• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-530 found in a Denver GW!

Tarl Of Gor

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Mark your calendars, I found a PL-530 today at a Denver Goodwill! Never thought I'd ever see any vintage Pioneer gear in any Denver area Goodwill but picked one up today for $9.99. The dust cover is a little marked up but isn't cracked anywhere. Otherwise it looks like new. I also picked up a Marantz 2220 receiver along with it for $10.99. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them.
 
Register to hide this ad
I got one at a thrift last year for a few bucks, the clear cover on mine was scratched up but buffed out very nice after I buffed it. I gave it a few coats of lemon pledge and it now is the best looking cover i own. Great score hope you like it.
 
Here are some pics. I hooked it up, adjusted the tracking force, and put on a Neil Diamond record. Absolutely amazing how this sounds for $9.99. The Pickering cartridge looks and sounds awesome too! I would have to say that this is so far the best Denver GW score that I've run across.
 

Attachments

  • pl53021.jpg
    pl53021.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 82
  • pl53022.jpg
    pl53022.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 143
  • pl53023.jpg
    pl53023.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 80
  • pl53024.jpg
    pl53024.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 90
  • pl53025.jpg
    pl53025.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 100
Great score! I picked up a PL-560 without a cartridge for $20 bucks and I thought I was doing great but $10 for a PL-530 with a good Pickering is pretty amazing. That dust cover definitely looks savable too. Just polish it out and it'll be good to go.

John
 
I already had a PL-530 but I wasn't going to leave that one there. And I'm really liking this Pickering cartridge. :thmbsp:
 
Very nice score :) I don't come across to many tables at the thrifts, so a PL-530 would indeed be a rare find.
 
Excellent score! Great Table, and a killer cartridge. The 1200 stylus sounds amazing.......

Save up for a new Shibata stylus, and you'll be in audio nirvana.

Does the tonearm return all the way to it's rest when done? (Very easy fix if it doesn't)

Rob
 
Very nice score :) I don't come across to many tables at the thrifts, so a PL-530 would indeed be a rare find.

I was certainly surprised to find that at a GW and the reason I didn't leave it there. The Marantz receiver may need some work but I might try to delve into the electronics repair and restoration hobby with this one. I think it's worth fixing up seeing how it's the first Marantz I've owned.

Does the tonearm return all the way to it's rest when done? (Very easy fix if it doesn't)

So far it has every time. I can't believe someone just gave this TT to GW.
 
Hifirob2 mentioned that the PL530 tonearm not fully retutning to the cradle is an easy fix. I have searched the forum for a 'how to' and have come up empty. I also tried to download the service manual from vinylengine, but it won't open. Does anyone know the procedure? It stops about 1/4 inch short...

Thanxs..
 
Hifirob2 mentioned that the PL530 tonearm not fully retutning to the cradle is an easy fix. I have searched the forum for a 'how to' and have come up empty. I also tried to download the service manual from vinylengine, but it won't open. Does anyone know the procedure? It stops about 1/4 inch short...

Thanxs..

Yes. There is a small piece of foam on the mechanism that deteriorates over time. Turn the turntable over and place it on supports so that you can work on it (toilet paper rolls work good for this). Be sure it is resting on the base and not on any switches, knobs, or anything that can be damaged. Remove the bottom cover. Look closely at the tonearm mechanism. You will see some residue were a small foam piece used to be. You can make a new one from foam weather strip (hardware store), the kind with self-stick tape on it. Clean the residue off with a little lacquer thinner on a Q-tip (be careful not to get any on parts that could be damaged). Cut a piece of the weather strip about 1/4x1/4x1/4 inch and place where you removed the residue.

That'll do!

I know there is a post here with pictures. If you Google "Pioneer Pl-530 tonearm return" I think you can find it.



Jon
 
Thanks for the info on the tonearm adjustment. I did search for PL 530 tonearm adjustment but turned up nothing...I'll try a few variations.
Thanks again.
 
Thanks for the info on the tonearm adjustment. I did search for PL 530 tonearm adjustment but turned up nothing...I'll try a few variations.
Thanks again.

I googled "Pl-530 tonearm problem" and found it right away. There is a diagram of the mechanism in the thread.

Jon
 
I know the feeling. Picked up a beautiful PL-71 with Shure V15-III @ GW a while ago for $20. Yours was half the price and maybe even prettier....
 
So sweat. From stop to finish it took an hour to repair and that was taking my time. Here is a picture from a couple of months ago. I used a section of Magic Eraser cut with a Xacto blade. It was lightly sealed with Future Floor Polish then held in place with white glue. Perhaps rubber cement might be better but it is still holding.
 

Attachments

  • PL-630 fix.jpg
    PL-630 fix.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom