• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer announces it's leaving the stereo audio business.

Oh, there's good stuff out there, for sure. I would make the case, that the finest tube amps that have ever been made in the history of mankind, are being made right now (companies such as Rogue Audio, Manley, VAC and such).

BUUUUUUTTTT... the problem is, that people are looking in the WRONG PRICE RANGES for the good stuff. There's always been cheap crap. And there's always been good stuff- but it COST REAL MONEY, even back in the "old days". Compare inflation-adjusted prices- a Pioneer SX1250 was probably MORE "real money" than a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum is now, once you compensate for the value of the dollar...

People complain about the high-end audio industry being "too expensive"... while they're snapping up vintage items, that in their day, were JUST as expensive as what they're decrying now. How does that make sense???

Regards,
Gordon.

I agree with Gordon. In 1978 a Pioneer Series 20 A-27 sold for $1,250.00 that was some pretty heavy coin back then after you factor inflation + add the fact there was a full blown recession going on at that time. So would it be a stretch to say in today dollars an A-27 would cost 5-7k. Thats right in the price range the newer Yamaha retro intergrated amps are selling for right now.I think Pioneer saw this pool of buyers (us) was very small then factor in the ones that would actually pay to play the pool shrinks into a drop. Besides like someone here already said most think Hi-Fi is downloading music to phones & listening through $5.00 ear buds! RIP Pioneer.
 
People complain about the high-end audio industry being "too expensive"... while they're snapping up vintage items, that in their day, were JUST as expensive as what they're decrying now. How does that make sense???

Regards,
Gordon.

I don't care what the price of the gear was back then,I care what the price is NOW.That's how it makes sense!!!
 
Oh, there's good stuff out there, for sure. I would make the case, that the finest tube amps that have ever been made in the history of mankind, are being made right now (companies such as Rogue Audio, Manley, VAC and such).

BUUUUUUTTTT... the problem is, that people are looking in the WRONG PRICE RANGES for the good stuff. There's always been cheap crap. And there's always been good stuff- but it COST REAL MONEY, even back in the "old days". Compare inflation-adjusted prices- a Pioneer SX1250 was probably MORE "real money" than a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum is now, once you compensate for the value of the dollar...

People complain about the high-end audio industry being "too expensive"... while they're snapping up vintage items, that in their day, were JUST as expensive as what they're decrying now. How does that make sense???

Regards,
Gordon.
Great post, Gordon. You nailed the reality of the issue. Just spent two days listening to some of the best of what's currently available, and its really, really good.
 
so does anyone know what happens to the fairly popular / recommended Pioneer line of Andrew Jones speakers?

That is my only question as well. I have no attachment to the Pioneer brand, but those Andrew Jones speakers are an amazing value. It would be a pity to have them disappear from the market.
 
That is my only question as well. I have no attachment to the Pioneer brand, but those Andrew Jones speakers are an amazing value. It would be a pity to have them disappear from the market.

Maybe this is why it seems like there hasn't been a good sale on them in a while.
 
Maybe this is why it seems like there hasn't been a good sale on them in a while.

Makes me glad I snapped a bunch up when Amazon had a sale at ridiculously low prices earlier this year.

Just checked! Amazon is still selling them. The bookshelf, center, floorstanding and sub. It looks like a surround set, although they are not advertising them all in one place. Weird. I don't know if those are the "good" ones though, but the prices are pretty good.
 
Last edited:
Amazon has the bookshelves listed at 126.99. Only $3 off. Been keeping an eye out for a deal. Here's hoping for a good Black Friday price.
 
Amazon has the bookshelves listed at 126.99. Only $3 off. Been keeping an eye out for a deal. Here's hoping for a good Black Friday price.

My worry is that they wont make any more of them and they will run out. But I bet a lot of the designs will be appropriated by other brands.
 
frankly, their hifi lineup has been a weak showing for many years now. best taken out to a field somewhere and given quick end.
 
frankly, their hifi lineup has been a weak showing for many years now. best taken out to a field somewhere and given quick end.

I wouldn't know. I like the speakers. I haven't heard any modern Pioneer components since the 1990s. Back then the A/V receivers were the best of mid-fi easily besting Sony, Marantz, Yamaha and one more I used to listen to often but can't remember now.

I can't say I've ever heard any of the high end modern Pioneer stuff. The prices are certainly not high end. The highest cost stereo component is list price $700. You can't get 3 watts of SET amp for that much!

They deserve a listen, I think. If only because it could be the engineer's swan song and maybe they decided not to phone it in.
 
I think it was said before in this thread, the Pioneer name is not going to disappear from the A/V market over night - if at all - and neither are their current products.

You would expect that going forward Onkyo will integrate product development between their two sets of brands, but for the next couple of years there will still be new Pioneer developed A/V equipment coming out.

Mark Gosdin
 
It's OUR fault,
we keep the old gear alive and don't buy new ones.

Speak for yourself - I spent the equivalent of over 20K USD on audio this year and it was all brand spanking new. Granted, most of the preceding 4-5 years it was considerably less but I havent had the same amp/receiver for the past 20 years - all power to those who can do so.
 
Have you listened to them or just assuming? The Integrated Amps were quite nice for the price point they are at. People just assume things without any listening.

Sure one can get the 'old school' Pioneers that are bigger, at the same price, but by the time you restore, etc. one has spent WAY more money than the new ones. People NEVER take that into account.


I agree. The one example they had on the website has a list price of $299!! I would love to hear it vs the Outlaw integrated. I haven't looked for any reviews of it however.




Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
 
I agree. The one example they had on the website has a list price of $299!! I would love to hear it vs the Outlaw integrated. I haven't looked for any reviews of it however.

Sound and Vision's review of the Pioneer A-20 integrated amp....

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-pioneer-20-integrated-amplifier

Michael Fremer reviews Pioneer's Andrew Jones-designed speakers with the A-20 integrated amp....

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...signs-superb-sounding-budget-speakers-pioneer
 
... but by the time you restore, etc. one has spent WAY more money than the new ones. People NEVER take that into account.
I take it into account. That's why I've parted with most of my old gear. IMO, it's a fool's errand and there are better options out there.
 
I own one of those A-20 integrated amps. Listening to it right now in the office. I like it a lot. There's a polish site that measured it and it actually put out 50 wpc in 8ohms and 72 wpc in 4ohms at 1% THD. So it's underrated by the manufacturer. The only knock I have against it is no sub out and the matching SACD player (PD-10) isn't available in the USA. Seems like Pioneer of Europe does all the good stuff and we get a few bones tossed our way; that's what's sad.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom