• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, the real deal or hype?

I primarily use mine for near field use with my computer in a 11x11 foot room, and I run them with a little 7 watt T-amp, along with two subs. It works great. I sometimes use them in my main system, and they benefit from more power there. I was using them in my main system last night with a 200wpc amp and three subs.
 
Guys, thanks for the replies! It looks like I have my target set on this pair, and going to have to wait for Bestbuy/Amazon/Fry's to have it on sale (from what I have read, these stores often have the BS-22 on sale for $79-$99).

As for the amp, I have seen some suggestions for the Lepai T-amp too but some are saying that the 20W isn't enough to drive the speaker. But like I said, the speaker will be in a pretty small room (10x8) and it will be used for nearfield listening, so it's great to hear that the Lepai amp will work just fine!

I don't think I will ever need a subwoofer, I usually use my IEM earphone for heavy bass.

Besides the amp, do I need to get any cable to hook up the speaker to the amp, and the amp to my computer? Any useful guide for this kind of installation that has been posted previously would be greatly appreciated!!
 
Most PCs use a 1/8" jack, so you would need either a male to male 1/8" cable, or a 1/8" to stereo RCA cable. The Lepai takes both. Then you would need standard speaker wire (bare wire) from the Lepai to the speakers, and of course a place to plug in a power brick. :)

The Lepais come with only a 2A power supply; they will sound better (and more likely approach their rated 20W) with a 4A-5A supply, though it sounds fine at lower volumes as is. I am currently running with the stock 2A supply, but I did test it with a bigger one when I first got it and it did sound better.

IBJamon
 
The Lepai is a decent sounding amp, I have one, but by the time you buy it and a more powerful power supply, for not that much more, you can buy a SMSL SA-36A, which is what I'm currently using to power the Pioneers, and it is considerably better looking and better built, with actual binding posts, and no tone controls, and it comes with a proper power supply, it's about $49 shipped. They use the same chip, and do pretty much sound the same though.

I found the analog audio out on many computers to not sound all that great. I'd consider at some point, a USB DAC assuming your sound card doesn't have a digital output. Mine does, so it runs to a Harman Kardon AVR 330 that functions as my DAC and sub controller. From the h/k's preamp outs, it goes to a Little Bear P1 preamp, and then to the SMSL SA-36A.

These small T-amps do sound better and more powerful with a preamp in front of them, though they can be used stand alone of course.

This is my computer setup:

attachment.php

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
That looks nice! Though if I had an AVR like that for my desk, I'd probably just use those amps... ;)

If you have crappy onboard sound (not all is crappy!) then a DAC or decent sound card is a good idea. Asus makes good sound cards. I found my PC's 'purity sound' to be good enough for me (it's onboard, but is shielded, with SNR >100). Bottom of the barrel onboard sound can be really bad...

IBJamon
 
Most PCs use a 1/8" jack, so you would need either a male to male 1/8" cable, or a 1/8" to stereo RCA cable. The Lepai takes both. Then you would need standard speaker wire (bare wire) from the Lepai to the speakers, and of course a place to plug in a power brick. :)

The Lepais come with only a 2A power supply; they will sound better (and more likely approach their rated 20W) with a 4A-5A supply, though it sounds fine at lower volumes as is. I am currently running with the stock 2A supply, but I did test it with a bigger one when I first got it and it did sound better.

IBJamon

Is any of the 1/8" male to male or 1/8" to RCA better than the other one? They are just the same cable with different connector, right? Is it advisable to connect my headphone/earphone to the amp directly whenever I need to use them? I have never owned an amp so my headphone/earphone has been connected directly to my computer sound card all this while.

The power supply that you are saying, is the power adapter that connects the amp to the power plug on the wall right? If I were to buy it on amazon, it does come with the 2A power supply like you said right? Because I watched a review video of this amp on youtube, it seemed like the power supply was not included in the package. Just want to be sure.

The Lepai is a decent sounding amp, I have one, but by the time you buy it and a more powerful power supply, for not that much more, you can buy a SMSL SA-36A, which is what I'm currently using to power the Pioneers, and it is considerably better looking and better built, with actual binding posts, and no tone controls, and it comes with a proper power supply, it's about $49 shipped. They use the same chip, and do pretty much sound the same though.

I found the analog audio out on many computers to not sound all that great. I'd consider at some point, a USB DAC assuming your sound card doesn't have a digital output. Mine does, so it runs to a Harman Kardon AVR 330 that functions as my DAC and sub controller. From the h/k's preamp outs, it goes to a Little Bear P1 preamp, and then to the SMSL SA-36A.

These small T-amps do sound better and more powerful with a preamp in front of them, though they can be used stand alone of course.

This is my computer setup:

attachment.php


This amp is indeed better looking that the lepai but I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible :) Thanks for the suggestion but at the moment I don't think I would need all the instruments that you have there. Any suggestion for the speaker wire (the affordable ones :D)?

One more question though, it should be fine to put the speaker on your computer desk right? Like right next to the monitor. I am guessing that it is your personal preference to put them on the stands.
 
Last edited:
I'm not a believer in 'cable sound' too much. Just buy something that's of reasonable thickness. I use 12-14 gauge speaker wire, though if the run is short, 16 or even smaller should be fine. Same thing with the 1/8" cable. If you are going to order online, I prefer Monoprice's premium line cables. If not, just use whatever you have locally; no sense in spending too much on a $125 system.

The $25 Amazon kits do have the 2A power supply included.

IBJamon
 
How loud are you cats able to play your -22's before you hear the woofer start to distort? Sitting about nine feet away from the plane of the front baffles and with eight feet between them I'm hearing some LF distortion at about 85 db with bass heavy recordings. I have no tone controls or EQ.
 
How loud are you cats able to play your -22's before you hear the woofer start to distort? Sitting about nine feet away from the plane of the front baffles and with eight feet between them I'm hearing some LF distortion at about 85 db with bass heavy recordings. I have no tone controls or EQ.

In my computer room, it's pretty much a near field setup as you can see in the pics. With a 7wpc t-amp, it gets plenty loud, but I have no way to measure the SPL. In my main setup in a room that's 13x19 feet, with the speakers about 6 feet from the front wall, and about 6 feet apart, with me about 7 or so feet from the front baffle they get loud, I'm sure over 85db, but again I have no way to get accurate measurements of just how loud.

I was running them with a 200wpc B&K the other night at what I consider to be quite high volume levels. I used a 80hz high pass on real bass heavy material like Madonna's 'Justify My Love', because I don't want to send the cone flying across the room.:D But on normal material I can run them wide open with no high pass and haven't heard any protest from the woofers, or any noticeable distortion. Your room and listening distance is greater than mine though, so 85db in your setup may equal 88db + in mine.
 
Using a real world reference, I'd say mine start to lose composure with bass heavy material right about where the volume would start to intrude on normal conversation levels.
 
Using a real world reference, I'd say mine start to lose composure with bass heavy material right about where the volume would start to intrude on normal conversation levels.

Hmmm, that's not all that loud, but I figured that 4" driver is not going to like to be played all that loud with really bass heavy material.

On nights that I get into that type of music, I know it's generally going to be played pretty loud, I always use a high pass crossover of 80hz on them. I figure they aren't digging a whole lot deeper than that anyway so it's just pushing the woofers excursion a lot more for not much gain. I let the 3 subs handle that.

Now, if I'm in a more mellow oldies type of mood, I can play them full range without any noticeable issue. I almost always listen to music well beyond normal conversation levels.
 
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak.../4-inch-Cherry-Bookshelf-Speakers-pair/1.html

These are a little more than the Pioneers but I bet they would sound as good if not better - the Coincident drivers on the new KEF's are great.


Those look nice, and may very well sound better than the Pioneers, but comparing to what I paid for my two pair, one pair for $99, and one for just $79, The Kefs are 4 and 5 times the price. Not exactly a "little more".:D

Still though, $400 isn't really an expensive speaker so I see what you mean.
 
How loud are you cats able to play your -22's before you hear the woofer start to distort? Sitting about nine feet away from the plane of the front baffles and with eight feet between them I'm hearing some LF distortion at about 85 db with bass heavy recordings. I have no tone controls or EQ.

With my T-Amp, I was able to push them into compression in a larger room more quickly than I was comfortable with. I have not yet tested them on a proper amp yet, so I don't know where the problem lies just yet. Nearfield this is not an issue at all.

IBJamon
 
Hmmm, that's not all that loud, but I figured that 4" driver is not going to like to be played all that loud with really bass heavy material.

On nights that I get into that type of music, I know it's generally going to be played pretty loud, I always use a high pass crossover of 80hz on them. I figure they aren't digging a whole lot deeper than that anyway so it's just pushing the woofers excursion a lot more for not much gain. I let the 3 subs handle that.

Now, if I'm in a more mellow oldies type of mood, I can play them full range without any noticeable issue. I almost always listen to music well beyond normal conversation levels.

A high pass of 80 Hz would almost certainly take care of what I'm experiencing. I have such limited experience with 2-ways that have woofers less than 5" (being run almost full range) I just have no idea what to expect. I really need a HPF of some sort for when I'm running them with the subs. What are you using, Steve? The xover in your AVR?
 
A high pass of 80 Hz would almost certainly take care of what I'm experiencing. I have such limited experience with 2-ways that have woofers less than 5" (being run almost full range) I just have no idea what to expect. I really need a HPF of some sort for when I'm running them with the subs. What are you using, Steve? The xover in your AVR?

Yeah, I use an AVR (Pioneer VSX-1121-K) as a preamp, since my main room is also my home theater and I have the options of running the speakers "small" which puts a variable high pass on the mains of the same value between the mains and subs, or you can run them full range and select a cut off point for the subs.

They can get a lot louder when not asked to play the deepest bass, at least when the music has a lot of bass content. Even with a 200wpc amp, I haven't been able to drive them into power compression that I've noticed, so long as I use a high pass, or the music doesn't have heavy bass.
 
400 bucks is nothing for a nice decent set of speakers. I think the KEF's are being overlooked and the box and all are so well built (I have the KEF C300's) and all I can say is WOW.

I think there needs to be a thread for new, inexpensive bookshelf speakers.

No, $400 isn't expensive at all for a nice speaker. I was just saying that technically it is 4 and 5 times what I paid for my Pioneers. It just seems Pioneer really raised the bar on cheap, but great sounding speakers, but the Kefs are not expensive or out of line price wise at all.

Actually, Pioneer probably could have sold these speakers for quite a bit more than they do, and very few would feel ripped off.
 
Yeah, I use an AVR (Pioneer VSX-1121-K) as a preamp, since my main room is also my home theater and I have the options of running the speakers "small" which puts a variable high pass on the mains of the same value between the mains and subs, or you can run them full range and select a cut off point for the subs.

They can get a lot louder when not asked to play the deepest bass, at least when the music has a lot of bass content. Even with a 200wpc amp, I haven't been able to drive them into power compression that I've noticed, so long as I use a high pass, or the music doesn't have heavy bass.

I had them playing all day yesterday (without subs on) while doing some work in the listening space/garage and was streaming a local radio station that plays an extremely wide variety of music spanning the last fifty years. I had them up pretty loud....probably at least 85 db.....and that's when I noticed the bass heavy mixes were taking a toll on the little 4" woofers. But there was no shortage of times when I stopped what I was doing just to admire the LF capability the little bastards could demonstrate. And they did a beautiful job with some old recordings like Judy Garland, Marty Robbins, Robert Johnson, Everly Brothers, old New Orleans jazz, etc....stuff I don't really listen to but still enjoy hearing.
 
I just bought the BS21's (the metal grills) not realizing they were the original set for $60 on Newegg's 48-hr deal over the weekend (should arrive Wednesday). I almost don't want them now realizing that the 22's have different woofer/tweeters.

So my question is: Is there a huge difference, or a small difference between the first and second iterations? I'm going to still try them out to see if I'm "blown away".

I also have the Polk M30's (paid about $100 for them) and will be comparing the BS21's to them since they are both entry level/priced speakers. I don't find my M30's anything special really and are surround duty since they don't cut it for "music" speakers. They aren't bad speakers, they just make music sound "great". So I'll be able to throw in my two cents for those wanting more opinions between the two brands.

There will be two outcomes with these speakers with the same middle road:
1. Either I'm not impressed with them and send them back for a refund (I don't need another cheap set of speakers laying around the house).
2. Or, I'm impressed enough to send them back.....and get the BS22's or 44's to get the more refined sound.

They had better pull a mighty hat trick since I really don't like BORING black speakers/audio gear (they look like every OTHER generic audio, cheap or expensive). Maybe AJ will offer different color vinyls if he comes out with another version.
 
Last edited:
I considered buying a pair, but I already have two pairs of bookshelf speakers that I rarely use and sound pretty good to me. They are Boston Acoustics A40's and Sony SS B-1000's. I am glad that most of you like what you have bought. Peace and goodwill.
 
Back
Top Bottom