• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SX-780 vs. Technics SA-600 - - Two Old Friends

Phase700b

AK Lurker & Kinsman
* Pictures Just Below *

I'm posting this mostly because I sure wish I had a similar comparison between late 70s era receivers such as these when I was considering a purchase. And, to hopefully highlight a few high points of each. Indeed, on appearance alone, both of these receivers are impressive, and even more so, given the modest price they can be obtained for. . . at least as of this writing. This will by no means be a comprehensive technical review, but rather some observations I made over a 3 month period when I pulled these both out of my collection to play in two different rooms and two sets of speakers.

To begin with, both the Technics SA-600 and Pioneer SX-780, offer similar features and are mid powered receivers with +50 to +70 RMS watts per channel. Not the powerhouse models of their day, but they both are more than competent and beauties to gaze upon if a vintage experience is what you are looking for. Both offer the same array of input/outputs with a phono, dual tape I/O monitor, Aux., and Tuner inputs; as well as dual speaker outputs that can handle a 4 ohm load, at least according to specs. Both have single ganged Bass and Treble tone controls, Loudness switch, Hi/Lo filters (the Technics has added Hi/Lo Boost), as well as FM muting and speaker output selection.

Both units consist of a beautiful extruded champagne/silver aluminum front panel, with the characteristic large knobs and many buttons, along with the thin, vinyl veneer cabinets common on lower priced units of the late 70's. I'm not sure that $350 to $500 was all that "low end" back in 1978! ;) Indeed, consider what this type of construction would cost today. I found both these units have their merits and are well worth consideration for those who may want to return to a vintage experience and listen to some LPs or FM Stereo again, yet do not want to break the bank. On a side note. . some very nice Sony models such as the STR-7065, STR-7055, and even older STR-6065/55 can be found for similar prices or a bit more and have real wood veneer cabinets and arguably better performance.


Now on to some differences and comparisons. Both units have power output indication with dual black faced meters on the Pioneer SX-780 and a colorful LED display on the Technics SA-600 with the plus of added dual range mode so that you can have a light show even at lower volume. The Technics also has both an FM/AM signal strength meter as well as an FM tuning meter. The Pioneer SX-780 only offers a center tuned FM meter , so a plus goes to the Technics SA-600. The speaker connection on the Technics, however, are a bit unique. They are a barrel type terminal with red/black color for speaker + and - and operate by inserting a bared speaker wire inside the connector and turning it 1/4 turn thereby pinching the wire internally to make the connection. Even 3/4" of bared wire leaves no chance of external shorts. They are a bit quirky to get used to though, as I was never sure how far to insert the speaker wire and not sure of durability. I think a little silicone spry or dry lube in each connector would help. The Pioneer offers a push and release type of speaker connection, but care must be taken to not strip too much insulation off the the speaker wire as bared wire can remains outside of the connector.

As mentioned earlier, used both of these fine mid priced receivers in two different rooms as well as side by side using the same speakers. I happen to have two pair of Advent large speakers re foamed and in fine shape. I also connected up a paid of Playback (EPI) Model II A 8" 2-way speakers w/ 1" soft dome tweeter, and a pair of American Acoustic DS-88 speakers with dual 8" drivers and 1" tweeter with acoustic lens tech (actually a pretty good speaker for the $$). I used each receiver in both locations as well as side by side with the Advents and switched receivers into the locations. Why these speakers? Well, I do have a set of B&W DM 603 S2 and DM 640i and have connected the Pioneer SX-780 to them, but reasoned the fore mentioned speakers are more representative of what most people buying a mid priced receiver would use. Besides, with the B&W the same basic sound characteristics were noted and are in my main system use and difficult to make connections.

The short take is that the Technics has a great low noise phono stage and that makes it a good choice for someone wanting to get back into vinyl and possibly dubbing some tapes or ripping to a computer from the receiver tape outputs. The Pioneer uses an early IC phono stage which were noted for noise and not the best in some other regards. That said, if the Pioneer is used with a higher output phono cartridge of 4.5mv or higher, acceptable performance is obtained. The Technics is better period for phono use.

On the other hand, the Technics SA-600 seems to have a more forward sound to it, but sounds detailed and jazz, classical and rock sound really good on it in my opinion. It seems to run a bit more on the treble and mid frequencies, which seems to work well for jazz and classical revealing a lot of musical detail. This unit seems very well suited for background listening at a distance, such as a for daily use with the FM Tuner section. Vocal and mid range material carry a long distance with the Technics. Old time Big Band sounded very nice on this unit. Also, if you just want plain LOUD rock on it for party, it also would serve well. It's well suited, though, with both a bass and treble boost as well as loudness control to find a sweet spot for your speakers.

The Pioneer seems to have a warmer over all sound more suited to intimate listening and offers a smooth, detailed and clean sound from any source be it vinyl, FM stereo, tape or CD. It is better suited for close up, serious listening and is a pleasure to spend time with. No matter which speaker I used with it, the sound was full and warm, yet soft detail was present in all music whether it was U2, Coldplay, Linda Ronstadt and Nelson Riddle, Sting, Micheal Buble, or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Yes, over all for sound, even with the somewhat noisey phono stage, I prefer the Pioneer. But neither would I through out the Technics.

The Pioneer SX-780 is closer to the warm sound produced from units such as the Sony STR-6065/55, STR-7065/55,STR-6200 and some others. These Sony units are also overlooked by many people and when found in good shape or restored offer a very clean tube like sound. Yes, they are among my favorites and often found with those great wooden cases.

Which brings us to power output. Both will deliver all the sound volume needed to have the neighbors complain if you want that. Perhaps the Technics a bit more, but all in the mid range and high end. If you want unit with warmer bass, then Pioneer has that and without being boomy or even having to move the bass control off dead center, except in possibly some program material (this is with or without using the Loudness switch).





Technics SA-600

TechnicsSA-600Frt2.jpg


Pioneer SX-780

PioneerSX-780Frt2.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Technics SA-600 Frt2.jpg
    Technics SA-600 Frt2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Pioneer SX-780 Frt 2.jpg
    Pioneer SX-780 Frt 2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Very nice . . and you have the manuals! Did you buy the SA-600 new?

As far as sound goes, I am still writing the thread start as I experienced a crash and did not "save" my text as I usually do when writing. So...

I will get to the sound comparison, but suffice it to say I find the discrete phono stage of the Technics to be much lower noise than the Pioneer SX-780 and also appreciate the true discrete transistor output of the Technics rather than the now hard to find STK-5050 modules in the Pioneer. The Pioneer phono still sounds ok as long as it is used with a higher output MM cartridge of 4.5 mv or higher. On the other hand, the tone control on the Technics seems a bit unbalanced and has an overall forward sound to it which is fine for jazz or classical and seems to offer a lot of detail, but bass sometimes seems boomy or thin and difficult to find a sweet spot setting. The Pioneer SX-780 seems to be a warmer smoother sound, still offers good detail in the music, and a smoother more predictable bass line. The phono stage in the Techics is much better than the Pioneer however. So, pros and cons.
 
Last edited:
I love em both,though I lean more towards the 780.A little better build quality.Soundwise pretty close but I never compared them side by side.As far as looks the 780 hands down.
 
I love em both,though I lean more towards the 780.A little better build quality.Soundwise pretty close but I never compared them side by side.As far as looks the 780 hands down.


I liked them both also, but the Pioneer SX-780 sound is smoother to me, at least in the units I have. Also, build quality is better in some areas, others not such as the phone section. And I tried them on two sets of speakers in two different rooms and also side by side.

I really liked the Technics with the dual FM tuning and signal strength meter as well as the Dual Range LED power output display. And the phono stage is discrete in the Technics and quiet(!). The Pioneer has a noisier IC phono stage due to the use of IC components that started to be introduced commonly in that era. On the other hand, The Pioneer units have the STK output modules which are getting hard to find, but work great when you get a good set.
 
Last edited:
Good thread! Nice to see comparisons done with good, affordable receivers.
I personally love the Technics' design. Analog design overall, but a nice contrast with the digital power meter! Lookin' for one of these around my area, no luck so far.
 
I had a 500 or 600 (can't remember which tho). Against my SX-790 (black dial face version) the Technics was thin, and kind of shrill, or more sterile if you will. Both units recapped to spec's. Test speakers were NOVA 8B's.

The Technics also had a NON SHIELDED bottom plate (cardboard) where the sx-790 has a full metal bottom plate. Additional shielding. When pioneer used cardboard or masonite, they at least glued foil to the bottom and grounded it to the chassis.

My vote goes to the 780/790.

Larry
 
I had a 500 or 600 (can't remember which tho). Against my SX-790 (black dial face version) the Technics was thin, and kind of shrill, or more sterile if you will. Both units recapped to spec's. Test speakers were NOVA 8B's.

The Technics also had a NON SHIELDED bottom plate (cardboard) where the sx-790 has a full metal bottom plate. Additional shielding. When pioneer used cardboard or masonite, they at least glued foil to the bottom and grounded it to the chassis.

My vote goes to the 780/790.

Larry

I agree on those two points also. I used the words more" forward" sounding, but shrill at times too with some program material. I have heard this said from other Technics owners. But I did find that the "shrill" or forward nature could be toned down a bit, and it actually was ok for some jazz or classical and also worked well if just used as a daily listening receiver for back ground music or at a distance. Vocal dialog was projected as though the mid range and high end was a bit high.

I did like the over all appearance of the Technics SX-600 though, with the detent and numbered black ring around the volume and the use of both and FM signal meter and center turning meter. Not to mention the Dual range LED power output LED display. And, it has a lower noise phone stage than the Pioneer for those who wish to play some vinyl.

I find both units good bang for the money no matter what choice.:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Good thread! Nice to see comparisons done with good, affordable receivers.
I personally love the Technics' design. Analog design overall, but a nice contrast with the digital power meter! Lookin' for one of these around my area, no luck so far.

I see some on E*** now and then, but tough to find local. I think I would jump on an SA-800/900/1000. I have not seen many 900 or a 1000 at all. If I happened upon one of those I would build a wooden case for it!
 
hi everyone. this is my first post. have been lurking around for a while. i have the opportunity to get a pioneer sx780 for about 200 dollars, fantastic condition and shipped free. is it a good deal? I'm from India where all this stuff is a little hard to come by..
 
hi everyone. this is my first post. have been lurking around for a while. i have the opportunity to get a pioneer sx780 for about 200 dollars, fantastic condition and shipped free. is it a good deal? I'm from India where all this stuff is a little hard to come by..

Welcome.Yep sounds like a pretty good deal.The 780 is a great little receiver.:tresbon:
 
thanks for the replies.. i got it and am enjoying it. way better than the yammy 6.1 90 watter it replaced :music: its my 1st piece of vintage.. but im addicted... i got a kenwood ka 5500, a sansui 9090db, a sansui 5000x and a sansui tu9500 soon after... definitely not good for the wallet:tears:
 
Back
Top Bottom