• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer RT-707 residue/cleaning help

jeeem

Active Member
I recently picked up a Pioneer RT-707, which is in good shape ... except for this peculiar crusty residue. It's almost like dried paper. Any idea of what it is, how it got there, or what's the best method for removing it?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 75
Register to hide this ad
Never saw that before, all I can think of is that maybe the previous owner ran a spool of old paper-backed tape, which self-destructed during play, through the deck. I would use a sharp-edged wood or plastic implement to dislodge as much of that crud as possible, then use good old Ronsonol lighter fluid, Q-Tips, and a microfiber rag to clean it up.
Good luck !
 
Looks like corrosion to me. Try windex first, then alcohol to try to dissolve it, and get most of the funk off. Then Magic Eraser and water.
 
I agree, it does look like corrosion.
I wonder what is that part made of , steel or aluminum... It looks like Fill form corrosion on Al.

You will need to mechanically remove this (scrape it and wet sand it) and then protect it. If aluminum, I would etch it and then alodine...
 
If memory serves, it may be coated plastic. Tread with care!! Dilute soapy water first on tissues.

Cheers

GPS16
 
That looks really odd. It looks like a viscous paste that has been left to harden. As suggested, I'd start with a plastic spudger, to avoid making the substrate, & try to remove as much of the debris as possible. Not sure what to try if it's too hard to dislodge. Once you've removed as much as possible try dissolving some of it in hot soapy water &, if successful, use a wet cloth to remove what's left on the facia. Always start off with gentle washes & move up to more aggressive agents bit by bit if required. Try to find an area that's not on show & try out the cleaning fluid. I eventually used glass cooker-hob cleaner to remove ingrained greay smudge marks from the main facia, which is a solid piece of aluminium - you wouldn't hit somebody over the head with it. :thumbsdown:

I've just tapped the parts around that area & reasonable sure they are all aluminium but seem to remember reading that they maybe coated in some way.

Good luck. Post your results.
 
Belated thanks to all. Turns out, it was indeed some kind of paper or adhesive. I removed the piece and found it was painted plastic. I soaked it in warm soapy water, and carefully scraped it off with a plastic scraper. Then I sanded it and used a silver metallic spray paint to restore the finish. Looks almost like new now!

IMG_6295.jpeg
 
The head cober is Aluminum but the surrounding parts are plastic. Look like a stick on foam adhesive if you ask me. Denatured would get that off.
 
Back
Top Bottom