• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-1080 phono sections

tmccullough

You are who, who you are
I fired up my TT this AM after swapping out my Sansui 4000 with my bigger, badder SX-1080. I was dismayed to hear almost no volume coming out of the speakers. The FM volume is A-OK, the AUX works quite well, but I've got nothing from the phono section. Is there something I'm missing, or is the phono section shot on this one? I'll be pretty bummed, but it's not as though the Sansui sounds bad. If the phone section on the SX-1080 is shot, could I conceivably use the Sansui phono preamp and jump that to the SX-1080? I probably wouldn't do it because of space issues, but I'm not opposed to it. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Are both phono inputs not working?

According to the SM if you have a mic plugged in, it will prevent phono2 from working.
 
Just to be certain, you are using an MM cartridge on your record player, right?

Check the power rails and make sure that the phono ICs are getting the right voltage. You should see something like 44V across pins 4 and 8.

schematics here

maybe you should double check that the TT didn't decide to take morning this as an opportunity to crap out first.

EDIT:
I would check the voltages at the filter caps just to avoid accidentally shorting the pins on the IC. See the photo. You should see 44.2V from + to - or 22.1V from gr to - and from + to gr. (Maybe you already know this, but I don't want anyone to screw up their equipment on account of me.)

-amerloc
 

Attachments

  • 1080detail1.jpg
    1080detail1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I am running a Shure M97xE on a Dual 1226. When the exact set up was hooked to my Sansui 4000 it worked fine. I don't have a meter to test the SX-1080, but I'm suspecting what you mention could be true. I'll be a bit bummed since I won't know how to fix the Pioneer. The Sansui performs admirably, but I will say for FM I do like the SX-1080. I feel the tuner is not as good, though. Probably need an antenna.
 
Dirty input selector switch? Have you tried jiggling it? Deoxit?

Possibly. I reckon I could open it up and squirt away. Probably hit the RCA jacks on the back as well. It just seems odd that the aux input works (it was hooked to a CD player when I demo'd it). I'm more annoyed I have to lug the thing out to the garage again to clean it. Freakin thing is heavy.
 
Did you move the DUAL at all? If so you might have dislodged the Cartridge holder in the headshell. Remove and re-insert before lugging the 1080.

Larry
 
Here's a bit of an update. First, apparently the 'tape monitors' need to be set to off. Go figure. That's what happens when you get a new toy with lots of bells and whistles.

I can get sound out of one channel, but there is a good deal of static. I found that if I wiggled the Phono 1 button, I could clean it up or lose it altogether. I suspect this will require a healthy dose of DeOxit, since that seems to be the miracle cure. Would I be correct in assuming this, or is there something more nefarious (and expensive) afoot? My copy of "Into the Wild" is due in soon, and I'll be rather unhappy if I cannot play it on this set up. :(
 
Here's a bit of an update. First, apparently the 'tape monitors' need to be set to off. Go figure. That's what happens when you get a new toy with lots of bells and whistles.

I can get sound out of one channel, but there is a good deal of static. I found that if I wiggled the Phono 1 button, I could clean it up or lose it altogether. I suspect this will require a healthy dose of DeOxit, since that seems to be the miracle cure. Would I be correct in assuming this, or is there something more nefarious (and expensive) afoot? My copy of "Into the Wild" is due in soon, and I'll be rather unhappy if I cannot play it on this set up. :(

I'm not sure what type of switch is on your unit.
On my 950 I sometimes have similar problems and it's the pushbutton type phono switch.
Very hard to clean. Sometimes just pushing it in and out a bunch of times is helpful for a while.
 
Here's the advice I got when I had the same problem with the phono switch on an SX-1280:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257139

If you still only get sound from one channel you should swap the phono cables L<->R to determine if the problem is in the receiver or in the turntable. If it's in the turntable then it might be a problem with the cartridge or a dirty connection at the headshell.

Do you get sound from both channels with other sources (CD,radio)?

After you clean switches and connectors, make sure you give them time to dry before turning the receiver back on!
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure what type of switch is on your unit.
On my 950 I sometimes have similar problems and it's the pushbutton type phono switch.
Very hard to clean. Sometimes just pushing it in and out a bunch of times is helpful for a while.

Jiggling the button seemed to do it. I reckon they are quite dirty, so I'll have to get in there with the miracle spray. For the time being, I think I found the 'zen' spot and it's working well. That's good, because my MOV copy on the Into the Wild soundtrack came today, and I'd have been pretty annoyed if I couldn't play it.

This talk of jiggling buttons has my mind wandering... :D
 
Back
Top Bottom