• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer pl-530 vs JVC QL-Y5F

Unfortunately no he's in a different state. Thanks for the link I sent him some info I found in the forum.

Just make sure he doesn't cut any corners. Also, make sure he insures it. I wouldn't want you to be out of some serious money.
 
You need to be very careful about buying a turntable that needs to be shipped. Even if it is insured, if it gets damaged and the shipper decides it wasn't properly packed, they will not cover it.

Ebay has a buyer protection plan that ensures no matter what, that if the item is damaged, the buyer is protected. You may have some protection if you pay with Paypal outside of Ebay, but I don't think it covers all situations.

I have bought dozens of turntables on Ebay, but I would have to be convinced that the seller really knows how to pack it before I bought one any other way.

If they say they will have it professionally packed, DO NOT buy it! Those supposed professionals know nothing about packing a turntable. They will likely throw it in a box with some peanuts.

Just my $0.02

Good luck!

Jon
 
Last edited:
BTW, I think that price is a bit high for that JVC. It would have to be pretty nice to bring that much on Ebay. Missing the mat is somewhat of a problem, but perhaps not a deal breaker, if the rest is really nice.

Actually, the Pioneer PL-530's often sell for more than the JVC's, but that's a reflection of popularity, not quality, IMHO

Jon
 
If it's packed WELL and in nice shape then the asking price is reasonable. Not a "steal" perhaps -- but not everything that one buys needs to be a "steal". It costs a lot (and takes a lot of time) for proper packaging and shipping of a fragile item like this, and I'd rather pay that than have the shipper attempt to skimp by re-using worn-out or inadequate boxes and packaging materials.

If this is the turntable that you want and you're satisfied with the seller's ability to ship safely, then I see no reason to not go ahead with the purchase.
 
If it's packed WELL and in nice shape then the asking price is reasonable. Not a "steal" perhaps -- but not everything that one buys needs to be a "steal". It costs a lot (and takes a lot of time) for proper packaging and shipping of a fragile item like this, and I'd rather pay that than have the shipper attempt to skimp by re-using worn-out or inadequate boxes and packaging materials.

If this is the turntable that you want and you're satisfied with the seller's ability to ship safely, then I see no reason to not go ahead with the purchase.

I think you're right about the price being reasonable. I was thinking it was $500 with shipping. My mistake!

Properly packing a turntable takes me more than an hour and costs about $15 - $20 in materials, so I also agree with being sure they don't skimp on packing/shipping. That's what it takes to do it right.

The trick is determining whether the seller gets what it takes to pack one and actually will comply with proper procedures for doing it.

No way to know for sure.

Jon
 
Thanks everyone, so i emailed the seller shipping instructions and he's unwilling to remove the dust cover and wrap it separately (got these instructions from the links provided here). Also not sure if he want to remove and pacake the platter separately, he does have insurance and he has the original box which I think he's going to use to ship it. Not sure if I'm asking to much... Or being to paranoid since the turntable looks in prestine condition. I am paying with PayPal and it is through eBay not sure if that makes a difference.
 
Along with all the advantages already listed, these tonearms and the likes of the Sony Bio Tracer, electronically provide the Vertical tracking force, so if you ever get a record with warps, it helps maintain a constant VTA. Along with the JVC QLY 5F I also own the JVC QLY66 F which if you were to find one within your budget would be a good alternative.
 
If he has the original box and packaging materials and they're in good condition, and he's willing to use them properly (including any necessary disassembly) then I wouldn't be worried. That disassembly would almost certainly include platter removal, and possibly armwand removal (if the QL-Y5F has a removable armwand) -- but possibly not dust cover removal. But still probably best to double-box, unless that original box is miraculously in PRISTINE condition (it probably isn't).

I would not purchase any turntable if the seller refuses to remove the platter. Too much potential for damage to the platter bearing.

Shipping insurance is for the shipper, not for the buyer. And it's unlikely to pay out for any damage to a turntable upon delivery, but might pay if the package is lost while in transit.
 
Last edited:
I also would be hesitant to buy a TT if the platter is not removed. I can and almost certainly will destroy the dustcover, spindle and tonearm because of the movement during transit. Originally, the platter would have been removed at the factory.

If I were you, I might wait for a better deal to come through locally or subscribe here and check bartertown. It just seems like the seller is wanting to cash in on the TT and not make a lot of effort to ensure it arrives safely to your home.
 
It is absolutely mandatory to remove the platter, no exception! Not only is it likely to come off in shipping, having it on can damage the spindle/bearing during the shipping process. These packages are often handled roughly and a heavy platter can put stress on the spindle/bearing. I am repairing a Pioneer PL-707 right now that has damage from being shipped with the platter on. The platter now wobbles on the spindle and the part of the spindle above the tapered bushing has come loose.

DON'T let him ship it that way!
 
Sorry, I should have added that the type of damage on the Pioneer PL-707 I'm working on is not likely to be covered by shipping insurance. There may be little or no damage to the package that shows it was mishandled. It would be a tough case to prove that what they did caused the damage. Of course if you are going through Ebay, the only thing you need to prove is that it was "not as described" for Ebay to take care of it.

Jon
 
Sorry, I should have added that the type of damage on the Pioneer PL-707 I'm working on is not likely to be covered by shipping insurance. There may be little or no damage to the package that shows it was mishandled. It would be a tough case to prove that what they did caused the damage. Of course if you are going through Ebay, the only thing you need to prove is that it was "not as described" for Ebay to take care of it.

Jon
Thanks for pointing out the eBay "not as described" info, gives me some peace of mind if it should become damage.
 
I emailed the seller about removing the platter for shipment, he did say the "turntable wheel" would be removed I'm guessing he's referring to the platter but I'm still having him confirm just in case. If he doesn't comply with this request I'm just going to skip this purchase and check out bartertown & CL
 
Along with all the advantages already listed, these tonearms and the likes of the Sony Bio Tracer, electronically provide the Vertical tracking force, so if you ever get a record with warps, it helps maintain a constant VTA. Along with the JVC QLY 5F I also own the JVC QLY66 F which if you were to find one within your budget would be a good alternative.
Man all of you guys have really sold me on this table
 
Man all of you guys have really sold me on this table

If all goes well, you're going to like it a lot. The switches on the front that operated the tonearm back and forth and up and down are too cool.
I also found that on my bouncy floors the servo arm helped.

Jon
 
I also own this JVC - really nice performer.
But as has been clearly stated - the proper pack is essential.
Don't know why he would balk at removing the cover. Red flag for sure.

Good luck - I hope you can persuade him to follow your instructions...you are after all buying his table.
 
So after some emailing back and forth with the seller he confirmed that he would remove the platter, secure the arm, and put some protection padding under the dust cover as to prevent any damage, he would also be double boxing it.

I decided to place the order and the turntable should be getting here in a week. Here's to hoping everything goes well in transit.
 
So after some emailing back and forth with the seller he confirmed that he would remove the platter, secure the arm, and put some protection padding under the dust cover as to prevent any damage, he would also be double boxing it.

I decided to place the order and the turntable should be getting here in a week. Here's to hoping everything goes well in transit.

Well, If you bought it on Ebay, you're protected just fine. I guess this seller doesn't understand that the things you are asking him to do are actually for his protection. If it's damaged he's the one that's going to take the loss. He will also have to pay for the return shipping if he wants it back. If he understood the Ebay Buyer Protection Plan he would do everything he could, within reason, to comply with your requests.

Let us know when you get it and hopefully it will be fine. Regardless of whether you are protected or not, I hate to see another one of these get trashed by someone who doesn't care enough to do it right.

I used to buy a lot of turntables on Ebay and even though most of them were not packed as well as they should have been, only a couple were damaged significantly.

Jon
 
Hi Everyone

So I received my record player today, from the looks of it everything made it intact, but I am having and issue with the tonearm not making it all the way to the record. Each time I press on the "Start" button it makes it close enough to the record but doesn't get there (see pic). The up and down button functions but the "left/right" don't seam to do anything. I don't want to physically move the arm onto the record for fear making it worst. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160419_201436.jpg
    IMG_20160419_201436.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom