• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer S-710

The DSS-9 is a much nicer speaker than the S-910 in every way. Every driver is significantly better, as is the crossover and cabinet. That's not to take away from the S-910 - it's a nice speaker! But the DSS-9 is on another level.
They sure share a lot in appearance, but obviously the drivers are much better. I've read the cones are the same, with the major difference being the cast frame for the DSS9 verse the stamped steel for the 910. Only difference, visually, that I could see between the 710 and the 910 woofers is the latter having a much larger VC and magnet. Frames seem to measure the same. I'm expecting a big difference in bass performance from the 910 woofer, though I still have to figure out what cabinet to use (that I have) or build from scratch.
 
Hi Copa,
Not sure where in "great northwest" you are located, but if you'd like to have my S910 woofer frames, you're welcome to them. The cones are/were both shattered so would need a recone somehow. I was going to try doing it by leaving the voice coil and spider installed and applying a new cone/surround to them. I know the TS parameters would change but figured I could remeasure and adjust the cabinet volume and tuning. I'll never do it, so the woofers are just taking space. The mids and tweets, as I mentioned, are filling the holes in the cabinets for me right now.

John
 
Bloody hell!

Cracked the cone on my 910 woofer! Noting the progression in the images, I cleaned one woofer pretty good. All that was left was removing some residue. I tried MEK (big mistake) first and it appeared to be removing the graphite (was turning the Q-tip the same color). So stopped right away. Went to paint thinner, much safer, and it was softening the residue nicely. Some was sticking so I used my finger nail (you'd think that would be safe), and I was going along pretty good. Then "snap". Sure enough a crack. However, not all is lost. It was less than 1/2" from the lip in. I sterilized the area, then put some super glue on the crack and flexed it a little to work it into the crack. The crack is now only visible under a lighted magnifying glass. I've put some Gorilla Glue over that (treated on front and back of cone).

Possibly this weekend I'll install the rubber surrounds. I'm hoping it holds, but sure does make me want to bang my head. I've installed surrounds on many "composite" woofers, but NONE were messed up like these, so these were quite a larger challenge.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1740.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1742.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 75
Good lord,wth!
I just cried a little when I saw those. :(

I have the DSS-9D,S910 and S710.They are all very nice and all sound very similar.The DSS-9D obviously the most refined.(and heavy)

The mirror imaging of the drivers creates a great soundstage.They all hit deep and clarity of mids and treble is stunning with good recordings.

They all measure very well with the DSS9 having a small deep bass bump due to the dual voicecoil woofer and an electronic bass bosst network in the crossover.

I wouldnt want to have the DSS9 without its factory woofers but the S710 probably wouldnt suck with a good replacement woofer.The polygraphite one is pretty fine though.

Really the only thing that would truly improve the 710 or 910 would be rounded edges on the cabs.(like the DSS9)

They got everything else right as it can get for a monkey coffin. :)
 
I also had to refoam all of mine.It was scary but not difficult.They were actually easy to prep because they were stiff.
I was more than a little worried about cracking one but all went well. :)

Rubber surrounds will probably change them a little...maybe play a hair deeper and less efficient...maybe no different.
The 710 with foam surrounds measures really flat from 35 hz to above 20k.
 
I also had to refoam all of mine.It was scary but not difficult.They were actually easy to prep because they were stiff.
I was more than a little worried about cracking one but all went well. :)

Rubber surrounds will probably change them a little...maybe play a hair deeper and less efficient...maybe no different.
The 710 with foam surrounds measures really flat from 35 hz to above 20k.
I'm getting ready to glue the surround on one of the 910 woofers. I'll post images, possibly this weekend. I'll begin work on the other woofer, but thankfully with more experience under my belt. First time I've damaged a driver and thank goodness it was one of my own and not someone else's (I repair speakers for people). I'll know more, after playing them, how well the repair works out.

I've read so many great reviews of the DSS and TAD line of speakers. Would be way cool to acquire a pair, but only if I don't get a pair of QLS first.
 
Glue on brother,glue on. ;)

The DSS-9 is the only speaker I have owned so far that I see no reason to sell or look for an upgrade.

It would take a pretty sophisticated speaker to get me to part with the 710s and 910s.

An electrostatic with subwoofer might edge them out. :)

Not super dooper top of the line but definately well above average.
 
Glue on brother,glue on. ;)

The DSS-9 is the only speaker I have owned so far that I see no reason to sell or look for an upgrade.

It would take a pretty sophisticated speaker to get me to part with the 710s and 910s.

An electrostatic with subwoofer might edge them out. :)

Not super dooper top of the line but definately well above average.
I was so freaking busy this weekend. Had to do some roof repairs (before winter hits) and reorganizing the man cave. The latter to due to accumulation of speakers. Piss poor for serious listening. Make some solid progress, but not done yet. I'm really looking forward to some quality time with the 710. In all this work I discovered an issue with the HPM-100. Imaging wasn't right. Pair of HPM-60, inverted and on top of the 100, blew away the 100 with imaging. I'll have to check polarity of the drivers. Might have one that is not correct. I've read that there were late model 100 (prior to the 200 watt variety) that had their polarity changed. However, I believe the networks on mine were identical, plus I recapped both. Still, I might have crossed wires.
 
Based on everything I have read online,the HPM 60 would probably suit me better than the 100.

Havnt heard either one yet.

I have some CS a 500s that sound pretty nice and I was able to refoam the tweeters.But that recessed front and no mirror imaging is killing me.
I have a little woodshop tho and some nice walnut.Should be easy to mirror them and move the controls to the back.
I just cant listen to non mirrored speakers anymore. :)
 
Based on everything I have read online,the HPM 60 would probably suit me better than the 100.

Havnt heard either one yet.

I have some CS a 500s that sound pretty nice and I was able to refoam the tweeters.But that recessed front and no mirror imaging is killing me.
I have a little woodshop tho and some nice walnut.Should be easy to mirror them and move the controls to the back.
I just cant listen to non mirrored speakers anymore. :)
Thought about doing the mirror with my 60's. One has severe separation at the bottom and the second isn't much better. A AK member did a mirror with some Nova 7b or Nova 8b, can't recall which now, and they turned out nice. Simply used the baffle to cut new baffles, simply turning it over to make the mirror. I could easily do the same.

After I get the 100 corrected I'll be able to do a better eval, but I have at times liked the 60 better. However, bass and mid bass are stronger with the 100.
 
Bye bye HPM-100

Had a friend over to "audition" speakers. He'd been bugging me about my HPM's and Bose 501 speakers. Going back and forth between the S-710 and 100 I began to appreciate the 710 more and more.

Without question the HPM have tons of bass, but when compared to other speakers, and paying closer attention to what was playing, the 710 seemed to be more natural, more authentic, where the HPM tended to be more like what you would expect in a bar, a lounge or any place where exaggerated bass makes people happy.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying they are bad speakers. When it comes to music that is softer in the bass region, the HPM bring out more. When a piece is already bass heavy (some selections were George Michael:Faith, Nickleback:All the right reasons, Ronstadt:What's New, Michael Jackson:Dangerous) then things get a tad over the top with the bottom end. Chest pounding may be cool, fun, etc. but I'm more into what I'm listening to than what I'm feeling.

To me the 710 are better behaved, being reserved where it counts. Without question the tweeter works to the advantage of the 710, not to mention the mirror imaging of the speakers. I hope the 910 I'm anticipating picking up will be mirror image. Need woofers, but I have a pair already rubberized (instead of foam). The 710 have been rubberized as well.

The herd has been thinned (he'll be picking up the 501 as well after his next payday). The kitty will be refreshed and I can move onto to other projects. Need to get going on the Bose 601 II, which I do have a good start on now.

More on the 710 later.
 
Home Theater experience.

I don't want for this post to get clouded by a different application of these speakers, so I'll just reference a new post in the home theater forum.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8632223#post8632223

Paired with the 910 as mains, these speakers really make for a excellent HT experience. Best to date, so far.

Oh, why put 910/710 speakers in HT duty? First, I don't think this a negative but rather leveraging their respective strengths. I do, after all, listen to music on that system as well. The other reason is both have been supplanted by DSS9 speakers I recently completed work on. Not much work, just installing rubber surrounds, like the 710 and 910.
 
Back
Top Bottom