.:thmbsp:
 
These were designed and sold long after Winslow Burhoe left the company and bear no resemblance to the early, very popular 2-way EPI and Epicure speakers so often discussed here.

Let us know how they perform.
 
These were designed and sold long after Winslow Burhoe left the company and bear no resemblance to the early, very popular 2-way EPI and Epicure speakers so often discussed here.


These are my A120 speakers, for comparison:

attachment.php


attachment.php


These speakers are about10 years older than yours and are the typical 2-way design, as opposed to the later 3-ways, like yours. You got a great price on those, and Hu at Human Speakers can help you tweak your speakers, if you aren't entirely satisfied with the sound.
 
Wonder what is different about my 120C models in comparison to the 120? Looks like yours is newer. Looks like both the tweeter and woofer are different. I see that make a 120, 120B and 120C models. All similar. Your 120's look like they have holes for the 8 screws on the woofers, did you replace the woofers?

781556905_eWzfe-L.jpg
 
Last edited:
If you happen to not like the sound
of your newly acquired purchase, please
don't assume all EPI's have the same characteristics.
Three-way, ported design is not what EPI is known
for. I have M100's and 100V's and I bet they don't
sound like the 120 III. I never met a ported speaker
that really did it for me. Just my .02
 
Wonder what is different about my 120C models in comparison to the 120? Looks like yours is newer. Looks like both the tweeter and woofer are different. I see that make a 120, 120B and 120C models. All similar. Your 120's look like they have holes for the 8 screws on the woofers, did you replace the woofers?

You have an excellent eye, kfa888! Yes, I did replace the woofer. When I purchased the Epi A120, these are how they looked:

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


I waited for several months before a pair of 10" woofers showed up. Kretinus, a fellow AKer, saw my plight and supplied the drivers I am currently using. The 10" woofers are very hard to find, compared to the more common 8" woofers.

The baskets on these 10" are different from the originals, I am assuming. I haven't ever seen the originals to know for sure. The baskets have only 4 screw holes, compared to 8 in the baffle, and they just do cover the opening in the baffle. I have not noticed any leakage between the baffle and frame, but the overlap can't be more than 1/8". However, these are Epi 10" woofers and they do sound excellent!
 
Your cone, dust cap and VC leads look the same. Mine are original woofers refoamed. These speakers sound very good. BTW the Human speaker site shows an early 120 that has woofers like your basket but different cone (no ribs)...

epi120.jpg
 
These were designed and sold long after Winslow Burhoe left the company and bear no resemblance to the early, very popular 2-way EPI and Epicure speakers so often discussed here.

Let us know how they perform.

These are my A120 speakers, for comparison:

attachment.php


attachment.php


These speakers are about10 years older than yours and are the typical 2-way design, as opposed to the later 3-ways, like yours. You got a great price on those, and Hu at Human Speakers can help you tweak your speakers, if you aren't entirely satisfied with the sound.

Well, I got the chance to try the EPIs out this weekend. I replaced the Utahs in my main system with them, and I am very happy with the the way they sound. :music: And they look nice with the all black cabs and grills setting on all black speaker stands. I have these in the front with Mach 2s in the rear and like the way they sound together. I am impressed with the 8 inch woofers in the EPIs, they are nice and punchy with bass.
I do have a pair of the older EPI 100s, 2 way speakers but the woofs need to be refoamed. Something I need to get done so I can hear how those sound. :yes:
And I also have a pair of the Epicure M150s, so I know a little bit of how the older EPIs sound.
 
Well, I got the chance to try the EPIs out this weekend. I replaced the Utahs in my main system with them, and I am very happy with the the way they sound. :music: And they look nice with the all black cabs and grills setting on all black speaker stands. I have these in the front with Mach 2s in the rear and like the way they sound together. I am impressed with the 8 inch woofers in the EPIs, they are nice and punchy with bass.
I do have a pair of the older EPI 100s, 2 way speakers but the woofs need to be refoamed. Something I need to get done so I can hear how those sound. :yes:
And I also have a pair of the Epicure M150s, so I know a little bit of how the older EPIs sound.

That's great! You have quite the Epi stable at your house. How about a picture of your new Epis - your description has me curious.
 
Your cone, dust cap and VC leads look the same. Mine are original woofers refoamed. These speakers sound very good. BTW the Human speaker site shows an early 120 that has woofers like your basket but different cone (no ribs)...

epi120.jpg

I picked some early version 120's (foam grill) up from a guy who had blown both woofers over the years and had factory replacements, one had the ribs...and the other was a time/energy woofer...both still EPI but entirely different. They were great speakers. They sort of remind me of shorter stouter Boston A100's.
 
Back
Top Bottom