• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pile o' drivers.

doucanoe

Registered Audio Abuser
A few weeks back, I was asking about the recone options for a pair of 15" Trusonic 150G's I was looking at. I thought that I was going to have those to play with at that time but we had time conflicts. It wasn't able to pick them up until last Wednesday.

He threw in a pair of JBL 131's and four EV T35 tweeters just for the halibut. All need work, but I might find a use for some of it.

The JBL 131's might make for an interesting mid bass driver with the right kits.

RC
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Those purple T-35s are really... something. Really. Something.
:-)


That's what I thought when I saw them. I have never seen anything consumer or pro that had purple T35's.

Actually Mark, I think that they are more lilac than purple. :p:

RC
 
A prosound company called Heil used purple T-35s, I used to have bunch of the things, gave then away to pals to use as ashtrays.
 
A few weeks back, I was asking about the recone options for a pair of 15" Trusonic 150G's I was looking at. I thought that I was going to have those to play with at that time but we had time conflicts. It wasn't able to pick them up until last Wednesday.

He threw in a pair of JBL 131's and four EV T35 tweeters just for the halibut. All need work, but I might find a use for some of it.

The JBL 131's might make for an interesting mid bass driver with the right kits.

RC
the mis matched horns (purple and gold ) are they EV T35 's also ? thanks
 
Thanks for the link Tom, i think it's paging brain cells of mine that are now toast. I used to drool over a lotta sunn stuff back in the day, had all the catalogs and iterature, and Bob Heil's name is familiar too but i'd have never made the connection nowadays.

I'm thinking those purple components are pretty rare these days, and most, if they could talk, could certainly tell some interesting stories.

There was a purple sunn branded 288 on ebay 6-8 weeks ago, i should have archived a pic as that was th first i'd seen in many years.

BTW, very nice group of components there RC!:thmbsp:
 
the mis matched horns (purple and gold ) are they EV T35 's also ? thanks


The gifter claimed they were. I will have to take one apart and check it out. The cover is a little different and the connectors allow for a speaker wire soldered connections.

I will pull them apart and take some pic's so you can get a better look.

RC
 
A prosound company called Heil used purple T-35s, I used to have bunch of the things, gave then away to pals to use as ashtrays.



I looked at the link and believe you. They seem to really like the color purple over there.


They might end up as ashtrays, who knows.

RC
 
Yes they're T-35s. The magnet cover is just like that used by Klipsch (and by Speakerlab, for that matter) on OEM T-35s.
 
A prosound company called Heil used purple T-35s, I used to have bunch of the things, gave then away to pals to use as ashtrays.

So you saying the T35 in general isn't all that great, or just the purple ones weren't great.. or were they just blown?

Bob is my wife's cousin... We just recently grabbed her organ lesson book from when she took lessons from him, with a lot of his handwritten notes in it.

Here's a link where he was just wishing her family his condolances when her father just died last week.. it's 6 entries down... http://www.legacy.com/Belleville/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=99485001

Cool to see someone that knows who he is and know his gear..
 
BTW, very nice group of components there RC!:thmbsp:



I would have to say interesting anyway. Some history to be sure.

I might check with Sixcats and see if he is liking his Trusonic 15's that GordonW reconed. I have no idea how they would test after the work. Same goes for the JBL 131's.

RC
 
Bowtie---Yeah, I remember that Jammin Jeresy used to have some purple Sunn drivers for sale, JBL 2440s maybe? Maybe 288s, I forget.

Remember that big JBL Sunn PA that was on ebay a while ago?

Sunn was great stuff, Leslie West used Sunn during Mountain's heyday, his sound roared.
 

Attachments

  • sunn 2.jpg
    sunn 2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 20
The T-35 is not the world's smoothest tweeter (nor the most extended). New diaphragms are (still) available.

I snag 'em whenever I find them because they are (somewhat inexplicably) valuable. Note: no, I don't find 'em that often, but I have a few... spares.
 
The T-35 is not the world's smoothest tweeter (nor the most extended). New diaphragms are (still) available.

I snag 'em whenever I find them because they are (somewhat inexplicably) valuable. Note: no, I don't find 'em that often, but I have a few... spares.



I spoke with Bob Crites a while back about replacement diaphragms for these. He has or had the replacements for them but I'm not sure what I would use them for. I'll come up with some plan for these eventually.

RC
 
Simi---I'm not aware that Heil's T-35s were different than any others. I was given 6 or 8 of the things, some worked and some were blown. They're OK tweeters but with the purple paint and all they just made great ashtrays. It was the times, know what I mean?
 
Back
Top Bottom