• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer Spec 1 Transistor Rebuild

No those are correct, you're confused by the direction of the arrow. If the arrow( emitter) goes into the circle its a PNP if to goes out its an NPN like in the previous posted drawing.

1771442315809-png.3702765
 
Those TO-220 package transistors are the same Pinout. They will install the same as the original.
The collector on the TO-220’s is the middle leg and the flange that the mounting screw hole is. This is important to know.
You are on the right track. This hobby has many knowledge paths and each needs to be explored. It’s not a waste to learn and apply your new found skills.
 
Those TO-220 package transistors are the same Pinout. They will install the same as the original.
The collector on the TO-220’s is the middle leg and the flange that the mounting screw hole is. This is important to know.
You are on the right track. This hobby has many knowledge paths and each needs to be explored. It’s not a waste to learn and apply your new found skills.
I kind of figured that since they can only attach to the heat sink one way. Good to know but still puts me in a bad place. I might just buy a new used Power Supply Board from Ebay.
 
I kind of figured that since they can only attach to the heat sink one way. Good to know but still puts me in a bad place. I might just buy a new used Power Supply Board from Ebay.
That's not a guarantee.
Loosen up harnesses to gain what you need for access.
I bet he board has been through a war.
Still. Try to salvage it.

Power Supply Board (AWR-094)
Old list may need equivalents.

AWR-094: C1: 100uF 63v CEA: 647-UPW2A101MHD 100uF 100v
AWR-094: C2: 100uF 63v CEA: 647-UPW2A101MHD 100uF 100v
AWR-094: C5: 220uF 35v CEA: 647-UPW1H221MPD 220uF 50v
AWR-094: C6: 470uF 50v CEA: 647-UPW1J681MHD3 680uF 63v
AWR-094: C7: 470uF 50v CEA: 647-UPW1J681MHD3 680uF 63v
AWR-094: C10: 100uF 50v CEA: 647-UPW2A101MHD 100uF 100v
AWR-094: C11: 220uF 25v CEA: 647-UPW1H221MPD 220uF 50v
AWR-094: C12: 330uF 25v CEA: 647-UPW1V331MPD 330uF 35v

Q1: 2SD313: 863-MJE15032G
Q2: 2SB507: 863-MJE15033G
Q3: 2SC869: 512-KSC2383YTA
Q4: 2SA628: 512-KSA1013YBU
Q5: 2SC945: 512-KSC2383YTA
Q6: 2SA628: 512-KSA1013YBU
Q7: 2SD313: 863-MJE15032G
 
That's not a guarantee.
Loosen up harnesses to gain what you need for access.
I bet he board has been through a war.
Still. Try to salvage it.

Power Supply Board (AWR-094)
Old list may need equivalents.

AWR-094: C1: 100uF 63v CEA: 647-UPW2A101MHD 100uF 100v
AWR-094: C2: 100uF 63v CEA: 647-UPW2A101MHD 100uF 100v
AWR-094: C5: 220uF 35v CEA: 647-UPW1H221MPD 220uF 50v
AWR-094: C6: 470uF 50v CEA: 647-UPW1J681MHD3 680uF 63v
AWR-094: C7: 470uF 50v CEA: 647-UPW1J681MHD3 680uF 63v
AWR-094: C10: 100uF 50v CEA: 647-UPW2A101MHD 100uF 100v
AWR-094: C11: 220uF 25v CEA: 647-UPW1H221MPD 220uF 50v
AWR-094: C12: 330uF 25v CEA: 647-UPW1V331MPD 330uF 35v

Q1: 2SD313: 863-MJE15032G
Q2: 2SB507: 863-MJE15033G
Q3: 2SC869: 512-KSC2383YTA
Q4: 2SA628: 512-KSA1013YBU
Q5: 2SC945: 512-KSC2383YTA
Q6: 2SA628: 512-KSA1013YBU
Q7: 2SD313: 863-MJE15032G
Yep, those are 100% the exact same parts that I ordered and installed all correctly except for the one KSC2383YTA that I put in backwards them flipped around.
 
Yep, those are 100% the exact same parts that I ordered and installed all correctly except for the one KSC2383YTA that I put in backwards them flipped around.
Which location was that part put in backwards? It might have contributed to other parts going bad.

nashou
 
Which location was that part put in backwards? It might have contributed to other parts going bad.

nashou
It was installed in the only place it was supposed to be in. Maybe Q3 but I don't know how to read a schematic. If you look at this photo it is the transistor with the white paint on top of it. I believe it blew the Zenor Diode as discussed earlier and I installed a new diode and started getting voltage readings on pins 1 thru 5 but not the correct voltages. Someone stated that I may of used the wrong voltage Zenor Diode but there are absolutely no numbers on it so I don't know how to tell other than they are totally identical.
 

Attachments

  • c82d5dfa-78f3-4c73-8649-b63027882093.jpg
    c82d5dfa-78f3-4c73-8649-b63027882093.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 10
You will have to somehow figure out how to read a schematic for us to help ;)

But since in an earlier post it was stated that Q3 and Q5 use that KSC2383YTA.

I dont have the schematic but maybe one of the others such as @zebulon1 can point out which one it is.
I'll see if I can down load the schematic, at work so it wont be till I get home.

Athanasios
 
Glad folks are helping you. A few points of procedure from a fellow very amateur restorer...

0. Do one transistor at a time.
1. Photograph each transistor before you remove it in a way that shows its alignment ...and number if possible.
2. Get one of those cheap component testers. When you remove a transistor keep its pins aligned as they are on board. Put it in the tester. It will give you the pinout. Compare that with the board markings.
3. Check the replacement in the tester. Form the pins on the replacement as needed (it may be a different pinout and different bending regime.
4. solder it in
5. Start it up on a dim bulb tester and see if it's ok.

You can bump that to 2 or 3 transistors at a time. That's a manageable backtrack number to find an error.
Also keep checking the sound.
 
1771550877354.png

The resistors on the blue box do not pass visual inspection (R5-R6), if they are open you will see full positive rail voltage on pins 1~5. I strongly suggest to be tested with DMM and post the values. IF the OP do not know how, just ask.

If you guys need me to identify the Emitter, collector/ base on the board just ask.

Source:

Page 33 service manual and post #7

1771551326781.png

1771551464580.png
 
View attachment 3703739

The resistors on the blue box do not pass visual inspection (R5-R6), if they are open you will see full positive rail voltage on pins 1~5. I strongly suggest to be tested with DMM and post the values. IF the OP do not know how, just ask.

If you guys need me to identify the Emitter, collector/ base on the board just ask.

Source:

Page 33 service manual and post #7





HIPOCRATES

OK SO YES I WAS CORRECT IT WAS Q3 THAT NEEDED TO BE FLIPPED AFTER BEING INSTALLED WRONG.

I will double checked the resistors and here is what I found in the order I have them marked in the picture below. Using a standard Ohm meter and left in circuit.

1 - 2.78
2 - 7.98
3 - 2.65

1771558349537.png

I am 100% good on the ECB's and BCE;s. That's how I figured out which ones I originally installed wrong.
 
1 - 2.78
2 - 7.98
3 - 2.65
The usually go open... and measure on legs with the Ω setting

1771559155879.png

This should be the values. more that 5% off of the nominal values and they are done and should be replaced, but to be honest, to have a resistor looking like those on the left is not acceptable, specially on a very nice preamp power supply. IMO

1771559221226.png
 
Last edited:
The usually go open... and measure on legs with the Ω setting

View attachment 3703831

This should be the values.

OK, they shall be then. Going to replace the Zener Diodes and the Q3 Transistor I put in backwards as well. I might even replace some of my friends while I am at it.

Is there anything else you would recommend I replace?

Thanks for all your help
 

Attachments

  • e4bf3558-c1ff-4048-9ac8-dd0c89454467.jpg
    e4bf3558-c1ff-4048-9ac8-dd0c89454467.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 14df9ca8-bdb5-4d8b-9026-4b7607efc99a.jpg
    14df9ca8-bdb5-4d8b-9026-4b7607efc99a.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 6
Can someone give me the 100% correct PINOUT of the 2SC945 Transistor. These are old and no longer produced and I have researched on line and found confliction data because AI is stupid.

Thank You
 
If I can re-up my suggestion in #29 above to get yourself one of these cheap component testers. They give you pinout of what you are removing (as long as it's not blown). So you don't need to guess or search the AI-poisoned internet or wait for true knowledge from AK experts for pinouts. I spent $16 on this one because it had a plastic case. If I had to do it again, I'd splurge $29 on this one for the attachments. These aren't pro tools like the Peaks. They are just to give you a quick check of components coming out and going in. Really essential for beginners.

61FgayXzl4L._SL1001_.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom