• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SM-q140 tube receiver ?

adreniline

New Member
I am looking at a Pioneer SM-q140 Receiver 1960 vintage. Anybody know anything about these, I can't find any information on internet. Buddy wants $250 for it. Should I buy or pass it up.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know anything about the Pioneer but for $250, you could get a known quantity like a Fisher....with a little shopping.
 
Some of the old Pioneer and Kenwoods were real beauties, and go for way more than $250. Some of them had art deco looking faces, with tube tuning indicators and independent gauges for AM and FM. Beautiful pieces. I would love to own one myself. That being said, there were some Pioneer pieces that I wouldn't pay that kind of money for at all. If the piece looks so-so, it's probably nothing special. Take a look at the transformers in it, if they're really nice and beefy, that's a good sign. If they're "open frame" without end bells, or smallish, or the thing doesn't weigh a lot, I'd pass. Like jcmjrt says, there is a lot of decent "known quantity" vintage gear at the $250 price point. All of it needs resoration, even if it currently "works". That should also factor in to your decision, how much restoration/modification this piece has.

Good luck, tubes are fun!
 
eek! I can't believe anyone didn't spot this! The first stereo receiver pioneer ever made!
 
Last edited:
granted its got collector appeal for being the first pioneer receiver but at $250 its a bit overpriced considering all the old PIO caps that need to be replaced.
 
Mr. Carlson's lab the engineer, who has a YouTube channel has this exact model.
He is going to overhaul it. All the info you need by watching him. Very smart dude!

 
This thread is about 12 years old, so the OP has probably resolved the buying question.

I have a later, monster, Pioneer tube receiver, SX82 and it was a PITA to restore.

But, I’ll watch this lab restoration with interest.
 
Mr. Carlson's lab the engineer, who has a YouTube channel has this exact model.
He is going to overhaul it. All the info you need by watching him. Very smart dude!

That's nice, but still not a great reason for bumping a thread over a decade old and inactive. :P
 
Why is it wrong to post into an old thread? If it is relevant to the subject title, it seems like it might be preferable to keep things in one place rather than adding more threads about the same subject. Just wondering.
John
 
With the new Carlson video, it’s not inactive now.

And, welcome RonnieP1970.

Edit: not a lot of information in the video really, as it’s just an introduction to a future restoration .
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom