• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL6-A Idler TT Capacitor Value

Greetings! After a few weeks of the PL-6A running fine, the startup speed has become sluggish. Before I replaced the Cap gadget73 suggested and it seemed to correct the problem. Now upon startup, I'm back to sluggish, inconsistent speed. 4 min running and it's pretty much back to steady. Is there a chance the cap needs to be larger? If I can try that, could someone suggest one to try? I'm still learning about values and meaning. Would a larger cap help with the speed issues? Member Metalonz says his PL-6A is up to speed within 1/2 turn, so I know it's possible. If there is a motor problem to consider, would the motor get to a good and steady speed at all? I think this little table has been abused so perhaps the motor was run without proper lubrication. I've never pulled and opened a motor.. maybe this is the time to learn. Thoughts? Should I try a larger Cap? Thanks for your time and consderations~
 
Is there another cap in there? Earlier pics in the thread indicate a larger round metal can which is what I'd expect to be used for the motor run and start cap. I can't see the full underside of yours but it looks like there is a yellow and orange pair of wires going off somewhere. What do they connect to?


The value is not a bigger is better sort of thing. Its sized to get the correct amount of phase offset based on the motor its connected to. Change the cap value and the offset changes, and that can cause the motor to vibrate more, run hot, not start, etc. Thats why it doesn't work right when the cap goes bad.
 
Ah, step-down transformer and voltage selector. 100v motor because Japan, transformer to let it be fed from 115 or 230 for stuff not sold in Japan. Makes sense.

Dunno, if the motor isn't mechanically sticky from old oil there isn't really much else in here. Unless that replacement cap is just completely unhappy with it's job and failed for some reason. No idea why it would, but stranger things have happened.
 
Back
Top Bottom