• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer FM Tuner Alignment

Thanks for clarifying the location of adjustment for T2. I was adjusting the outer core then and it seamed to help. My ears are getting old, so some of that distortion is probably me.
 
I don't have the non metal tools for this. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm going to be working on an SX 1080 tuner. Can I buy a generic set and hope the right sizes will be included? What is the most economical and efficient way to buy these tools?
 
Last edited:
A friend of mine has an SX-980 that needs alignment which is what brought me to this thread. I would guess that there are fairly standard sizes used in all kinds of tuners because they're all using similar IF cans. There is probably a little kit out there that has the most common sizes. You might check Parts Express, Mouser, Digikey.
 
If you Google "Tuner Alignment Tools" you'll see the same 9-tool kit from a bunch of sellers for $12-$15. These are double ended so possibly up to 18 tools here. I'm betting it has everything for the typical tuner or receiver.
 
search ebay on "FM Tuner Alignment set" shown a set for $7 free shipping. It has many of the tools, but doesn't have one important one that allows you to go into the discriminator can and adjust the top slug or botton slug individually, And I also don't see the one that has a metal screwdiver blade in the nylon for tuning the RF adjustable caps. You can use a small regular screwdriver and just coat the metal with scotch tape so that it is non conductive. I will take a picture of the discriminator alignment tool and send it out tomorrow.
 
Better Still this set advertised on ebay has all of the tools you should need. It includes the set above, as well as 6 others that have the hex tools that allow you to adjust the bottom slugs in transformers. The cost of this set is $13 includes free shipping. Search ebay on the below string
VELLEMAN VTPT-VTCSS COMBO PACK ALIGNMENT TOOL SET FOR PC-RADIO-TV-HAM
 
Excellent. I have some kind of a set I got when tinkering with tube radios and I need to look and see if it has everything I need or whether I should grab one of these sets.
 
Attached are pictures of the most common tools I use.
Tool #1 is the JFD one I use for turning screws on RF caps on top of tuning coil as well as adjusting trim pots
Tool #2 is the most common hex tool for adjusting the RF coils as well as many of the IF and Descriminator transformers. It is Hex 0.075" with an undercut shaft allowing you to adjust top and bottom slugs seperate
Tool #3 is another hex cut with undercut as well, but a little larger. This is used on some IF transformers usually in the older SS and tube units
Tool #4 is another hex cut with undercut, and larger than previous 2. other end has a small Delrin plastic screwdriver tip used on some IF and MPX transformers. This hex is usually used on old tube receivers.
Tool #5 larger plastic tool with screwdriver tip on one side for adjusting RF Screw caps, the other end has recessed screwdriver tip for bournes trimpots

2nd picture shows a GC electronics 9304 tool. Real handy if you can find on. It has the recessed shaft hex 0.075 end, and a small screwdriver tip (plastic) on the other end.
5 alignment tools.jpg GC double end 9304.jpg
 
Tom, thanks for posting these photos. Does the #2 tool work for the SX 850/950 discriminator can, with the two slugs that can only be reached from the top? Is this in the Velleman set?
 
Yes the number 2 tool is what you need, and it looks like its included in the set (the green one)
 
Tom B - you are da man! I am currently restoring a NAD 1700 preamp (with a built in digital display FM/AM tuner), and used your information here, along with the service manual (I uploaded the PDF so it is now on hifiengine.com) to work the front end of the NAD. She is now spot on and tunes better than any other receiver I have. This post has been most helpful.
 
I cannot address the Marantz units. However, the Sansui 4000 is a larger variant of the 3000 within which I've been intimately involved in the tuner section. The 3000 used some germanium transistors which complicates it a bit. I am unsure of the 4000 also uses Ge devices, but the tuner uses a full discrete component ratio detector type circuit with OP amps and adjustable inductors. This allows for COMPLETE alignment of just about every stage of detection and separation.

The SX-750 uses a combination of ICs and discrete devices along with ceramic filters in the IF stages, allowing for limited but decent alignment is the filters are intact.

The SX-780 is similar to the 750 but has non-adjustable inductors in the front end so tracking/linearity adjustment is a real hassle. It is imperative that the tuner variable capacitor assembly is completely cleaned and lubricated properly on this type to avoid unnecessary adjustment of the VC plate gaps. The rest of the alignment is pretty straightforward and similar to the 750.

The Sansui 4000 is all silicon.
 
Hi all, I have a Panasonic RA-600 and the tuning dial is off, when I am listening to 105.9 the tuning dial sits at about 102. I have the service manual and tried a couple of tiny adjustments but not sure really what to try. The dial cord is perfect, I would rather not go that route. Any help appreciated, pics attached.

Thanks for any help,

Adam Farber
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4654.JPG
    IMG_4654.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4655.JPG
    IMG_4655.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 73
Hi all, by adjusting L104-FM OSC Coil I was able to move the tuning up to where it now is at the correct needle mark. It sounds great, strong signals but I lost the Stereo indicator light (it is a new bulb), can anyone look at my pictures and tell me what I may try to get the stereo indicator light back? Thanks, Adam
 
Many (including me) would be happy to look it over and offer suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to easily locate any support documents for the unit. Do you have a schematic, perhaps with a link?
 
I joined up just to say, Thanks for this thread I understand what’s happening and I was able to get my Sony lined up.

You guys rock!
 
I just found this write-up now.
What a super, well-written, concise explanation.

I'd just like to add that if you have a scope, then connect the probe to the Local Oscillator Mixer output, while you're doing the Low End and High End adjustments.
For some reason, this alignment method is hardly ever mentioned in the Service Manuals.
You can monitor real-time the lateral quality and vertical deflection, and obtain the cleanest signal possible.
It also takes care of the lack of a signal strength meter on a tuner.

M Yachad
CondorAudio
 
Back
Top Bottom