• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pickering V-15 brush does not clear the headshell

Johncan

Record collector
I recently bought a NOS Pickering D IV ATE stylus with the brush. I installed it on my Elac Miracord 50H II in a Stanton 600 cartridge. The brush does not clear the headshell. It seems to play fine. I have it tracking at 3 grams. Are there any issues with this?

2020-06-30 20.32.43.jpg

2020-06-30 20.34.18.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
My guess is, yes it will effect performance.
Remove brush and see if the cart will sit lower.
If so agree with shim.
 
I got the stylus from Gary at V-M Audio Enthusiasts. He said the stylus is compatible with the cartridge. I can try the shim to see if that helps. The combo, as is, appears to be tracking fine. I am not experiencing any skips, groove jumping, or distortion (that I can hear).
 
That appears to be pushing the headshell up just a bit because the bristles are very bent more that if the brush was not held down by the headshell. I would use enough shims to allow the brush to ride on the record without ever hitting the headshell.
 
I'm not sure the Stan 600 and Pickering V15 got the same mounting "ear" formation nor that it's sloped face is identical, so maybe that oversized broom isn't angled at it's ideal position. You could try to shim the Stan and give it a few more fractions of an inch clearance from the headshell.
The Pickering V15 and Stanton 600 are totally different cartridges.

Pickering V15 = Stanton 500 which are MM
Pickering V15 Micro IV = Stanton 600 which are MI

The V15 Micro IV and 600 don't use metal ears for mounting. They use a removable plastic sled. Shimming is likely the best option.
 
Remove the brush and reduce tracking force a gram or so, I've found those brushes annoying even when they're not impeded by a headshell. .
The cart was actually designed for use with the brush. The brush is there to aid tracking so basically the amazing separation numbers were only possible WITH the brush. The brush works a bit like oil damping keeping the stylus lined up in the groove. The original soft brush was silent in use and only a positive. Jico brushes are too hard, the only decent new brushes I have found are Pfanstiehl ones. Probably though more an issue with 681 and 881 and Pickering variants.
Chris
 
Regardless, they are intended for easy removal and I've done so with a V15 ATE also mounted on an Elac 50H. The brush interfered so off it came. I've owned a Stanton 681EE for over 45 years and except for the first couple, have taken brushes off any styli I've gotten for it. That was common "back in the day".

There were instructions from Stanton re tracking force needed for brush on or brush off. No mention was made whatsoever about aiding trackability of the cartridge. It was strictly a dust/debris removal device. As a matter of fact, Pickering promoted their brush feature coining the term "Dust-O-Matic".

Later iterations of Shure V15's were a different matter being as those brushes were dampened but again, instructions from Shure included tracking forces for brush up or brush down.

Not the greatest picture, dark area of the room so flash was automatic.

IMG_4552.JPG
 
Last edited:
Regardless, they are intended for easy removal and I've done so with a V15 ATE also mounted on an Elac 50H. The brush interfered so off it came. I've owned a Stanton 681EE for over 45 years and except for the first couple, have taken brushes off any styli I've gotten for it. That was common "back in the day".

There were instructions from Stanton re tracking force needed for brush on or brush off. No mention was made whatsoever about aiding trackability of the cartridge. It was strictly a dust/debris removal devide. As a matter of fact, Pickering promoted their brush feature coining the term "Dust-O-Matic".

Later iterations of Shure V15's were a different matter being as those brushes were dampened but again, instructions from Shure included tracking forces for brush up or brush down.

Not the greatest picture, dark area of the room so flash was automatic.

View attachment 1914129
Not true tracking is in the instruction I can find and post..
Here is from Stanton blurb, link to follow..
Longhair Brush® - All six come with a longhair brush. II is independenlly hinged so it will not interfere with the trocking force of the stylus while its tapered nylon brisl/es clean the grooves If cleans records efficienl/y ... damps tone-arm resonance ... improves low frequency tracking .. . dynamically stabilizes the tone arm system ,.. aids in the playback of warped records.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Stanton Product Catalog.pdf
Fairly clear it is far more than a record cleaner..
Chris
 
Last edited:
Stanton's hype notwithstanding, the brush's actual audible effect is nada. If you want to remove it, do so. Won't make a difference.

That said, it's ok if the brush protrudes from the headshell, and there is nothing wrong with how the stylus looks in the original picture.

To the OP. You've tried it both ways. Have your ears tell you what's right and do that.
 
Couple items - the recommended tracking force for the cartridge should be adjusted down one gram if you use the cartridge without the brush. That's in the small print of the manual.

Also, your overhang adjusted to spec? Moving the cartridge forward in the shell would certainly allow improved clearance on the brush.

And ... an OEM brush has drain wires in it to dissipate static - an aftermarket brush, not so much.
 
+1 on take it off.

I’ve had original and new vivid line stylus for the XV-15/625 cart from LP Gear.

The original brush is softer and noticeably so.

Could hear no difference with either.

Didn’t use the brush.

Try it at least.
 
Stanton's hype notwithstanding, the brush's actual audible effect is nada. If you want to remove it, do so. Won't make a difference.

That said, it's ok if the brush protrudes from the headshell, and there is nothing wrong with how the stylus looks in the original picture.

To the OP. You've tried it both ways. Have your ears tell you what's right and do that.
It will make a difference and this is proven it is why we have oil damping in arms which does similar, but the brush does it better. This is not an arguable point it is proven the brush helps the stylus track the groove, this was worked out decades ago, the only reason more companies did not use it was copyright, but Shure managed to do something similar spring loaded maybe that is how they got round it.
Chris
 
The brush on (soft brush) is not night and day, but the stylus does not wobble as much so contact surfaces are contacting grooves correctly more of the time. Like I said not night and day but there is a gain. Think about it stylus suspension is rubber and wobbling as the stylus tracks groove. Add the brush and the suspension you just added keeps the stylus contact surfaces at the angle they should be. This concept is well proven it is why Townsend exists.
Chris
 
Ooops, gotta check on the Stanton 680 on my Lenco L75 a bit closer. But I think it's clear?
IMG_20200618_193214.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom